dcsimg

Pony Tools

This topic contains 27 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2016/05/30/pony-tools-suspends-operations/

It sad to see another great company bite the dust, In Canada we could only get the pony pipe clamps and the jorgenson’s were getting harder and harder to get. I haven’t seen any in awhile and this may explain why.

Doobie
    Pro

Another one bites the dust. I haven’t used my Pony bar clamps in maybe 20 years since I got into Bessey parrallel clamps. Hated how the bars would marr wood without protecting it.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Shame that another US based company is closing its doors.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I am going to miss the Pony Clamps. I have been using them for many years with no complaints.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Well that stinks. Hate it for all the employees that have lost there jobs.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Exactly what I was thinking.

Its always a shame when an old tried and true company goes down.

Doobie
    Pro

Seems to me they are more refocusing their efforts. They did recently buy another company per the article and are running it. May be just that competing with Chinese made crap on the clamp side made no economic sense any longer. They didn’t go bankrupt, they just closed that part/division of their company.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have a bunch of pony clamps…I’d hate to see what the stores are going to stock with them gone. Too bad…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Sorry to see those folks lose jobs. I think there is more to this story than what is being said. Like others, I have a number of their clamps.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Were they affiliated with Jorgensen? The photo in the article confused me a little. Always sad to see a USA tool company not be able to make it, a stroll through the aisle at Home Depot makes it too easy to understand why 🙁

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Seems to me they are more refocusing their efforts. They did recently buy another company per the article and are running it. May be just that competing with Chinese made crap on the clamp side made no economic sense any longer. They didn’t go bankrupt, they just closed that part/division of their company.

I checked out the website of their other division and no clamps in their product line.

I have a bunch of pony clamps…I’d hate to see what the stores are going to stock with them gone. Too bad…

Hate to say it but probably cheap Irwin Clamps will be lining the shelves.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I liked pony clamps a lot it’s ashamed. I wonder if I will be able to scoop up some of the last ones.

That is a pity, I hate to another solid tool manufacturer disappear.

Will

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Yes very sad,hate to see hard working people lose their jobs, I’m hoping it’s not just to send the manufacturing to you know where,

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

My guess is that tax and employment law in Chicago / Illinois, makes it no longer profitable to be bassed there. I would think that you will see them again under the Easy Wood Tools moniker, produced elsewhere.

I also have to believe that Irwin, Jet and Bessy have eaten into their market as you see them everywhere now and the Irwin barely existed two years ago and the Bessy was mostly only found in higherend shops, not the big boxes like they are today.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

jponto07 wrote:
    Hate to say it but probably cheap Irwin Clamps will be lining the shelves

The Irwin bar clamps are Super cheap, IMO…I sure hope they don’t get any more shelf space! I’d love to see Bessey or Jet clamps make there way here. BTW, Menards is the only place I can get Pony stuff locally, Lowes has Irwin junk.

Jon P.
    Instagram

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

shame to see them go. Wonder if it comes down to cost of manufacturing or the fact they just didnt keep up with the dying market.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think they tried to keep the manufacturing in the US and were unable to compete with the cheaper foreign products. I always thought they had a good product and own a lot of them.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think they tried to keep the manufacturing in the US and were unable to compete with the cheaper foreign products. I always thought they had a good product and own a lot of them.

That may be part of the problem…they didn’t break often enough to warrant buying new clamps! In fact, I’ve never broken one of them.

Jon P.
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’m sad to see them gone. I have some and they are good tools.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.521 seconds