dcsimg

Portable Drill Guide

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Looking to get a portable drill guide to allow me to more accurately drill horizontally or vertically (and occasionally at a specific angle) through thicker lumber.

Something like this.

Anyone has experience to share, what works what doesn’t?

Is the one with the drill chuck better?

Will these work on concrete walls using SDS hammers too?

What size of wood are you thinking about drilling in at the shop we have drill blocks made from hardened steel , a few different sizes , I find a smaller drill bit tends to wonder slightly if forced to fast ,
    I don’t think that particular model would work with sds , and I really haven’t seen or searched for anything particular for drilling with the sds I assume they must have something , maybe something similar to a mag drill 🤷‍♂️

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have one I got at woodcraft that works will. we use it for the angled holes on railings and things like that. The one I have is very similar to the Rockler one you show. I would have probably got that one as the Rockler store is closer to me than the woodcraft store, but I am guessing they were out of it the day
    I needed one. I have had good luck with Rockler items in the past.

They are not built to work with a hammer drill or rotary hammer. I would clarify that with an occasional use may be fine, but in the long run, the hammering action will shake something like this apart that is not made for those extra vibrations.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

What size of wood are you thinking about drilling in at the shop we have drill blocks made from hardened steel , a few different sizes , I find a smaller drill bit tends to wonder slightly if forced to fast ,

I don’t think that particular model would work with sds , and I really haven’t seen or searched for anything particular for drilling with the sds I assume they must have something , maybe something similar to a mag drill 🤷‍♂️

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

How would it work with a SDS bit without the proper chuck?!?!?
    You can use it for concrete with a carbide tip masonry bit and a regular drill.

Here’s a similar one to the Rockler drill bit guide. The Rockler is more adjustable and thus higher priced. I can see it being used to drill angled holes for legs or posts in chairs and stools. I believe it is fairly new from Rockler. The Milescraft has been around for a long time.

Attachments:
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

What size of wood are you thinking about drilling in

I don’t have a specific size in mind. This is a tool that needs to be portable for various applications. It needs to allow me to drill into existing materials that’s already been installed. I don’t think I have ever a situation that the actual material is movable to a drill press.

Some of the things I can use this for are for example, drilling through 4×4, 4×6, 6×6 wood posts to use carriage bolts on them, drilling 4×4 wood or 1.5″ steel to install cable railings etc…

Here’s a similar one to the Rockler drill bit guide. The Rockler is more adjustable and thus higher priced. I can see it being used to drill angled holes for legs or posts in chairs and stools. I believe it is fairly new from Rockler. The Milescraft has been around for a long time.

If I remember correctly , I think Kevin @doobie has this one , or something similar 🤷‍♂️

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have one I got at woodcraft that works will. we use it for the angled holes on railings and things like that. The one I have is very similar to the Rockler one you show. I would have probably got that one as the Rockler store is closer to me than the woodcraft store, but I am guessing they were out of it the day I needed one. I have had good luck with Rockler items in the past.

They are not built to work with a hammer drill or rotary hammer. I would clarify that with an occasional use may be fine, but in the long run, the hammering action will shake something like this apart that is not made for those extra vibrations.

Good point the vibrations may cause the guide to wobble over time.

How would it work with a SDS bit without the proper chuck?!?!?

You can use it for concrete with a carbide tip masonry bit and a regular drill.

Sometimes I am drilling through thick blocks. Last time I had to drill through 12″ (8″ block plus 4″ block back to back). The hole was 1″ in diameter to pass 3/4″ PVC conduit (actually a 3/4″ SCH80 PVC conduit is a tad over 1″, sometimes 3/4″ copper tubing with sleeves. I used a 18″ SDS bit to do the drilling and it’s also easy to be way off, as you drill past the block face 2″ in you hit air, then another 6″ in you hit another block face, 4″ or two block faces in, you hit air again, then the final block face 10″ in. Is it critical to be perfectly straight? No, but last time I did it my hole on the opposing side end up being a few inches off horizontally and vertically. Once you slide a pipe in through the hole, with the entrance and exit angles no longer at 90, it makes things complicated to run things parallel to the walls. What I end up doing is to drill more holes sideways and higher/lower to correct for the offsets until I get the conduit coming in/out at acceptable angles. I don’t think a regular hammer drill can deal with this much thickness. I do use regular hammer drills for concrete but 95% of the time was to drill small holes for Tapcon screws, the other 5% was for drilling holes on tiles and marble with diamond hole saws in non hammer mode.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Can those guides that come with a chunk use a different chuck? Can you remove their chuck and use your own?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Can those guides that come with a chunk use a different chuck? Can you remove their chuck and use your own?

For sure you can do it. After that you can install an aftermarket 1/2″ SDS shank on a SDS chuck and give it a go. Assuming you can slip a 1/2″ through it.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

For some reason my comment to the post above did not appear.

I would think for SDS work in concrete, or stone, you would need to go to something like a core drill setup. I have never seen anything small like this for concrete.

I have also never had the need for an extremely precise vertical hole in concrete and angled holes are difficult due to bit wander.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have also never had the need for an extremely precise vertical hole in concrete and angled holes are difficult due to bit wander.

Extremely precise, no. But I have had my share of drilling straight through concrete, or what looks to me as straight just by eyeballing and when it comes out the other side it’s not straight at all, and I am not talking about having to be precisely straight but it’s more often than not, more “off” than I would like it to be, the issue is not evident until I pass a pipe through, then attach a 90 elbow to it to find out the 90 elbow is not parallel with the wall and it’s off by 10 degrees LOL. Then you have to elongate both holes horizontally in opposing directions hoping to correct the issue.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Extremely precise, no. But I have had my share of drilling straight through concrete, or what looks to me as straight just by eyeballing and when it comes out the other side it’s not straight at all,

That’s a pain. They make 2 direction levels that you can stick on a drill, this way you can try and maintain the drill level in the direction you are drilling; that can help.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@Miamicuse here is the perfect low buck solution to your problem

Need a hole drilled at a perfect right angle, but can’t use a drill press?

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/how-to-drill-perfect-holes-using-a-mirror-000912/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=a6134#

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

interesting.

actually I need to drill two hole into an exterior concrete driveway, about 4″ deep and 3/4″ in diameter, for the driveway gate’s drop down bars to lower into. Obviously they need to be straight. The drop down bars are 48″ long, mounted at waist height to the fence frame.

I will be using a SDS+ 3/4″ bit, I think 12″ long. I don’t know if I can hold the drill straight if I am looking at a mirror on the ground while I drill LOL.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Make a jig then. Get a long piece of 4X4; on a drill press drill a pilot hole all the way through it same size as the hole you need to drill. Place the jig over where you need to drill your holes, either have some guys stand on the 4X4 or place 2 bags of cement on it on either side of the hole and use the jig to drill your hole in the cement. The pilot hole in the 4X4 will keep your drill perpendicular.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Clev08
    Pro

Just saw another option for a drill guide from woodpeckers. As usual it is very pricey but looks to have some additional features.
    https://www.woodpeck.com/auto-line-drill-guide.html

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.320 seconds