dcsimg

Practice for new welders

This topic contains 49 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)
  • Author

DrCoolhand
    Pro
    McAllen, TX

As an instructor, I deal with a lot of complete beginners. Some have never seen welding up close before. So I hope to help those who are trying on their own and possibly learn something myself.

Outside of just welding on a flat piece of steel over and over again, there are a few projects that we can do to focus on different aspects of welding. Hopefully later I can post some videos on how I accomplish these goals.

But this is one of the first things we have all of our students do.

In these pictures we’re welding with GMAW, or mig, on mild steel. 2″angle iron, 6″long. There are 4 layers, and 10 individual beads stacked in the “groove.”

One of the reasons we have students do this exercise is to a) save money for us and b) put a lot of welds in a small area.

Eventually you make it all the way flush with the top, but you get the idea. This is a good exercise for GMAW, SMAW, GTAW, FCAW, or anything else you want to weld with.

Yes, my name is Luke. No, you are not my Father.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Welding is something I’ve never had the opportunity to try or learn but would like to…

Resident Sign Guy

staker
    Pro

I have a stick welder but still need a lot of practice, I like the welding iv the angle Iron Thanks have to try that.

I like that idea you do with the welding . How long is the class you teach .

Always willing to learn .

DrCoolhand
    Pro
    McAllen, TX

We typically have full semester, once a week, 8 hours a day classes. So if you take 3 classes, you’ll see us for 3 full days a week.

Lots of time for practice.

Yes, my name is Luke. No, you are not my Father.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That would be great if you post some how to videos , I took welding in school and picked it up pretty fast unfortunately I forget it just as fast as I got older . I would love to do it again , there are all kinds of things I could build using both wood and steel combined .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

That is a great way to get 4 separate practice areas on scrap metal. I do a little bit of welding and am basically self taught. I cant say my welds are pretty but I get by. I may use your idea for practice..

Thanks for joining the forum and enjoy.

We typically have full semester, once a week, 8 hours a day classes. So if you take 3 classes, you’ll see us for 3 full days a week.

Lots of time for practice.

When you complete the class do get a certificate saying you can legally weld or it is a personal class .

Always willing to learn .

Anonymous

I can weld, And my welds hold. But they ain’t real pretty, And I have developed a hate for that last stick welder I borrowed LOL. It was an AC only and I struggled with it, Before that one I had an AC/DC that seemed to work better for me on DC. I worked in shops all my life and took a few lessons from the Pros, Ok now you know everything I know about it LOL….I did build a 4’x8′ flatbed trailer 15 years ago from scratch that I still use today. Then two years ago I added some width to the rear end and had it painted again, Here’s the thread on it but since yer a pro welder you are forbidden to look at the welds very close 🙂 Especially on the addition, It’s ok to look at the rest of them though, They were from 15 years ago and I was better at it then……I think

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/widening-my-golfcart-trailer/

Welding is something I’ve never had the opportunity to try or learn but would like to…

I’m right there with you. This looks like a really great way to practice. Too bad you are in TX otherwise I would be bugging you for some instruction!

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t weld at all. It is something I’d like to learn tho.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DrCoolHand very nice beads you laid down there,

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I love welding, we will weld up the occasional bracket or tack up a pipe spool. I’m more experienced with soldering and brazing though.

KenW
    Pro

I tried to get my dad to teach me when in high school. He showed me one time.. must not have been good at it. Though I’ve done some super amateur welding since then that was more playing around then real work.

@drcoolhand
    If you could post some videos, that would be great. I always wanted to learn so I can weld stuff for my cars. Thanks for the info.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Welding really is just a lot of practice after you learn the basics. Having attended many welding classes pre-youtube it was really learning a few tips, practicing, and having the instructor critique the beads. Lots of welding videos out there on youtube. Get a mid-priced arc welder, auto-darkening helmet (HF is fine) some all purpose rods and 1/4″ steel plates (cut up in various size pieces). Once you learn how to strike an arc, then just practice making stitches on your 1/4′ plate scraps. The idea is to completely cover your steel plate with beads. Once it is done do it again and again. When you start to get good looking beads (compare yours to the ones on youtube) then practice joining 2 pieces of 1/4″ steel together at various angles 30, 60, 45, & 90 degrees. That really is it. Test your welded pieces y seeing how much it takes to break the weld. If it breaks easily then you didn’t get a good weld all the way through. Practice again, slow down a bit and let the weld go all the way through.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous

Welding really is just a lot of practice after you learn the basics. Having attended many welding classes pre-youtube it was really learning a few tips, practicing, and having the instructor critique the beads. Lots of welding videos out there on youtube. Get a mid-priced arc welder, auto-darkening helmet (HF is fine) some all purpose rods and 1/4″ steel plates (cut up in various size pieces). Once you learn how to strike an arc, then just practice making stitches on your 1/4′ plate scraps. The idea is to completely cover your steel plate with beads. Once it is done do it again and again. When you start to get good looking beads (compare yours to the ones on youtube) then practice joining 2 pieces of 1/4″ steel together at various angles 30, 60, 45, & 90 degrees. That really is it. Test your welded pieces y seeing how much it takes to break the weld. If it breaks easily then you didn’t get a good weld all the way through. Practice again, slow down a bit and let the weld go all the way through.

Nice info Bill, It takes practice for sure. And a LOT of it, I bought an auto-darkening helmet last year from HF. I was really scared about it but I’ll tell ya that thing has worked flawlessly, It’s adjustable and very lightweight

Welding would be a new experience for me too. We could fill a welding class with the guys posting here except for distance. Perhaps we could all go to Hawaii to accommodate Dirty. Especially this time of year. LOL

I look forward to learning whatever I can here. Thanks for posting.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

I think I do OK. Here’s the legs from a SS work table my brother picked up for free. The leveling adjusters were toast. One was missing, another beyond repair. Decided to just remove and replace them by welding SS nuts to the legs and use bolts as adjusters. Here’s the first leg done, but still needs some flap wheel work to make it pretty

Thanks for the info. I’m probably going to look for a good used welder or maybe a good, lower priced new one.

Any suggestions? Looking for something I can learn on, run off 110V and can at be useful for a while. Welding sheet metal and exhaust.

Maybe a max of $600.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.733 seconds