dcsimg

Plants? You Got Any?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 320 total)
  • Author

anyone have thoughts on what grows best in this crazy climate?

You can have quite a successful garden John. Some folks will start the plants inside early and then transplant to have a headstart. We have grown string beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, sweet corn, beets, squash, zucchini, radishes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, peas along with the raspberries and strawberries as you mention. We were in an urban neighborhood so the interaction with other critters was minimal. We have moved to a more rural location and have deer that like to munch. Nothing beats a fresh vegetable dish out your garden.

Being in the suburban location we have a couple of acres of land. We have planted at least 20 different tree species around the house. The ash though are in danger to the Emerald Ash Borer. We lost some Austrian pines to heavy snow a few years back so there is always some new being planted to replace something else. With trees it is a slow grow.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Yup, just talk to your local green house. We can’t grow a lot of fruit (we call them exotics!) but raspberries, strawberries, apples, all do fairly well.

We start our tomatoes and peppers inside but everything else does OK on it’s own planted from seed.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I am a huge plant fan, I will be planting tons of stuff in the coming weeks. I have a tropical backyard setting. Including some banana trees.

Man, I am incredibly jealous.<br>
    I used to have some raspberry bushes that were amazing, but have since moved away from that house and always miss having tons of fresh raspberries. They were so, so good. I also used to have some strawberry and tomato plants, but I still haven’t gotten around to planting anything here in MN – anyone have thoughts on what grows best in this crazy climate?

Potatoes, apples?

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I still have a full pot of healthy poinsettias on my front porch that I bought the first of December.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

if it doesnt produce some sort of fruit or veggie, i dont care to plant it. my wife on the other hand must have a nice set of flowers each year to look at.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I wasn’t thinking of outside plants, we do have a good sized garden here, my wife mostly takes care of it and I build the boxes and help harvest. We have about 6 raspberry bushes and grow potatoes, beets, beans, pumpkins and cucumbers, and carrots. We get fresh salad every night for a few months in the spring / summer.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We know some guys have permits to grow Medicine They grow this crop indoors in high tech ways.
    Do any of you guys grow medicine

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I bought some seeds to plant a coffee plant a few months ago but they’re still in the package. I guess that means I haven’t killed it yet. Had to toss my Aloe plant last week that I killed.

You might want to do some research on the coffee tree. From what I know it grows in the tropics? I do know it needs to get cold at night at least cool for it to do well.

Dirty

I grow some herbs…. it sure beats the prices in the stores.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

Hi Carol I don’t think we met my name is CaliDecks you can call me CD. What kind of herbs do you grow? I used to live on a 140 acre organic vegetable farm and we had two acres of herbs. They are cool to grow.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I grow some herbs…. it sure beats the prices in the stores.

Fresh herbs at the table and cooking is always better tasting!
    Oh nice to see you stopped back by Carol.

Dirty

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Started the peppers and tomatoes yesterday. Should have done it a couple weeks ago but life got in the way.

Brad T

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

My wife is the true green thumb. Tomatoes and peppers are sprouting.

Every year I build 1 more raised bed.

She makes this blow your socks off Pepper jelly.

She also can not walk buy a poor looking plant and brings them home like an animal rescue.

Only the ones on government land! Not once have I had a green thumb. My wife though, very much into it.

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

My wife is the true green thumb. Tomatoes and peppers are sprouting.

Every year I build 1 more raised bed.

She makes this blow your socks off Pepper jelly.

She also can not walk buy a poor looking plant and brings them home like an animal rescue.

I am planning on building a raised bed this year to start some gardening? Do you have any advice? Pictures of yours?

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I am planning on building a raised bed this year to start some gardening? Do you have any advice? Pictures of yours?

Just build on for a neighbor lady. She wanted it 4’x12′ and 20″ tall for her tomato’s.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Attachments:
    TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

When Dirty was talking about growing herbs… I though there might be something different here..

--Steve

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Jim
    No pics, under snow still. 🙁

No real big deal. 2 x 12, 4 ft sq. Predrilled and screwed in the corners.

I use PT. I do slap a coat of paint to the inside. Also put a heavy layer of Geoteck on. Folded and stapled at the top and down and fold inwards a foot or so.

Lay a layer of 3/4 inch gravel at the corner and fill with weed free dirt. Now, if you can find weed free dirt let me know, OK ?

On a couple I used some 5/4 pt to build a trellis. Made a simple frame and put screws in. then tied twine, up and down for some plants to climb.

She is happy, therefore so am I.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve got simple raised beds. The key is drainage

If you have never read about Square Foot Gardening, do a google and i highly recommend his books. It’s a no nonsense approach to food production and is SOOOO easy and productive. Those three little plots along with one fence line, get us salads every day all summer and enough potatoes and salsa ingredients for the winter

Brad T

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 320 total)
  • The topic ‘Plants? You Got Any?’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 0.762 seconds