dcsimg

Posts Disappearing After Edits of Long Winded Posts Problem/Solution.

• This topic has 366 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by Doobie.
Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 366 total)
  • Author

Test post. Looking for disappearing posts.

As a normal user no longer see Trash link in my own post.

BtP2012
    Keymaster
    Test City, IL

Hi all – just chiming in here with an update on the major issues.

First, the “Oops this page can’t be found” – this should be fixed, for now. For some reason the link structure is resetting. I don’t know the root cause on this but for now, you should be able to access the prize list again.

Second, from what I understand in reading through your helpful posts – some posts are disappearing. If I understand correctly, this happens when you try to quote a reply that already has a quote in it. I can confirm that is a bug, and I’ve tried many configuration and code changes to try to fix it, but ultimately believe it to be an issue with the plugin we use for that quoting functionality. I’ve reached out to that developer for help, and hope that he helps us with this.

If other posts are disappearing, they may be going to spam. There aren’t many there, and that’s not what’s happening to these nested quote posts. If someone knows a post of theirs that disappeared, let me know. I can look for your username in spam and see if that’s where the post ended up.

I do try to read through your notes, and the more descriptive they are the quicker I can replicate them and try to find root cause. The reality is, this site was built a long time ago and lots has changed with the internet as a whole. We’re doing our best to limp through and get things patched. Thank you for your help and patience.

– the elusive webmaster 🙂

@RonW
    Thanks for sending out the helpline Ron
    And thank you for chiming into BTP 👍🙏

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Thank you btp2012 for looking into this for us. Nice to see most things back to normal again.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

@btp2012 thank you.

One issue is we can no longer have images embedded in the post. In the past we could write a post with multiple linked images using the IMG tags (in square brackets, before and after the image link).

We can still do that but it’s limited to one image per post. Any more than that and the entire post is swallowed. So the work around is if you have a post that requires 3 images dispersed throughout, you have to do 3 separate posts.

I just started a thread in the ALL OTHER TRADES and the thread disappeared saying it’s PENDING MODERATION. No idea why though.

Doobie

I just started a thread in the ALL OTHER TRADES and the thread disappeared saying it’s PENDING MODERATION. No idea why though.

I went and approved your thread Sami. No idea why it got tossed into the basket for approval.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/is-this-mold-behind-the-wall/

Doobie

Hi all – just chiming in here with an update on the major issues.

First, the “Oops this page can’t be found” – this should be fixed, for now. For some reason the link structure is resetting. I don’t know the root cause on this but for now, you should be able to access the prize list again.

I now have instructions on how to fix the prize list page and the other main forum pages when they pooch again. Just tag me and I’ll fix it.

I may not post any longer, but I’ll still help out.

As you may have noticed, the webmaster gets busy at certain times of year and it can take a while at times for the webmaster to get back to us.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

RonW wrote= Thank you btp2012 for looking into this for us. Nice to see most things back to normal again.

Thanks RonW for reaching out to btp2012 for the help, looks like we now know how to get the help for the site.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

RonW wrote= Thank you btp2012 for looking into this for us. Nice to see most things back to normal again.

Thanks RonW for reaching out to btp2012 for the help, looks like we now know how to get the help for the site.

That seems to have raised concerns at BTP. Thanks, @ronw for making the case for us.

Looking forward to a more “normal” experience here.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW Thank you for the help.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I went and approved your thread Sami. No idea why it got tossed into the basket for approval.

Thank you doobie, I see it now. No idea what happened but the system seems to get hungry from time to time. I know more than one embedded images is a problem and nested quotes are problem that would get the post swallowed.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@btp2012 thank you.

I now have instructions on how to fix the prize list page and the other main forum pages when they pooch again. Just tag me and I’ll fix it.

I may not post any longer, but I’ll still help out.

As you may have noticed, the webmaster gets busy at certain times of year and it can take a while at times for the webmaster to get back to us.

Thanks Doobie!
    I believe others don’t realize tha the webmaster is busy. From what the webmaster said with this site being older there will be some issues. Any help is better then no help to keep this site open. But from what I see it is a matter of time before they close this site down.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

BtP2012
    Keymaster
    Test City, IL

@miamicuse Noted and added multiple image issue to the list. It may be the same issue as with nested quotes. The developer of the plugin (same one that provides both pieces of functionality) is in touch and I was able to see that site admins CAN do nested posting but participants cannot. So, we’re narrowing down the issue.

@btp2012 thank you.

One issue is we can no longer have images embedded in the post. In the past we could write a post with multiple linked images using the IMG tags (in square brackets, before and after the image link).

We can still do that but it’s limited to one image per post. Any more than that and the entire post is swallowed. So the work around is if you have a post that requires 3 images dispersed throughout, you have to do 3 separate posts.

Doobie

This thread is for discussing post disappearing issues and other problems related to recent forum software upgrade problems. All other posts not related have been removed. Please stick to the topic of this thread.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This thread is for discussing post disappearing issues and other problems related to recent forum software upgrade problems. All other posts not related have been removed. Please stick to the topic of this thread.

Hey, Kevin is back, Hope you enjoyed your vacation. Missed you. Glad to see you back.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

There still seems to be issues with double quote posts disappearing. I had this happen today @Doobie.

Greg

It seems like it’s 50/50 when I quote with a video , and definitely doesn’t post for me when I quote on another post that has already been quoted ,

Doobie

There still seems to be issues with double quote posts disappearing. I had this happen today @Doobie.

It seems like it’s 50/50 when I quote with a video , and definitely doesn’t post for me when I quote on another post that has already been quoted ,

Our beloved webmaster is working on this. She’s confounded as well and as she said previously is working with what is a fourth party support to see if this can be fixed for us all.

I know in looking at the Akismet folder and spam folder that it’s not that easy.

You all don’t realize that the Akismet built-in spam detector actually prevents a LOT of spams from showing up on the forum. In a given month, it detects well in around a thousand different spams that nobody has to deal with, but the odd one gets thru.

Part of the problem is that whenever there’s a new software upgrade, it can get in hyper mode, which is what I suspect it has been doing even with bonafide members which it normally should recognize as not being nefarious, but in this case it is to some degree.

As Akismet is an outside sourced add-on to the forum software and neither the webmaster can easily control/re-program it involves a lot trial and error thru many outside sources out there to identify what is needed to configure/fine-tune it back to where it needs to be.

I can see at one point what posts it has rejected. It’s not immediate. Posts spammed away sit in a ‘cyber space’ of sorts for a while and eventually show up as either approved and shown, or simply only viewable as spammed posts greyed out in threads only viewable to mods or admin only.

The commonality of what causes them is not distinct to me nor the webmaster for that matter since this has become rampant since around November when there was a massively sized forum software upgrade. But it is still being worked on.

And even with my Admin status, it has happened to me with my posts getting nixed. We just have to be patient. No worries with doing what we must to re-do our spammed posts in a different manner without what may be multi-quotes and/or links that have caused your posts to get spammed out.

I’ll repeat what was already said, this forum is an old dog, and she don’t like new tricks when it comes to software upgrades.

Glad you are all patient with this as I know how frustrating it can be especially after composing a long post that gets nixed.

I mentioned this before. Before leaving the screen or trying anew after you see your post didn’t post, hit your BACK button. You will likely see your drafted post. Just adjust away either links or delete the multi-posts and try re-posting and it’ll probably just post fine then. There will be no eyebrows raised by the moderation crew during this period in doing such where in doing so you will be garnering extra points for trying to fix your falsely errantly spammed posts.

I worry more about newbie members having this issue and wandering away from the forum because of it. Should someone see this happening to a newbie, let them know about this if you see such. Bonus points for those doing such are warrantable also. PM me if you take the time for the forum to do such.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Our beloved webmaster is working on this. She’s confounded as well and as she said previously is working with what is a fourth party support to see if this can be fixed for us all.

I know in looking at the Akismet folder and spam folder that it’s not that easy.

You all don’t realize that the Akismet built-in spam detector actually prevents a LOT of spams from showing up on the forum. In a given month, it detects well in around a thousand different spams that nobody has to deal with, but the odd one gets thru. Part of the problem is that whenever there’s a new software upgrade, it can get in hyper mode, which is what I suspect it has been doing. As Akismet is an outside sourced add-on to the forum software and neither the webnaster can easily control/re-program it involves a lot trial and error thru many outside sources out there to identify what is needed to configure/fine-tune it back to where it needs to be.

I can see at one point what posts it has rejected. It’s not immediate. Posts spammed away sit in a cyber space of sorts for a while and eventually show up as either approved and shown, or simply only viewable as spammed posts greyed out in threads to mods or admin only.

The commonality of what causes them is not distinct to me nor the webmaster for that matter since this has become rampant since around November when there was a massive forum software upgrade. But it is still being worked on.

And even with my Admin status, it has happened to me with posts getting nixed. We just have to be patient. No worries with doing what we must to re-do our spammed posts in a different manner without what may be multi-quotes and/or links that have caused your posts to get spammed out.

I’ll repeat what was already said, this forum is an old dog, and she don’t like new tricks when it comes to software upgrades. FWIW.

Take care guys, and glad you are all patient with this as I know how how frustrating it can be especially be after composing a long post that gets nixed.

I mentioned this before. Before leaving the screen or trying anew after you see you the post didn’t post, hit your BACK button. You will likely see your drafted post. Just adjust away either links or delete the multi-posts and try re-posting and it’ll probably just post fine then. There will be no eyebrows raised by the moderation crew during this period in doing such where in doing so you will be garnering extra points for trying to fix your falsely errantly spammed posts.

I worry more about newbie members having this issue and wandering away from the forum because of it. Should someone see this happening to a newbie, let them know about this if you see such. Bonus points for those doing such are warrantable also. PM me if you take the time for the forum to do such.

Thanks for the update. I didn’t know for sure if this problem was being worked on still.

Greg

BtP2012
    Keymaster
    Test City, IL

I’ve had some back and forth with the developer of the plugin that lets us do the quoting, images, and videos. He hasn’t found a solution yet, but we know the root cause is something to do with permissions, as admins can do all functions just fine, but participants cannot. Hopefully he’ll find the solution and release a patch soon. Thank you for your patience!

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 366 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.751 seconds