dcsimg

Positive Placement Metal Connector Nail Guns: Which one do you run?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    CB
    Spectator

Positive Placement Metal Connector Nail Guns: Which one do you run?

The title sums up the question.

They say the way to judge a saw is by the fence. Perhaps the way to judge a positive placement nail gun is by the nose.

On the wall at the local lumber yard, there is a remarkable difference between the noses of the two positive placement nail guns on display… the Hitachi NR65AK2 (and short mag S) and the Senco JoistPro™ 250XP.

Unfortunately, these guns are zipped tied firmly to the display wall, making a feel of their balance impossible to try first hand.

Yet there are other positive placement nail guns available online that are not even on display locally, like the Bostick F21PL, the F33PT, and the MCN250. I remember looking at a Bostich MCN65 about 25 years ago, but back then, metal connectors (seismic straps in particular) hadn’t so thoroughly seeped their way into code requirements like they have today.

Max only has a high pressure positive placement nail gun (HN65J), which requires specially collated nails that apparently are limited in availability, as well as a price prohibitive high pressure air system.

Paslode offers the PF250S-PP in their non powder actuated pneumatic line up, and DeWalt offers a 20v battery operated DCN693.

I’d like to stick with low pressure pneumatic, and am really focused on positive placement nail guns that can shoot 2.5″ nail lengths, but for the sake of completeness will mention that Hitachi NR38AK, the Senco JoistPro™150, the Paslode PF150-S and the Bostich MCN150 are positive placement guns which are limited to shooting 1.5″ long nails, but are far more friendly in terms of fitting inbetween rafters and joists that are tight on center.

I’m sure I’ve missed a few models that are out there in use, but the above list seems to encompass the major players in single fire (as opposed to glorified palm nailers with a feed magazine) positive placement metal connector nail guns.

I don’t need the PP gun to do anything else, so while I can appreciate that the Bostich F21PL can also serve as a regular framing nailer with the mere change of the nose… I already have two Hitachi frame nailers, so the Bostich would really have to excel in the positive placement incarnation to consider it above the other dedicated metal connector nail guns. The same would hold true for the Bostich F33PT, which is also marketed as a dual purpose nailer.

So what it really boils down to is availability of ammo… 33 degree, 34 degree, 35 degree, 21 degree… in the coatings and diameters called for per the load and application specifications that the metal connector is designed for… and the propensity of that ammo to jam or cause problems with guns where the angle of the strip is not optimal for the angle of the magazine that the gun manufacture specifies.

An example might be finding the correct spec hardware in 33 degree collated strips, where the gun manufacturer calls for 35 degree strips. The ammo may work, most of the time, but jam periodically every 8th nail, where optimally angled ammo specified by the gun manufacture won’t jam at all, but may not be available in the coating or diameter desired.

Another litmus test might be hole alignment with the nose… pin point accuracy versus bounce backs, pierced connectors, dented hardware that catches the inspector’s “hack alert” attention, or worse, bent nails flying through the air into someone’s face.

These are the kinds of issues where user experiences might help in making an informed decision when selecting a positive placement nail gun. Which one do you run?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I use the Bostich Slap Shot gun. I’ve used better but Max stopped making it.

Attachments:
    monman1
    Pro

I use a Bostich F33PT, and has work great!

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have one of the Paslode PF250S-PP and two of the paslode older model. If I use genuine paslode nails, they feed well and all have good power. The PF250S-PP will sense the nail length (1.5″ vs 2.5″) and drive them properly. the older models require you to move a selector switch to drive the different length nails.

We also use palm anilers from time to time when the gun will not fit in a cavity.

Doobie

Late reply here….I have a Senco positive placement nailer. I have not used it that much and need to send it in. Lots of false firings it is frustrating.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Late reply here….I have a Senco positive placement nailer. I have not used it that much and need to send it in. Lots of false firings it is frustrating.

I sent you a PM with the Senco (Canada) service centre contact.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I run the bostitch strap shot, and have never had any issues. It fits most places and I don’t think it’s ever jammed.

I wouldn’t mind giving dewalts 20v a try though, since I’m moving further and further away from air hoses.

Doobie

I sent you a PM with the Senco (Canada) service centre contact.

Thanks Peter! I think I’ll take the time to finally deal with this.

redwood
    Pro

I also have the Bostich.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie

I coulda bought the Strap Shot, but I went with the Senco because I have been very happy with a 30 year old Senco roofing nailer I bought second hand. Wish I had went with the Bostitch at this juncture.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.253 seconds