dcsimg

Powermatic PWBS-14CS Review

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I knew I had to upgrade from my Ryobi bench top bandsaw to a big boy bandsaw. I wasn’t sure in which direction I wanted to go. I knew the next band saw had to be the perfect fit as I didn’t want to continue upgrading, I wanted one that could handle everything I can throw at it. I happen to stumble upon a Powermatic PWBS-14CS on my local Kijiji. This band saw came with the riser block installed and ready to go, I was ecstatic, loaded up the truck and took her home.

Here are some specifications

Style (Type)
    Bandsaw
    Band Saw Size/Wheel Diameter (In.)
    Cutting Capacity Width (In.)
    13-1/2
    Cutting Capacity Height (In.)
    Blade Length (In.)
    93-1/2
    Minimum Saw Blade Width (In.)
    1/8
    Maximum Saw Blade Width (In.)
    3/4
    Blade Speed (SFPM)
    Table Size (L x W) (In.)
    15 x 15
    Table Height from Floor (In.)
    Table Tilt (Deg.)
    10 Left, 45 Right
    Table Size with Extension (L x W)
    15 x 20-1/2
    Dust Port Outside Diameter (In.)
    Motor Power (HP)
    1-1/2
    Motor Phase
    Motor Voltage (V.)
    115/230
    Prewired Voltage (V.)
    Motor Current (Amps)
    11/5.5

While taking this beast of a machine home, I had to disassemble it part way as I wanted to make sure everything was down right and tight as I had quite a distance to travel. In this regard, I have to say was easy, and putting it all back together again was just as simple. It was as close to plug and play as it possibly can.

There are a couple features that I feel should be mentioned. The first being the table, it is larger then normal, The table is 15 by 15. It is a great surface to work on, you never feel like you need more space. I also enjoyed having the blower to clear the cutting area, it really helps you follow a line. They have also included a attached lamp on the side which illuminates the workspace. It also comes with the Cater quick tension adjust which just helps at the end of the day when you need to de-tension the blade, you just move it like you are on a slot machine.

I find that most problems people have with the bandsaw is drift, everyone complains about it. However this is one problem that can be solved. I am sure everyone has seen the famous Carter bandsaw alignment video on youtube. They use a Powermatic to demo how they align everything to eliminate drift. I am not 100% sure but it looks like they have included Carter guide bearings and I have found if you follow the instructions to a T, drift is eliminated but you will need to re align everything once you switch blades.

Through my usage of the machine for my woodworking projects, I have come to the conclusion that this was a great buy. I would reccomend it to anyone who needs a band saw, and one that works as great as this one. So far the machine has worked flawlessly for me. I have ripped, re-sawed, crosscut, and followed curved lines and I have yet to encounter a problem.

I have no comment on the instruction manuals or any of the other written documents or boxing material as the person whom I purchased it from didn’t keep them after they put it together.

Wow, that’s a great piece of kit there. Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps you could get a manual from Powermatic?

That looks great! Whats the size of the footprint? If I wanted one of those and had a corner to wheel it into, how big of a floor space does it take at its biggest part?

I have the predecessor to that model. I agree, Powermatic makes great woodworking equipment. Enjoy making sawdust.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That looks like a great buy to me! What can you tell us about the resawing capabilities? That would be my main usage for a bandsaw ( i think…)

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Great write up on your Powermatic Bandsaw. I wonder how much of an up grade it is to an older 70’s Rockwell? Design looks like it haven’t changed much.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

great review aaron – I definitely want to get a bandsaw one day myself.
    I always keep an eye open for some powermatic on craiglist or local papers but they are rare to find haha

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

The powermatic sounds like a winner, for sure. Great review, thanks, @r-ice.

The stand looks to be a solid unit; is that part of the package or an option? Is the fence shown on the table standard or is that an upgrade?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I knew I had to upgrade from my Ryobi bench top bandsaw to a big boy bandsaw.

r-ice now that is one nice band saw. Very nice review as well. Thank you for posting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Wow, that’s a great piece of kit there. Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps you could get a manual from Powermatic?

I think I can download one from their resource centre, but you know what i haven’t had to use it lol.

That looks great! Whats the size of the footprint? If I wanted one of those and had a corner to wheel it into, how big of a floor space does it take at its biggest part?

Its fairly small and it fits great in my workshop, however you do have to pull it away from the wall to use. If you want exact sizing, i can run to the shop and get it. Its basically the table plus the riser bar area.

That looks like a great buy to me! What can you tell us about the resawing capabilities? That would be my main usage for a bandsaw ( i think…)

So far i’ve re-sawed black locust with @yellad and it went fine, that time I bogged the machine down as I had some no name dulled out blades.

Great write up on your Powermatic Bandsaw. I wonder how much of an up grade it is to an older 70’s Rockwell? Design looks like it haven’t changed much.

I don’t know how much of an upgrade it would be, i mean many of the older machines can run circles around some of the newer stuff. I know the carter accessories would definitely be a game changer on the older stuff. I love the carter guides as well as the carter tension bar, reminds me of playing slots while woodworking.

The powermatic sounds like a winner, for sure. Great review, thanks, @r-ice.

The stand looks to be a solid unit; is that part of the package or an option? Is the fence shown on the table standard or is that an upgrade?

I believe the stand is included in the package, if I am not mistaken the riser block is as well when you buy it from certain places online.

great review aaron – I definitely want to get a bandsaw one day myself.
    I always keep an eye open for some powermatic on craiglist or local papers but they are rare to find haha

Thats why when i saw this on kijiji, i jumped on it. The price was much less than retail and it looked like the owner hadn’t used it. It was practically brand new.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I went and measured for you, it is approximately 26 x 31. Depends if you change out the dust chute, mine was a little longer and extended a bit further out.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Appears like a nice score on a great machine. That one should last you a good long while.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Appears like a nice score on a great machine. That one should last you a good long while.

Oh it has lasted me a bit already, I’ve been using it for a while now since I got it. I am just lazy on going to get new blades. I think this will last me quite a bit, and i don’t think i’ll outgrow it, seems to be able to handle everything I throw at it, especially once i get a few new blades.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have never heard anything bad about Powermatic tools. The all seem to be built pretty robust. Solid equipment.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MTRoads
    Pro

What tasks for the bandsaw are you getting blades for? Curvy stuff, resawing, general use?

Stan

Awesome review, I am still in the planning for a better band saw group, but that needs to wait for funding 🙂 Enjoy yourd, I may now consider a Powermatic if I can find one locally.

Will

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I have never heard anything bad about Powermatic tools. The all seem to be built pretty robust. Solid equipment.

They are top quality tools and you definitely pay for it. Brand new and even when they are used. they make a wide variety of tools.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

What tasks for the bandsaw are you getting blades for? Curvy stuff, resawing, general use?
    I

It’s more resetting and general use for what I do, eventually I want to do some bandsaw boxes, just spending alot of time on other projects.

Awesome review, I am still in the planning for a better band saw group, but that needs to wait for funding 🙂 Enjoy yourd, I may now consider a Powermatic if I can find one locally.

I was going to buy the Laguna 1412 but this powermatic deal came up and it was such an amazing deal I couldn’t say no.

MTRoads
    Pro

So probably starting out with a set at 3/4″, 1/2″ and 1/4″ blades?

Stan

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

So probably starting out with a set at 3/4″, 1/2″ and 1/4″ blades?

Yeah that’s probably what I would go for just to have on hand.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.588 seconds