dcsimg

Pneumatic screws

• This topic has 32 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We discussed the Scrails a while back in the thread below, the conversation on the Scrails was on pages 8 & 9 along with some photo’s of the Scrails I posted.

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/screws-vs-nails/page/8/

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

I’ve worked with some scrails before and understand that they offer more grip. My point is that even ring shank nails offer a lot of grip but it seems to be at the expense of overall lifespan as they have a smaller shank diameter than a traditional nail(which I wouldn’t use) or a #8 screw.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The reason we don’t go for those over here because in the high salt area the clips start to rot and look bad after some time so we use the hidden ss trim head screws .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve worked with some scrails before and understand that they offer more grip. My point is that even ring shank nails offer a lot of grip but it seems to be at the expense of overall lifespan as they have a smaller shank diameter than a traditional nail(which I wouldn’t use) or a #8 screw.

So the Scrails I’m getting are a .120 diameter shank….which is .005 less than a #5 screw. Cool concept, but they are officially out as an option for the deck.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

Look at a collated screw system, they’re pretty affordable and then you can use a real screw and still get the job done in a hurry. Filling in about 500 square feet only takes my helper about 2-3 hours, even if the decking is on an angle and we are snapping joist lines in baby powder.

Look at a collated screw system, they’re pretty affordable and then you can use a real screw and still get the job done in a hurry. Filling in about 500 square feet only takes my helper about 2-3 hours, even if the decking is on an angle and we are snapping joist lines in baby powder.

not nearly as fast as a nail gun. or as cheap if you already own nail guns.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Valid point, but if the fasteners are inferior and susceptible to rusting out.. The narrow diameter suddenly has me concerned.

Jon P.
    Instagram

redwood
    Pro

I have a couple of the Simpson Quic drive units. No issues in the times that I’ve used them. I’ve heard good things about the Pam collated screw gun that is now owned by Fastenmaster.

A lot of the manufacturers of these collated screw guns will give you the guns for free, if you buy screws.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

True, but the savings for anyone that isn’t doing production style decks is minimal. If I’m doing a $30k deck for 3 weeks, I don’t really care that I could have saved 2-3 hours of my helper’s time if I had the scrails vs. the screws. Once I factor in that the screws are much better, in my opinion, it’s a no brainer for me. If it was 10 hours saved or I was putting out 2 PT decks a week then I’d be sold but if we’re talking $100 on a $30k project, no thanks.

I’m also coastal so I have to be a lot pickier about fasteners than the inland guys do. We regularly see 16d-20d nails that are rusted clean through in 10 years.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m also coastal so I have to be a lot pickier about fasteners than the inland guys do. We regularly see 16d-20d nails that are rusted clean through in 10 years.

Valid point, and something I don’t have to weigh as heavily in Indiana. Fasteners rust, but they aren’t failing at the same rate as they do near the ocean. Fwiw, they do make Scrails in stainless steel.

Jon P.
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Valid point, but if the fasteners are inferior and susceptible to rusting out.. The narrow diameter suddenly has me concerned.

I don’t believe the Scrails are inferior or susceptible to rust, especially if you use the coated or SS ones. the ones we use for the hidden fasteners hold extremely well. I don’t think anyone has said a Scrail is inferior in the thread, just a product in between ring shanks and screws

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t believe the Scrails are inferior or susceptible to rust, especially if you use the coated or SS ones. the ones we use for the hidden fasteners hold extremely well. I don’t think anyone has said a Scrail is inferior in the thread, just a product in between ring shanks and screws

The hidden fastners aren’t hidden. They are right there between the boards on top of the joist. They really pop out when they start to rust and oxidize.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anything beyond PT we do use the hidden SS fastener system on everything. Never had an issue with all of the snow and ice here. I do however, always tell the HO’s to lay off the saltz for de-icing, but they shouldn’t be putting that stuff on their decks anyway.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.217 seconds