dcsimg

Plastic glue

This topic contains 34 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I’m looking for a plastic glue something that can handle an automotive headlight mounting tab that cracked. Actually it separated. Poking around on the internet I saw there are some very specific types so I’m looking to see if anyone here has personal experience

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

I’m looking for a plastic glue something that can handle an automotive headlight mounting tab that cracked. Actually it separated. Poking around on the internet I saw there are some very specific types so I’m looking to see if anyone here has personal experience

If its plastic and you don’t need to see through it, nothing better than JB weld for rugged

If finesse is needed in a more crazy glue application (like kids toys) the gorilla super glue is great

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Plastic welding maybe? I have welded plastic together with a soldering iron and used a zip tie for a filler like tig welding.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I was thinking of JB Weld and I heard some people have used a soldering iron as well.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

I have used Gorilla glue epoxy to repair lots of plastic, ceramic, and even glass. I would give it a try before j b weld.

http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-epoxy

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’d use an epoxy meant for plastics. Last time I tried to fix plastic with regular JB weld, it didn’t hold.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

My very first thought was gorilla glue but after digging around I read that there are some real good epoxys with out the waiting of clamp time

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

If its plastic and you don’t need to see through it, nothing better than JB weld for rugged

If finesse is needed in a more crazy glue application (like kids toys) the gorilla super glue is great

Yup, that’s what I would use. I once fixed the thermostat housing on my car with that stuff.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

http://www.jbweld.com/

That’s the good stuff. Bonds and fixes almost anything.

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Yeah the Plastic Bonder looks like the one, there is also Plastic Weld syringe.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Clev08
    Pro

I tried to glue my headlight mounting tab back together but with all the movement in a car I don’t know what would hold. I just ordered a new set of headlights.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I tried to glue my headlight mounting tab back together but with all the movement in a car I don’t know what would hold. I just ordered a new set of headlights.

This sounds like ur best bet.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I’d use an epoxy meant for plastics. Last time I tried to fix plastic with regular JB weld, it didn’t hold.

There are some 2 part epoxies made especially for plastic that work well. Loctite makes one that works well and can be found at your big box auto parts stores.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

There are some 2 part epoxies made especially for plastic that work well. Loctite makes one that works well and can be found at your big box auto parts stores.

From what I hear can withstand this kind of tension. I bet I could find this conversation on many auto forums.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Ok……I being an outstanding family member…….decided to replace the damaged headlight for my sis. She bumped the front quarter panel and broke the light. Hood is fine.

Found one in great shape at the junk yard….re aligned the whole quarter panel and bumper brackets to get it to reach the mounting tabs. I used ratching straps to my truck to pull in a few areas at the same time plus some persuasion. After it was all set I was being anal and decided to press it a bit more after installed and cracked the dam tab.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

After it was all set I was being anal and decided to press it a bit more after installed and cracked the dam tab.

Have to say BTDT more than a few times. When will I learn sometimes good enough is really good enough.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Right on Bill, we usually use the loctite products here,

Some plastics are very difficult to repair, you basically need a glue that will basically melt the plastics back together,

You can try the method from @austin, that’s a good way to bond the plastic together.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

JB weld is too brittle to work with plastic unless it doesn’t flex. Use those come in a two part syringe works better.

Anonymous

Ok……I being an outstanding family member…….decided to replace the damaged headlight for my sis. She bumped the front quarter panel and broke the light. Hood is fine.

Found one in great shape at the junk yard….re aligned the whole quarter panel and bumper brackets to get it to reach the mounting tabs. I used ratching straps to my truck to pull in a few areas at the same time plus some persuasion. After it was all set I was being anal and decided to press it a bit more after installed and cracked the dam tab.

Oh no……….. I like to use two part epoxy over any glue, I’ve never had good luck with Gorilla glue and super glue just plain sucks. JB weld works good but not sure on plastic, There’s another product I like called MarineTex. It’s a lot like JB weld, I’ve had good luck with that too.

Gee, might be a good time for you to try and let us know about that new stuff ya see on tv all the time. The one that cures instantly with an included UV light, It’s also the one that claims to hold a frayed cable together to winch a truck up on a trailer Hahahaha. I don’t believe that of course but I am curious how it is for some other light duty stuff like you need

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I fixed the brand new led tail light on my boat trailer with some cheap super glue. I hit something with it and split it open. So far it is still holding great and has been under water several times now.
    I have also seen a glue advertised on tv that uses a light to cure it.
    Looked like good stuff but haven’t tried it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.484 seconds