dcsimg

Plumbing talk

This topic contains 41 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  kswiss 3 days, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)
  • Author

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I figured I would start a discussion for plumbing. I found this pipe installed with a hole in it. Luckily we test everything with before drywall goes up or this could have been a very expensive repair.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Is that a brand new pipe? Where is it manufactured at?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

It’s from Tyler pipe co. It’s made in USA.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s interesting I’d thing it would be from canada with it big steel industry. It’s a good thing you pressure test the system before it’s closed up.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I figured I would start a discussion for plumbing. I found this pipe installed with a hole in it. Luckily we test everything with before drywall goes up or this could have been a very expensive repair.

What would be your best guess; damage in handling along the way or a manufacturing defect? How do you repair damage like that?

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

That’s interesting I’d thing it would be from canada with it big steel industry. It’s a good thing you pressure test the system before it’s closed up.

Probably won’t be getting much more from the states with these new tariffs in place now. I’d prefer to use Canadian products anyways.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

What would be your best guess; damage in handling along the way or a manufacturing defect? How do you repair damage like that?

It’s just a manufacturing defect, there’s no way to fix it really. We just ended up swapping out the piece of pipe.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Good catch on that bad pipe. I bet you will be watching out for that from now on.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Whew! That’s a good catch!

Good thing you caught it now, that would have made for a really bad day down the line. And it would have been a whole lot more expensive too….

Charlie

Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

It’s just a manufacturing defect, there’s no way to fix it really. We just ended up swapping out the piece of pipe.

I am surprised that passed , don’t they have quality assurance inspection for parts that are manufactured for plumbing ? the company that makes them must do a kinda inspection of sorts , unless it’s just visual , and missed it

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I’m surprised whoever installed it didn’t notice it going in.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

It’s hard to inspect everything you install on such a fast paced job. It may seem obvious but that’s why we test everything I guess.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

How would Macgyver fix this? He would take out two sticks of gum, chew them for five minutes then push that onto the hole…lol it’s the vent only section or it’s getting flow?

Just goes to show how important testing is, even when dealing with all new supplies.

Will

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

This week I started working on the penthouse mechanical room at the highrise building job.

Got the wall hung boilers mounted in place and started working on the main piping, I’ll post some more pictures as progress continues.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Wow, nice work Kyle, good to see you posting again, is that gas or electric the heater and equipment.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Wow, nice work Kyle, good to see you posting again, is that gas or electric the heater and equipment.

this is all gas fired equipment here there are a couple of small electric heaters but the electricians install those ones

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That could have been a very expensive repair if not found by testing. Nice catch.

a manufacturing defect?

It looks like porosity too me. So it was cause in the manufacturing of the pipe.

It could be that the hole wasn’t there when it was install. Once the pipe had pressure in it the porosity let go.

don’t they have quality assurance inspection

I am sure they do. If that hole started on the inside I not sure how you would see it.

When I worked in production machine shop. One of dept’s sent out a part for turbo that had foundry sand in the casting. The sand didn’t get caught and end up ruining a new diesel motor. Those parts were checked 100% too quality specs.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This week I started working on the penthouse mechanical room at the highrise building job.

Nice work so far Kyle. Looking good.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Got a little bit more piping in today, finished up the reverse return boiler loop

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.987 seconds