dcsimg

Porter Cable 20V MAX Nailers

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  WoodsConstruction 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Does anyone here have any experience with them?

I’ve found myself in the market for some new finishing nailers, both 18 and 16 gauge. Initially I was just going to grab pneumatic versions, because I really don’t do all that much work requiring to justify the price difference, but when I saw the price point of these two PC models – getting both guns, 2 batteries and 2 chargers for about $500+tax I got pretty interested.

I’ve read a few reviews and everyone seems completely satisfied, but any imput from members here would carry a little more weight for me.

Doobie
    Pro

No experience on PC nailers, but there’s two constants you should keep in mind Alex….

One, “PC isn’t what it used to be”….that I’ve heard a million times it seems.

The other….”You get what you pay for”.

FWIW.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

No experience on PC nailers, but there’s two constants you should keep in mind Alex….

FWIW.

Its true, but literally even if they only lasted for this one particular job that I’m looking at they would have paid for themselves lol

For all I know these could be like my old mastercraft roofing nailer that wasn’t supposed to make it to the end of the roof, but went on to do another 12 after that!

CB
    Pro

Porter Cable was one of the first to market with the battery operated brad nailers in the 15/16 gauge size

Porter Cable is owned by Stanley Black & Decker, which also owns Bostich and DeWalt. In the time since Porter Cable broke ground with their introduction of battery nailers, both the DeWalt and the Bostich brands have introduced models of their own, at higher price points.

Other brands now have battery operated brad nailers also, including Hitachi and Senco.

Do you already have a battery system you are invested in?

For the upcoming job, will the actuating head of the nailer get in the way of your placement and or angle set of the nail? This is one immutable difference between battery operated nailers vs air actuated nailers. With the air nailers, the power source is away from the tool, making the tool not only lighter and nimbler, but also able to lay flatter along the floor for side shooting baseboards, or lay flatter against a wall for direct shooting trim.

On the other hand, battery operated nailers carry the entire power source with them. This not only makes the tool heaver, but makes the actuating head larger, thicker, and more awkward to fit within tight places.

Doobie
    Pro

FWIW.

Its true, but literally even if they only lasted for this one particular job that I’m looking at they would have paid for themselves lol

For all I know these could be like my old mastercraft roofing nailer that wasn’t supposed to make it to the end of the roof, but went on to do another 12 after that!

I hear ya. Sounds like a coin toss on this one. Hmmmmm…..sittin with that in mind, I’d likely just go with it. Sometimes you should just go with your gut unless you get that big “STOP” sign that’s screaming otherwise.

Gotta say….PC stuff…..I just walk by myself nowadays…..don’t even look at it. Just a crap shoot nowadays imo.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You might want to take a close look at the Hitachi line up of 18volt guns.. With the LifeTime warrenty and the non rubberban cam action it seems like a winner. It has been getting good reviews too.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

You might want to take a close look at the Hitachi line up of 18volt guns.. With the LifeTime warrenty and the non rubberban cam action it seems like a winner. It has been getting good reviews too.

Oh I didn’t know the Hitachi guns have a lifetime warranty. That’s always a plus. Didn’t you just get a couple guns?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Yes, that is good to know about the lifetime warranty. It is a huge plus. Personally, everything I do is in the shop, so the little fooling around with an air compressor for my pneumatic guns is no big deal. With that thought, I haven’t been able to convince myself to pick up cordless nailers. For those who work at job sites, this seems like it would be the next cordless tool to pick up.

CB
    Pro

A lifetime warranty is only as good as the longevity of the company offering the warranty. Unfortunately, Hitachi is no more, as far as construction tools like nailers and saws are concerned. Hitachi sold their power, cordless, and pneumatic tool business to KKR.

KKR is the investment group that put Nabisco and Toys R Us out of business. KKR is infamous for highly leveraged buyouts, draining assets from formerly great brand names, and loading the once healthy businesses down with debt service to finance their acquisition while they raid the value.

By September 2018, Hitachi will be renamed Metabo HPT.. another brand that KKR recently acquired, with plans to combine the two. If KKR’s past dealings are any indicator of future dealings, this does not bode well for what was (and currently still is) the best nail gun maker on the planet.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

A lifetime warranty is only as good as the longevity of the company offering the warranty. Unfortunately, Hitachi is no more, as far as construction tools like nailers and saws are concerned. Hitachi sold their power, cordless, and pneumatic tool business to KKR.

KKR is the investment group that put Nabisco and Toys R Us out of business. KKR is infamous for highly leveraged buyouts, draining assets from formerly great brand names, and loading the once healthy businesses down with debt service to finance their acquisition while they raid the value.

By September 2018, Hitachi will be renamed Metabo HPT.. another brand that KKR recently acquired, with plans to combine the two. If KKR’s past dealings are any indicator of future dealings, this does not bode well for what was (and currently still is) the best nail gun maker on the planet.

All the sales reps were using Matabo HPT shirts and I’m going to stay optimistic about Hitachi Power Tools.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

All the sales reps were using Matabo HPT shirts and I’m going to stay optimistic about Hitachi Power Tools.

I’m hopeful that they will continue to turn out great tools. I see myself getting into there cordless guns at some point. Just to many people giving great reviews on them not to own a few.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I briefly looked at the Hitachi cordless nailers, but being at a similar price point as the Ridgid (that was my initial thought) I found that the PC were essentially half the price.

I know the brand has essentially slipped a little bit, but with the strong brands of the parent company I figure they cant be too horrible.

We’ll see, I might grab them this weekend, if not there were some really nice Hitachi pneumatic 18 & 16 ga on sale if I just decide to keep running air.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.679 seconds