dcsimg

Posts Disappearing After Edits of Long Winded Posts Problem/Solution.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Hey guys, I had been having problems regularly the last few months with the forum SPAM software (a.k.a. ‘Akismet), tossing my posts in what I like to call CyberJail when I would go and edit a post shortly after having originally posted it. This could happen whether just doing minor spelling corrections edits or if adding a pic to my original post. The original post after editing just simply disappeared entirely.

AKISMET, the automated spam blocker on this forum, apparently blocks over 100 spams a day, it’s just that lately it has been starting to block legitimate posts also. Typically long posts that have had subsequent minor edits to them after they were originally posted by the original poster.

Working with Jim and the developer, we have come up with a potential solution for this, but the developer needs to know who you are so she can tweak what they did with me to potentially fix this issue in the forum’s software background.

Please post here that you have experienced this issue where editing longish posts have disappeared entirely on you AND preferably what thread this happened in if you know the thread and the location of the missing post (which Akismet may have in fact restored on its own since you last thought it was gone), please provide a link to it also.

NOTE: Let’s not litter this thread with needless commentary per Jim’s request as the developer will be following it at times and trust me, you don’t want this mean and nasty developer on your bad side. Next thing you know you’ll have a Pokemon Avatar you can’t remove…lol!

Timely thread.

Mine was in the “Ask the pro” section and titled “7 1/4″ circular saw recommendations?” I had inserted a link in the thread, which is what I now believe to have been the problem. The post was not overly long, nor edited.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

The average daily amount of spam posts that the Akismet plug in blocks is averages over 400 spam posts a day.

“Akismet has protected your site from 1,031,212 spam comments already.”

One method that is useful is to write longer posts in a Word doc and then simply copy and paste.

If you include a link in the post it may trigger Akismet to put you in spam jail. If it happens to you, please let us know about it here. Thanks to @doobie for taking the ball and running with it on this. It can be really annoying to spend a lot of time on a detailed post or a response and then to not have it show up is enough to drive one to the fridge for another cold one (or two).

So if you are planning on answering with a link or a longer post best to plan ahead and do it in another program and then simply cut and paste. If it doesn’t take, tell us about it here and we can hopefully get it posted either manually through sending it to @bethepro.com">bethepro@bethepro.com or just simply make sure we whitelist frequent posters.

Cheers,

jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I was trying to post a comment the other night and it kept not posting and sending me back to the first page of the thread. I had a few emojis in my oringal text, and every time I tried to copy and paste it back in I got the same response, but when I edited them out the last time, it worked. I’ll go see if I can find which thread it was and get back to you.

Edit: found it, it was

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/what-are-you-saving-up-for-version-14/page/45/

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

I was trying to post a comment the other night and it kept not posting and sending me back to the first page of the thread. I had a few emojis in my oringal text, and every time I tried to copy and paste it back in I got the same response, but when I edited them out the last time, it worked. I’ll go see if I can find which thread it was and get back to you.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/what-are-you-saving-up-for-version-14/page/45/

Which post was it in that thread Charlie?

@cmeyer25

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

637269 @doobie

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

Which post was it in that thread Charlie?

@cmeyer25

637269 @doobie

This post then.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/what-are-you-saving-up-for-version-14/page/45/#post-637269

Maybe I should mention this for future reference. There’s a way to link directly to a post in question.

See the post number in the upper right hand of the post in question? You just click on it, it’ll rise up that thread to make the post settle at the top of the viewing pane and now it’ll show that post in your address bar of your browser as being that post. Just copy and paste that address into this thread to have that specific post as the problematic post for reference.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@doobie thanks! I had no idea that that number was a link.

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@doobie thanks! I had no idea that that number was a link.

Never knew that, Thank you

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Not sure what happen last night. I add to a post and after I hit submit. Post disappeared and I was logged out. I never had this happen before.

Greg

Doobie

Not sure what happen last night. I add to a post and after I hit submit. Post disappeared and I was logged out. I never had this happen before.

In what thread?

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

In what thread?

It was in the thread. What did you do in the the shop site today. I was replying to the thread about income tax. After I saw it was missing I redid it.

Greg

Doobie

In what thread?

It was in the thread. What did you do in the the shop site today. I was replying to the thread about income tax. After I saw it was missing I redid it.

So was it this one Greg….

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/v-28-what-did-you-do-in-the-shop-site-today/page/37/#post-637578

Or was it this one….

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/v-28-what-did-you-do-in-the-shop-site-today/page/37/#post-637586

@gtokley

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

In what thread?

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/v-28-what-did-you-do-in-the-shop-site-today/page/37/#post-637578

Or was it this one….

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/v-28-what-did-you-do-in-the-shop-site-today/page/37/#post-637586

@gtokley

Sorry for the late reply Kevin. I pretty sure it wasn’t either one of those ones. After I submit it disappeared and logged me out of the the fourm. When logged back in the thread was gone. So started over again.

Greg

Doobie

In what thread?

Or was it this one….

@gtokley

Sorry for the late reply Kevin. I pretty sure it wasn’t either one of those ones. After I submit it disappeared and logged me out of the the fourm. When logged back in the thread was gone. So started over again.

Akismet software is kinda weird like that. I’ve seen it where it shows up the within the next day and at other times it’ll just keep it in its CyberJail forever.

I’ll report back to the developer that you’re having this prob regardless. Maybe she can do something, but it really helps her a lot when she knows exactly where an affected post was trashed for her to do her thing in the hackground on your ID to ‘clear a path’ for you so to speak so that it stops happening to regular forum members so that their posts are not accidentally getting recognized by Akismet as spam.

Since she worked on my ID, I haven’t had the problem and there have been multiple posts that I’ve done since where it would have happened in the past. I had it happen so often, I knew how I could make it happen at will. I do have a tendency to do longish posts, and that’s where it was happening in all cases with me was upon trying to do minor edits on them after the initially successful first posting of it, but one thing was different with you Greg…whenever it was happening with me, it never logged me out.

Something has just occured to me, although I can’t see it really being a factor, so far all three of us thus far that are known to have this disappearing post problem are all Canadians. Maybe Akismet thinks our Postal Codes versus Zip Codes in our ID profiles lends Akismet to think we’re all Russian hackers! Lol!

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

In what thread?

Or was it this one….

@gtokley

Akismet software is kinda weird like that. I’ve seen it where it shows up the within the next day and at other times it’ll just keep it in its CyberJail forever.

I’ll report back to the developer that you’re having this prob regardless. Maybe she can do something, but it really helps her a lot when she knows exactly where an affected post was trashed for her to do her thing in the hackground on your ID to ‘clear a path’ for you so to speak so that it stops happening to regular forum members so that their posts are not accidentally getting recognized by Akismet as spam.

Since she worked on my ID, I haven’t had the problem and there have been multiple posts that I’ve done since where it would have happened in the past. I had it happen so often, I knew how I could make it happen at will. I do have a tendency to do longish posts, and that’s where it was happening in all cases with me was upon trying to do minor edits on them after the initially successful first posting of it, but one thing was different with you Greg…whenever it was happening with me, it never logged me out.

Something has just occured to me, although I can’t see it really being a factor, so far all three of us thus far that are known to have this disappearing post problem are all Canadians. Maybe Akismet thinks our Postal Codes versus Zip Codes in our ID profiles lends Akismet to think we’re all Russian hackers! Lol!

Thanks Kevin. So if this happens to me again how to let the developer know. As I am new this kinda stuff. But I will do what I can to help out.
    Yes I could believe I got logged out. That was the first time it happen to me. Thanks again Kevin.

Greg

Doobie

Thanks Kevin. So if this happens to me again how to let the developer know. As I am new this kinda stuff. But I will do what I can to help out.
    Yes I could believe I got logged out. That was the first time it happen to me. Thanks again Kevin.

I offered to set up this thread just for this purpose with all this in mind and how to report back to Jim and the developer via emails on my end. That’s how aggravated and deep into this I got myself. So just keep bringing things up here related to this disappearing post issue Greg.

Just lookin to help out others and the forum itself. This has become my forum home so to speak and I don’t mind paying it forward for all that Bosch has done to minimize the green koolaid tone color in my tool arsenal to what is now mostly Bosch blue. Lol!

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I offered to set up this thread just for this purpose with all this in mind and how to report back to Jim and the developer via emails on my end. That’s how aggravated and deep into this I got myself. So just keep bringing things up here related to this disappearing post issue Greg.

Just lookin to help out others and the forum itself. This has become my forum home so to speak and I don’t mind paying it forward for all that Bosch has done to minimize the green koolaid tone color in my tool arsenal to what is now mostly Bosch blue. Lol!

That is very generous of you to take the time help others and the forum out. I understand what you mean. Bosch has done alot. Honestly knew nothing about Bosch tools until I became a member of the forum. I still don’t have many Bosch blues tools in my shop. But I will have more in the future. I really enjoy this forum.

Greg

Doobie

@GTokley

Hey Greg. I heard back from the developer/webmaster. She said you only had the one post that was in Akismet’s “CyberJail”, which she cleared on your profile for you, but seeing as you don’t have a host of them it may not help much to ‘teach’ Akismet that you are not a spammer and this could easily recur again on you.

She did point out that the reason for it being blocked was related to the use of an Emoji in the post. So if you are using Emojis from a third party, you may encounter the same problem again.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Emoji

@Doobie

Hey Kevin, Thanks for letting me know what the developer had to say. The funny thing here you is you said that I used a Emoji. I don’t recall using a Emoji in the thread. Plus I typed this on my lap top. Also I never use Emoji. But anyways thanks for the update.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.632 seconds