dcsimg

Porter Cable sander/restorer

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

http://www.portercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=55348&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fwww.portercable.com%2fProducts%2fProductDetail.aspx%3fProductID%3d55348&utm_campaign=Apr2017_Restorer

Interesting tool, basically a hand held spindle sander. Vari-speed, through handle dust collection, various sleeves available for different tasks

Interesting, yes, but I don’t see how I could use it. Maybe a bit smaller than a belt sander but it would do the same job.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Interesting, yes, but I don’t see how I could use it. Maybe a bit smaller than a belt sander but it would do the same job.

Not sure where or how I would use it either but the cost is reasonable and wouldn’t hurt to have it in the sanding arsenal. As far as the same job as a belt sander, you can get the paint stripper sleeves which might be a better option than clogging up belts sanding paint

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

not sure it has taken off real well, I have seen the sanding drums on clearance in some of the big box stores

Interesting item but I just don’t feel the need. Perhaps if I wanted to sand metal or cement.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Biggest problem with the design will be keeping the surface flat with the drum. I would rather have a belt myself.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Biggest problem with the design will be keeping the surface flat with the drum. I would rather have a belt myself.

It doesn’t look too difficult Ron

CB
    Pro

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/lCze6N-_Pck?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

It does to me. I have a hard enough time keeping the results of a hand held belt sander flat, and I use the widest belts with the biggest platen (4″x24″). The fellow in the video put a dipping divot on one of the boards he was sanding. See the freeze frame stills below, captured from the video linked above.

Like the fellow in the video said, the interesting thing about this tool isn’t the sanding drums, it is the other brushes available.

Dipping divot:

Photo #1 captured at 1:58, showing board with paint on it, and NO divot.
    Focus on the area in the yellow ellipse, and observe the flatness of the top surface on the leading edge of the end cut facing the viewer.

Photo #2 captured at 2:03, showing exact same board (compare end grain to confirm for yourself) with paint now removed, and a dipping divot appears at the top surface on the leading edge of the end cut facing the viewer. The divot is pointed out with an arrow.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Interesting tool, basically a hand held spindle sander.

They have had the same tool fro body work for quite some time now. Called an SCT surface conditioning tool it strip paint without chemicals. With metal keeping it flat will not be an issue. With wood not so sure a few seconds too long in one spot and you’ll have a low spot.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/lCze6N-_Pck?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

It does to me. I have a hard enough time keeping the results of a hand held belt sander flat, and I use the widest belts with the biggest platen (4″x24″). The fellow in the video put a dipping divot on one of the boards he was sanding. See the freeze frame stills below, captured from the video linked above.

Like the fellow in the video said, the interesting thing about this tool isn’t the sanding drums, it is the other brushes available.

Dipping divot:

Photo #1 captured at 1:58, showing board with paint on it, and NO divot.
    Focus on the area in the yellow ellipse, and observe the flatness of the top surface on the leading edge of the end cut facing the viewer.

Photo #2 captured at 2:03, showing exact same board (compare end grain to confirm for yourself) with paint now removed, and a dipping divot appears at the top surface on the leading edge of the end cut facing the viewer. The divot is pointed out with an arrow.

Looks hard to finesse to me as well.

For a belt sander, have you ever tried a frame? I read that they prevent sanding below a fraction of a hair under the set point, so they help keep everything flat and prevent digging in

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

it doesn’t look to hard, the inventor i think is on instagram. I see him post random videos related to the pc restorer, if they sold it in Canada i’d probably give it ago. would be great as @theamcguy said to strip paint off metal without damaging the metal.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@theamcguy,
    For automotive stripping I would go with the Eastwood ContourSCT, it uses different courses of Surface Conditioning Pads that won’t eat at the metal but only strip paint and fillers off.

As for the PC one, the one good thing it has it the duct collection.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

CB
    Pro

Looks hard to finesse to me as well.

For a belt sander, have you ever tried a frame? I read that they prevent sanding below a fraction of a hair under the set point, so they help keep everything flat and prevent digging in

No, I haven’t. But I did see a short article in Fine Homebuilding magazine from about 10 years ago that discussed belt sanding frames. At the time I dismissed the idea as being too bulky and awkward for the fix it needs that I typically reach for a hand held belt sander to finesse.

Yet, if a sanding frame were available for either of the two different belt sanders that I have, I’d probably get one. I doubt there is one available for the Sears sander I bought 37 years ago, but last year, I bought a Makita 9403. Makita makes a sanding frame, that they call a sanding “shoe”. Unfortunately, it is only available for the 9404 sander, which, IMHO, is not as good of a sander as the 9403. Also, Makita’s sanding shoe by itself is $130.

Bosch makes a sanding frame for a Bosch sander. Not sure what sander, or what part of the world it is available in, but this part number came up in my search. GBS75AE

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Interesting tool, basically a hand held spindle sander.

They have had the same tool fro body work for quite some time now. Called an SCT surface conditioning tool it strip paint without chemicals. With metal keeping it flat will not be an issue. With wood not so sure a few seconds too long in one spot and you’ll have a low spot.

I get that, obviously it’s not intended to be a finish sander

Hangman
    Pro

Porter Cable always has made great tools, I’m sure it has well thought out uses. Definitely would say it’s application and hands of the user. It’s for restoring surface but certainly not the finishing tool. Paint or rust removal it looks like it performs well, though I’d like to see a cordless version too. The Bosch DEVS1250 seems to work well removing material I’d probably prefer that as a next acquisition. Still intrigued by this Porter Cable and imagine it could be useful considering all the crazy thing I do in general.

The master has failed more times than the disciple has ever tried.

Over 25 years experience from NYC

https://www.instagram.com/gothichangman/

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Porter Cable always has made great tools, I’m sure it has well thought out uses. Definitely would say it’s application and hands of the user. It’s for restoring surface but certainly not the finishing tool. Paint or rust removal it looks like it performs well, though I’d like to see a cordless version too. The Bosch DEVS1250 seems to work well removing material I’d probably prefer that as a next acquisition. Still intrigued by this Porter Cable and imagine it could be useful considering all the crazy thing I do in general.

porter cable might work better than the 1250devs for material like paint or rust removal. I prefer the 1250 for sanding and aggressive even wood removal.

Doobie
    Pro

Didn’t watch the video, but at first glance this is another piece of junk item from PC like their profile sander from 15 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000222XM/?shop28-20

I bought one on clearance for real cheap and all it was really good for was in using the little rubber sanding backer pieces for hand sanding oddball profiles. I might McGyver it as a mini concrete vibrator one day for when I do some concrete countertops, but otherwise the unit itself is maybe only good in the boudoir of some butch lesbo. Lol!

I have some other PC tools that are pretty old and good solid tools, but nowadays I don’t think I’d buy anything of theirs. This isn’t the same company from long ago imo. They’ve always come up with the occasional weird tool nobody else makes, some good, most bad.

Attachments:

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I can see the paint and rust removal applications, for sure. There would be a learning curve to avoid making gouges with it in wood but on metal, not so much.

The 1250 DEVS is definitely a workhorse of a tool. Dial it down a bit and it does a really nice fine finish job too.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Makita has been producing their version of this tool for years now…lots of different accessories for it too. Wire wheels, flap wheels, etc.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/9741

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

Here’s another PC sander that I remember seeing Norm Abram use on New Yankee Workshop a few decades ago.

https://uedata.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-121-Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/dp/B00004WGQD

I don’t think they make it any longer.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.521 seconds