dcsimg

Practice for new welders

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

practice practice and more practice, i have seen many try and even some iron workers that do sloppy work. Just like the food industry not enough inspectors

DrCoolhand
    Pro
    McAllen, TX

When you complete the class do get a certificate saying you can legally weld or it is a personal class .

They get either a Structural welding certificate or a Combo cert, which involves pipe welding. We can’t officially certify welders with the AWS because we don’t have a Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) on staff, but we’re working on that.

But our student do take the same test that is used to certify welders in the field, so they shouldn’t be too surprised when they try to get a job.

Yes, my name is Luke. No, you are not my Father.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Welding is a skill that I’m about to be forced to learn. I’ve got probably 25 different pieces of furniture at work that needs to be repaired. Without a welder, it’s not going to happen. Im doing some research now and will probably buy a lower end model soon. Thanks for the great info here! I’ll be following along.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Welding is a skill that I’m about to be forced to learn. I’ve got probably 25 different pieces of furniture at work that needs to be repaired. Without a welder, it’s not going to happen. Im doing some research now and will probably buy a lower end model soon. Thanks for the great info here! I’ll be following along.

Well a good way to jump in. Good luck.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

BillyJ
    Pro

As a welder/fabricator for over 10 years, I have found that a great deal of skill has been learned with out even lighting up a tig rig.. For more advanced learnings I challenge the new tig welders to “walk the cup” on a mason jar. This is to teach you to relax the wrist and fingers while maintaining great form! Practice is always mandatory if a person wants to fully achieve all of his or her goals! Have fun with it!

As a welder/fabricator for over 10 years, I have found that a great deal of skill has been learned with out even lighting up a tig rig.. For more advanced learnings I challenge the new tig welders to “walk the cup” on a mason jar. This is to teach you to relax the wrist and fingers while maintaining great form! Practice is always mandatory if a person wants to fully achieve all of his or her goals! Have fun with it!

Good info. Looked up what “walking the cup” meant and saw some videos on it. Want to learn how to weld and all this info helps.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

This Is something I want to learn. I tried buying a stick welder of Kijiji, that was a mess never worked. When I get the time I want to buy a mig welding setup.

Welding in the angle iron looks like a nice way to practice. I am hoping to get a welder sometime soon. I did some welding with a friend’s setup in the past, it was a great way to make the project I was working on.

sergey061478
    Blocked

great pictures, i always wanted to try my hand at welding but have not had a chance yet

To be good at welding, it takes, prcatice, practice & even more practice. I took a welding class in a local community college, many moons ago. Then when I was re-hired by United States steel, Corp. They eventually, sent me back to weld school. It was a semi-long coarse, 5 weeks of constant welding & in all positions. As when your a pipefitter you have to weld pipe in all positions. After awhile the practice pays off. In real life we weld not just in the shop. Anyone can weld there. But, welding out in the field that’s where you find out what your made off. There’s nothing like laying on your back on a wooden skid to keep you out of the water while your welding overhead. Ohhhh, the good old days, how I miss them, 🙂 !!.

lulu
    Pro

thans luke I’m just now learning to weld so that will really help me pot. one thing I suggest is wear a very heavily starched shirt. it helps repel the flames.

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

There’s nothing like laying on your back on a wooden skid to keep you out of the water while your welding overhead. Ohhhh, the good old days, how I miss them,

Yep pipefitters really have to know their welding, all positions and angles as well as leak free.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I can weld but not always real pretty. I have a mig welder just to fix what breaks around here and some body work. I have access to a couple stick welders but I never know what rods to use and how high to set the welder on. I just fixed the mower deck that broke with a torch and a rod. Still holding good.

yellaD
    Pro

I’ve had plenty of opportunities to try welding at different jobs but never took the opportunity, now it would be a great skill to have even for fun, nvm the work available.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’ve had plenty of opportunities to try welding at different jobs but never took the opportunity, now it would be a great skill to have even for fun, nvm the work available.

Thats the thing, finding a welding machine at a decent price range and juice to run it as everyone suggest getting the 220volt ones. I really want to learn how to weld so in the future I won’t be stumped when I need something welded.

yellaD
    Pro

I recommended this site to a guy at work who knows welding. I hope he posts soon!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I recommended this site to a guy at work who knows welding. I hope he posts soon!

Oh good, and is he in oshawa? wouldn’t mind learning a few tips and tricks. I still need to get a welder though.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Oh good, and is he in oshawa? wouldn’t mind learning a few tips and tricks. I still need to get a welder though.

youtube has a bunch of how to welding videos that are really good as wel as several channels dedicated to welding tips.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks like a good practice piece to weld. I just bought a little 110V DC stick welder (yes I know the 220V would be better but for the price, I couldn’t pass). I hope to try it out tomorrow. I have done some welding in the past but only MIG and TIG with borrowed welders, so hopefully I will be able to pick up the stick pretty quickly.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I’d give a right nugget to learn how to weld. Now I wish I didn’t cheat in shop class.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.586 seconds