dcsimg

Porter Cable 15Inch 12Speed Drill Press

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Porter Cable 15Inch 12Speed Drill Press

I was moving up from a craftsman drill press, and needed something that had the ability to drill deeper as well as something that could go slower. I needed the speed ranges to make the switch between drilling metal and drilling wood. The craftsman didn’t cut it, couldn’t drill slow enough, it was fine for woodworking but it needed to go.

I did quite a bit of research in to this one, as I wanted to buy once, cry once. What was surprising to me was the fact that throughout my research that this drill press which was more economical in price was rated pretty decently. I dropped in to lowes at the time which had a deal going on with their tools and I walked right out with one. I somehow managed to put the huge box in to my Nissan Versa Note and take it home.

Specifications
    X-Y axial projecting laser guides provide accurate pre-alignment of drilling location
    Twelve operating speeds allows for drilling in metals or wood and sanding operations
    Dual left and right hubs allow for placement of crank handles on either side of drill head
    Cast iron work table designed for wood or metal drilling, tilts up to 45° for bevel drilling
    Spindle travel up to 4-in provides extra depth capacity
    Adjustment depth gauge allows for accurate repetitive drilling
    Adjustable gooseneck work light for better illumination of work area
    Specs:
    Horsepower: 1 HP
    Amps: 8
    Motor Control: On/Off Toggle
    Speeds: 12 (300; 390; 450; 560; 640; 700; 990; 1550; 1620; 1900; 2620; 3100 RPM)
    Table Size: 13-15/64 x 13-15/64-in
    Table Tilt: L and R: 45°
    Table Insert: No
    Column Diameter: 2-7/8-in
    Spindle Taper: MT2
    Chuck Taper: JT3
    Quill Diameter: 1.85-in
    Quill Stroke: 4-in
    Key Chuck Capacity: 5/8-in
    Chuck to Table Capacity: 24-3/4-in
    Chuck to Base Capacity: 44-3/8-in
    Includes:
    Drill Press with Light
    Cast Iron Table
    5/8-in Chuck and Key
    Hardware
    Feed handles
    Hex Wrenches
    Manual

Lets start off with the manual, it was easy to read and the whole drill press was really easy to put together, I think it got it together in under 45 mins. I did have to wipe the whole machine down to get rid of all the protective coating that was sprayed on it.

The laser on this drill press isn’t something I use, as it isn’t very accurate and i’ve never taken the time to actually calibrate it. The light is decent, I could live without it or just stick my bosch fl12 12volt light to one of the metal parts and angle that for better light coverage.

The speed control is great, I love that I can go super slow for drilling through steel and fast enough through wood. The speed control is manual, so you will experience annoyance if you have to change up your speed often enough. The speed control area is also a little difficult to get open, and you have to slam it to close it. The accuracy is very good as well, I find that as long as it is calibrated it will drill straight.

I’ve had this drill press for about 4 years now and I still feel that it was a great purchase and would purchase it again. I haven’t run in to any problems with it. I’ve been drilling out wood blanks for the pens I used to make as well as holes for the knives I work on as well. If you want a decent multi task drill, this is the drill press for you.

I need to get myself a drill press. All I have is one of those frames that controls the angle of a hand drill.

Do you have a mortising attachment for it? Ive heard its a good way to mortise for tenons

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I need to get myself a drill press. All I have is one of those frames that controls the angle of a hand drill.

Do you have a mortising attachment for it? Ive heard its a good way to mortise for tenons

No i don’t i’ve been thinking of getting one to use in the drill. I think it would really speed up my mortising, however if I go domino, i won’t need it.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I’ve never used a mortising attachment, but unless you’re cutting an awful lot of them, I’d just use the drill press with brad-point bit to overlap plunges, and clean with a sharp chisel. With a bit of practice you can get pretty quick at them that way. I may be wrong and they might be super useful, easy to set up, and produce really clean mortises, but I am skeptical. It should also be noted that I have a dedicated mortising machine which pretty much gathers dust unless I need to do a serious batch cut of mortises.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Good review, thanks @r-ice. Looks to be very similar to my Delta 16 1/2. You have an extra 1/4 HP and an extra 1/2″ in quill travel. That is enough to make a difference IMO.

Have you ever checked spindle runout?

@MrFid
    I have the mortising attachment for the Delta. I only use it when doing a lot of mortises; most of the time I’m too lazy to bother setting it up but it does a very good job, nice clean mortises.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Awesome review for us members . I’ve owned a old central machinery bench top drill press . Had it for a few years . Sold it off I really didn’t use it much .

Always willing to learn .

Looks like a nice drill press. I can’t find the exact model for sale but it looks like Delta sells something similar.

Doobie

Nice little review Aaron. 👍

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nice review also. It is good to see this as i really need to upgrade my old Craftsman Radial Drill press. I will still keep it as it does things many other drill presses cannot, but it is very undeerpowered and undersized for a lot of the things we do any more.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice Thank you for the very nice review. Sounds like a well thought out purchase.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I have the mortising attachment for the Delta. I only use it when doing a lot of mortises; most of the time I’m too lazy to bother setting it up but it does a very good job, nice clean mortises.

That’s good to know. Is it universal to different drill press brands? I have a mortising machine already, but some friends of mine don’t and might be interested.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Thanks for the review. I have looked at getting this drill press a few time. Just never pulled the trigger.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Nice review, I often think about upgrading my drill press, and this is one to consider.

Will

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s good to know. Is it universal to different drill press brands? I have a mortising machine already, but some friends of mine don’t and might be interested.

The one I have is Delta brand and used with a Delta drill press and works very well. I have used a similar import on a Chinese DP several years ago and found it to be a real piece of junk. The yoke would not stay on. I had to have a collar machined to mount the yoke properly. Alignment was difficult. The MT was not properly machined so it kept slipping out. It didn’t take me long to scrap the whole mess including the DP.

As far as universal mount is concerned, the Delta attachment doesn’t come with any adapters or collars to mount on anything but a Delta DP or one with the same dimensions as Delta.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Good review, thanks @r-ice. Looks to be very similar to my Delta 16 1/2. You have an extra 1/4 HP and an extra 1/2″ in quill travel. That is enough to make a difference IMO.

@mrfid I have the mortising attachment for the Delta. I only use it when doing a lot of mortises; most of the time I’m too lazy to bother setting it up but it does a very good job, nice clean mortises.

I’ve meant to check the spindle runout but I don’t have the measurement tools for it, or is there a simple way to test this?

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

The one I have is Delta brand and used with a Delta drill press and works very well. I have used a similar import on a Chinese DP several years ago and found it to be a real piece of junk. The yoke would not stay on. I had to have a collar machined to mount the yoke properly. Alignment was difficult. The MT was not properly machined so it kept slipping out. It didn’t take me long to scrap the whole mess including the DP.

As far as universal mount is concerned, the Delta attachment doesn’t come with any adapters or collars to mount on anything but a Delta DP or one with the same dimensions as Delta.

Okay. Good to know how it works.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@mrfid I have the mortising attachment for the Delta. I only use it when doing a lot of mortises; most of the time I’m too lazy to bother setting it up but it does a very good job, nice clean mortises.

I’ve meant to check the spindle runout but I don’t have the measurement tools for it, or is there a simple way to test this?

I would chuck a piece of drill rod and rotate by hand against a dial gauge. Take the measurement at least 3 or 4″ from the chuck. Runout there should be a couple of thou max.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Awesome review for us members . I’ve owned a old central machinery bench top drill press . Had it for a few years . Sold it off I really didn’t use it much .

I have a Central Machinery 17″ floor model and so far it has been great. I never touch my bench top model anymore.

Great review BTW @r-ice. I think your Porter Cable has some better speed choices over the 17″ one I have. I might have to compare the pulleys on yours to mine.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.441 seconds