dcsimg

Plaster washers (buttons)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I have a project that I need to use plaster washers (or some call them plaster buttons) to stabilize and secure a rock lath ceiling.

These are round perforated metal washers about 7/8″ in diameter, intended to provide better support to aging plaster.

I have not used these before, and they are not flat but are actually a little “convex”. My question is do you use a spade bit to make a really shallow dent (like 1/16″) then recess the washers into it?

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I have a project that I need to use plaster washers (or some call them plaster buttons) to stabilize and secure a rock lath ceiling.

These are round perforated metal washers about 7/8″ in diameter, intended to provide better support to aging plaster.

I have not used these before, and they are not flat but are actually a little “convex”. My question is do you use a spade bit to make a really shallow dent (like 1/16″) then recess the washers into it?

I don’t think I have used more than a couple of dozen of these but I simply snugged them up til they flattened against the plaster and skim coated over them. They did a good job for me where I used them.

No one ever gave me any instructions on how to use them any differently.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The ones I have has a slightly raised convex profile, and I need to be really careful not to over drive it because I don’t want to end up cracking it in an attempt to flatten it.

I tried it on a scrap piece of sheetrock and it didn’t flatten it enough the middle is still a bump.

In my case it’s old 60s style rock lath. A layer of 1/2″ gypsum ceiling, nailed to the furrings, then hand floated 1/2″ of brown coat plaster, then a 1/8″ layer of venetian plaster finish. Over an inch thick.

There was a time when there were people who are good at plastering a ceiling.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

You need to dimple the plaster surface first where the screw countersink in the button is. Doesn’t need to be much, just so the countersink in the button can pull in when the screw is tightened… then the washer will flatten

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I end up using a spade bit to countersink the middle and shave off a hair on the perimeter so the skim coat doesn’t need to be too much.

Worked out well. But I hate drilling with the drill facing up and cement dust raining down. Had a mask on but still this generated a lot of fine cement dust from the venetian plaster.

That bit is toast, but it gave me 18 dimples.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

next time put a small hole in a clear rubermaid or plastic food container. Put your bit through the hole and chuck it in your drill. then hold it against the ceiling to catch the dust. dump it after each hole.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

next time put a small hole in a clear rubermaid or plastic food container. Put your bit through the hole and chuck it in your drill. then hold it against the ceiling to catch the dust. dump it after each hole.

I didn’t use a plastic shield.

I bought some time ago (probably 8-10 years) an adjustable hole saw for ceiling recessed light cutout from this company called HOLEPRO. It comes with a see through shield so while you cut and the dust would be collected in the shield. Sounded like a good idea and I paid I think like $180 for it. The problem is when you were cutting, the dust are indeed traped inside this shield, and the entire inside of this shield will be completely filled with a dust cloud so you can’t see anything. I used it to cut six ceiling holes and hasn’t used it since.

I know they have an updated version where the shield has a hole off to the side for a vac hose connection. But I am not forking out another $180 for it LOL.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.397 seconds