dcsimg

Pocket Jigs

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Author

I think that you will find that most prefer the Kreg Jig. Porter Cable I think used to make one. I don’t know if they still do.

I am surprised to see that nobody owns the Porter Cable. They have a pretty slick semi-auto version:

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-560-QUIKJIG-Pocket-Hole-Joinery/dp/B004ADJQTO/
    Definitely not too “terrible” of a price for what it is if you want to be able to do pocket holes a lot faster.

John S

Andre_C
    Pro
    Miramichi, New-Brunswick

Matt, have you thought of using the Bosch 1640VS Finecut Power Handsaw, it’s on the rewards list.

Matt, have you thought of using the Bosch 1640VS Finecut Power Handsaw, it’s on the rewards list.

For cutting the plugs? That seems a bit excessive to me? haha… but it would make fast work of it I am sure

John S

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON

Yup, an OMT would work perfect on the plugs! Faster too.

I am surprised to see that nobody owns the Porter Cable. They have a pretty slick semi-auto version:

I went out and got one of those John. It works well but it is heavy.

redwood
    Pro

I think the appeal of the Kreg Jig is it’s apparent simplicity. The Porter Cable looks complicated.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON
    redwood
    Pro

I read the readers review of the PC unit. He is comparing it to the Kreg, when he has never used the Kreg. It doesn’t sound much easier then the Kreg, which is pretty easy.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON

I think both are easy to use, it is a simple system. The Porter Cable jig just looks to be bulkier and more complicated to use. Not sure if you can mount it to a table or board, like the Kreg.

Thatkid
    Pro

They are meant to stick out slightly, you’ll have to use a thin hand saw to flush cut the excess.

Instead of a handsaw I use a nice sharp block plane.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

They are meant to stick out slightly, you’ll have to use a thin hand saw to flush cut the excess.

Yeah, they just don’t seem to seat in there very well, I tried to OMT them off but they popped out of the hole while I was cutting, obviously should have been more patient on the glue up.

I actually did a review of that saw, but due to its size it wouldn’t work where I’m working in this case, the inside of the small toy box I’ve built for the little one, would work somewhere else though.

Instead of a handsaw I use a nice sharp block plane.

That’s a good idea!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Pocket Jigs

I think the appeal of the Kreg Jig is it’s apparent simplicity. The Porter Cable looks complicated.

I like simple. That’s my problem this world is getting to complicated.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Here is a really recent review on the PC pocket jig that views it favorably overall with some shortcomings:

http://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/corded/porter-cable-pc560-quik-jig-pocket-hole-joinery-system/10667

John S

Here is a really recent review on the PC pocket jig that views it favorably overall with some shortcomings:

I read the conclusion and the shortcomings in the author’s opinion is the higher cost with the other limitations being common to pocket hole jigs and not the PC pocket hole jig in particular. I have used this jig and like it. If someone is going to make a lot of cabinets/furniture using pocket holes, I would recommend this jig.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I would like to get the L-Box set up with the pocket hole jigs and accessories nice and neat.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I got the set from Kreg ??? years ago. Wonderful tool. since then 2 friends of mine saw it in action and bought there own. One guy just got the HD set and loves it.

The mini is the go to problem solver. It ended up with a bunch of tools in the ” Evidenace Locker”. So that was the first tool I replaced.

Truely impressed with the drill bit, they last a long time.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve been looking at these as I have never used one. Looks like a nice alternative if you need a mechanical connection.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

The little mini one is really handy for certain things for me when I am installing cabinets. I like to occasionally put a screw to the floor to hold the cabinet down. Maybe one or two per kitchen, not much. The little pocket one works great for this.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I would like to get the L-Box set up with the pocket hole jigs and accessories nice and neat.

Been thinking the same thing, just not high on my list of things that need to get done. I have a list that won’t quit.

I currently have the K4 setup but do not have dust collection on it and definitely wish I did… otherwise, it is definitely a great and easy way to do pocket holes. I am thinking the smaller option would be interesting to use in tandem with my kreg automaxx clamps on my mft/3 as that could make it a rather speedy setup as well

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.543 seconds