dcsimg

Pneumatic Flooring nailer

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ll be installing some hardwood flooring in about 4 weeks, about 800sf or so. I’ll need a flooring nailer, and I’m considering buying one.

What experience do you all have with them? Things to look for or avoid?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a couple of the Bostich flooring staplers. I do not have any problems with them. We have installed several thousand Sf with them. They have the air power assist. There are cheaper ones, but mine have held up well. they are the ones made for 3/4″ material. They have a smaller one made for thinner material also. Do not try the bigger one with thinner flooring, I had a homeowner do that and they had poor results.

the air assist is the way to go, i did a floor way back with the =ratcheting “T” nailer and it was a PITA.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i second the air assist ones. with the trigger ones the dont draw the wood together as well. the hardwood guys i know use the bostich ones mostly.. we have two prime brand ones which are nothing more than a rebranding of teh older paslodes i believe

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

How much more flooring are you planning on doing in the future?
    Will you be fastening with cleats or staples? Are you planning on installing more of the same type of flooring at a later date?
    Pneumatic is the way to go, and if I were to recommend one it’d have to be a Primatech. I prefer to use cleats for 3/4 hardwood, but have used staples in the past. I think a stapler with an adapter plate would be sufficient for tackling different types of flooring (different thicknesses and types IE: solid hardwood, engineered, 1/2″ to 3/4″…)
    Here’s a link to Primatech’s middle of the line pneumatic L cleat nailer…I’ve got a similar model (earlier generation) and I am impressed with it.

http://www.primatech.ca/Buy-online/Tools/245FL-Pneumatic.shtml

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Will you be fastening with cleats or staples? Are you planning on installing more of the same type of flooring at a later date?
    Pneumatic is the way to go, and if I were to recommend one it’d have to be a Primatech. I prefer to use cleats for 3/4 hardwood, but have used staples in the past. I think a stapler with an adapter plate would be sufficient for tackling different types of flooring (different thicknesses and types IE: solid hardwood, engineered, 1/2″ to 3/4″…)
    Here’s a link to Primatech’s middle of the line pneumatic L cleat nailer…I’ve got a similar model (earlier generation) and I am impressed with it.

Good questions!

Honestly, I don’t know..I only have the one job lined up at the moment, but I hate renting tools…there always seems to be something finicky with them and it’s a waste of cash.

The flooring is a 4″ wide 3/4″ oak…staples or cleats? No idea. What do you recommend?

Jon P.
    Instagram

I have the Stanley bostich staple nailer kit . It’s about 3 years old . Never had a problem with the unit .

Always willing to learn .

Attachments:
    asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I’ve used both, but prefer cleats for 3/4 hardwood.
    Staplers are versatile, and more often than not, come with an adapter for varying floor thicknesses.
    I recommended the Primatech because it has been flawless so far, and will last me for years.
    Honestly, there are many affordable nailers/staplers out there, and most of them will do what you need them to.
    Good luck on your search!

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

kzcarp
    Pro

I add my recommendation for the bostitch flooring stapler. I have rented them several times in the past and agree with you on all the reasons not to want to rent.
    The bostitch is a solid unit not a lot of moving parts and easy to fix if you have to. I learned this by having to fix rentals. I finally got sick of the b.s. and just bought one. Didn’t mind parting with the cash one bit (but aren’t most tool buys regret free ?)
    All the flooring guys around me use the same one, for what that’s worth.

kevin

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Where does the PowerNail gun rank? The Bostitch is all over the place, as are a few cheaper models in the $150 range…

Jon P.
    Instagram

I’ve used both, but prefer cleats for 3/4 hardwood.
    Staplers are versatile, and more often than not, come with an adapter for varying floor thicknesses.
    I recommended the Primatech because it has been flawless so far, and will last me for years.
    Honestly, there are many affordable nailers/staplers out there, and most of them will do what you need them to.
    Good luck on your search!

The different base plates sold me on the model I picked . Plus the wheels are awesome for moving along the boards during nailing .

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I might be looking to get one too. I have a small amount I have to do although the HO isn’t sure what flooring he wants yet. Just something prefinished. Might not even need one if he wants to go the cheap floating floor route.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have one from RONA, just because I did not want to rent one. This was to install almost 800 sq. ft. in my own home.
    I have installed flooring now for a few family members also. The air assisted nailer is definitely the way to go. It really depends on what you want to spend on one.
    Mine cost me around $200 a few years back and I have had zero issues with it, I do see them even cheaper now. Would have spent more on a rental as I was installing the flooring a few days a week after a regular day at work and on weekends. Money well spent.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Clev08
    Pro

Good questions!

Honestly, I don’t know..I only have the one job lined up at the moment, but I hate renting tools…there always seems to be something finicky with them and it’s a waste of cash.

The flooring is a 4″ wide 3/4″ oak…staples or cleats? No idea. What do you recommend?

I would definitely recommend cleats, I have used the bostitch nailer and a really old nailer that had no brand name on it. They both worked the same in my opinion. Good luck!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I would definitely recommend cleats, I have used the bostitch nailer and a really old nailer that had no brand name on it. They both worked the same in my opinion. Good luck!

I think I’m going with a cleat nailer…if I can find a used model for a decent price. Given the rental rate around here, I might just go that route for the time being, but ultimately I want to own my own nailer. The PowerNail 445 16ga cleat nailer rents for $28/day here….hard to argue with that.

Jon P.
    Instagram

I think I’m going with a cleat nailer…if I can find a used model for a decent price. Given the rental rate around here, I might just go that route for the time being, but ultimately I want to own my own nailer. The PowerNail 445 16ga cleat nailer rents for $28/day here….hard to argue with that.

Yeah for that price and just one project few times a year it’s a bargain to go that route . Plus you don’t have to worry about break downs .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Definitely can’t beat that for a rental price. In the Toronto area it’s just over $40 a day rental.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I have had great luck with the bostich air nailer. But for that little amount of flooring i would rent for a day. Unless you plan on doing more in the future.

Doobie

I’ve always wondered what were the diffs between nails, staples and cleats and which ones were best. Nails hold better it seems, but don’t allow well for seasonal wood movement. Cleats also cost a lot more. Staples can lead to tongue splits.

There was this topic discussed a few years ago on BTP here with no real conclusions.

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/hardwood-floors-cleat-nails-or-staples/

I did find this discussion thread on a hardwood flooring forum somewhat insightful.

http://www.hardwoodfloorsmag.com/component/com_kunena/Itemid,292/catid,5/id,178/view,topic/

FWIW.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have had great luck with the bostich air nailer. But for that little amount of flooring i would rent for a day. Unless you plan on doing more in the future.

Planning on it, yes. At this point, it’s just the one job lined up that will require it, but there may be a second. I spoke with a family the other day that asked about hardwood in their living room along with some other things. The job is postponed pending their tax returns.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Doobie

The job is postponed pending their tax returns.

Sounds like they may be living paycheck to paycheck maybe.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.298 seconds