dcsimg

Practice for new welders

This topic contains 49 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Oh good, and is he in oshawa? wouldn’t mind learning a few tips and tricks. I still need to get a welder though.

youtube has a bunch of how to welding videos that are really good as wel as several channels dedicated to welding tips.

yah but nothing beats having someone close by that can really show you exactly the details

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Here is a great site with a ton on info on welding.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

I’ve never welded proffessionaly, but have welded at home for years, built many projects and tools etc. I have an industrial 250 amp hobart high frequency tig/stick machine and a little 180 amp lincoln mig. My suggestions to anyone wanting to learn is this, if cost is an issue look for a used lincoln or miller or hobart mig machine. Get a 220v model of at least 170 amps, with a bottle of tri mix gas. The low cost, low amp machines with flux core wire just don’t give good results imo. Watch a few videos to get the techniques, and give it a go, play with the settings so you know how they affect your welds, it really doesn’t take long to be decent at welding mild steel, and it adds an amazing amount of possibilities to what you can do at home in your shop. Mig welding is simpler, cleaner and easier to learn than even stick welding, and a machine like i described will cover 95% of what a hobbiest will want to fabricate

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s a great site ,,how do you find this stuff

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is good site along with their youtube channel. Lots of info and videos to follow along.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

I think there’s so many really good you tube channels these days that i would consider a welding course optional, especially for mig welding mild steel. Of course an actual training class is a good thing, if unavailable in your area, or if the cost is too high, don’t let that discourage anyone from learning on your own.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I would love to learn this skill. There are some classes near me that I’d like to take someday. It would be a very nice skill to have.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I would love to learn this skill. There are some classes near me that I’d like to take someday. It would be a very nice skill to have.

If you know the basics youtube can help. If you do not have any experience then go take a beginners welding class. Well worth the time and expense.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

If you know the basics youtube can help. If you do not have any experience then go take a beginners welding class. Well worth the time and expense.

Over a decade ago I took a beginners 6 week evening class that was being offered by a local high school. @mrfid, Well worth it start off with.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Anonymous

Great advice, I was good friends with the welding instructor at my job and even though it wasn’t my job to weld he taught me anyway

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.009 seconds