dcsimg

Pour a channel – single pour – help a rookie

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JBphx
    Pro

I’ll knowledge first and foremost that I’m a novice and dreaming big. I want to pour a water feature in my backyard similar to fountain in the link below and the part that is tripping me up is how to go about the actual channel portion. I’ve been given some advice that it would be best to pour the bottom of the channel 1st with the appropriate slope, and then after it cures to come back and pour the actual size. But I wanna know is if it’s possible to pour it all at the same time? I want to minimize cold joints and reduce the cost of having a pumper trailer coming to my house twice. I envision forming two walls with the base of the channel exposed. In pouring stairs you have the challenge of different levels and this is basically the same issue albeit a greater height difference.

I’d love pro advice. Have would you do this?

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0aq5r1G3WFVGeOXUxXo2bKKUg#Uptown_Plaza

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

How about a photo. With the proper mix consistency, I would think a monolithic pour would be fine depending on size

JBphx
    Pro

Kurt, sorry about the photo. My original attempt failed due to file size. I’ve uploaded a slew of them to the link below:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0aq5r1G3WFVGeOXUxXo2bKKUg#Uptown_Plaza

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would think you could form that in one shot and strip and finish it adequately. It would be similar to a step form. I would wonder how much or a rookie you are and if you were up to it based on your self description. Usually only the better concrete finishers do those type of things.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

It is possible in one pour, but for a water feature you may be better suited to do two pours. If you were to incorporate a water stop in your base pour that tied in to your vertical pour, then you would already have protection against the inevitable cracking that happens with concrete.
    Look in to some building details on keyways and waterstops.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.314 seconds