dcsimg

Plants? You Got Any?

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 320 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I think Costco has nematodes online every spring, along with ladybugs and praying mantis.

Really? I never would have imagined that. Especially considering that from what I recall is you have to keep nematodes refrigerated in their liquid sponge saturated medium vessel until you deploy them.

Next time you see that on their website, feel free to fire me off a PM.

Will do, I think they ship with ice pack, same goes for the ladybugs.

Doobie

@doobie,
    My boss has bought nematodes at CTC. Have you checked with them?

Maybe they do. Last time I bought them was like ten years ago and the only places they seemed to be available at the time was at dedicated gardening/nursery type places. Sounds like they are more widely available now.

So….I harvested my first Scotch Bonnet pepper. I let it sit for a couple of days, debating. They say that the smaller the pepper the hotter. I sliced it up today and popped about an eighth of it in my mouth….HOT….another eighth and Holy Spawn of Satan! OK, I almost broke the rule about too many punctuation marks there.

To compare…..a Jalepeno pepper measures between 2,500 to 8,000 Scoville units. A Scotch Bonnet goes from 100,000 to 350,000. So, about 40 times hotter.

I think I may be giving a lot of them away. I don’t mind a bit of spice and heat in food, but these things are evil.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Attachments:
    madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I harvested some of my potatoes yesterday. only 6 plants; started pretty late this year. still got a good yield. I believe I have 6 more plants which are still thriving. no clue how much pounds because I don’t have a scale 😀
    “Germany Butterball Potatoes”

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Attachments:

I harvested some of my potatoes yesterday. only 6 plants; started pretty late this year. still got a good yield. I believe I have 6 more plants which are still thriving. no clue how much pounds because I don’t have a scale 😀

Those look good, what will you be making with those, anything special, or just the basic for cooking, fries and so on,

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

So….I harvested my first Scotch Bonnet pepper. I let it sit for a couple of days, debating. They say that the smaller the pepper the hotter. I sliced it up today and popped about an eighth of it in my mouth….HOT….another eighth and Holy Spawn of Satan! OK, I almost broke the rule about too many punctuation marks there.

To compare…..a Jalepeno pepper measures between 2,500 to 8,000 Scoville units. A Scotch Bonnet goes from 100,000 to 350,000. So, about 40 times hotter.

I think I may be giving a lot of them away. I don’t mind a bit of spice and heat in food, but these things are evil.

While I do enjoy a good hot pepper. Some of these new peppers have gotten just to darn hot. lol
    I think @DirtyWhiteBoy always has some good ones growing.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Don’t forget, Scoville units is not a linear scale, it’s a logarithmic scale …. way more than 40 times hotter!

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@jimdaddyo
    I like Scotch Bonnets Close cousin Habanero. Just as HOT or even hotter, more of a fruity flavour than earthy flavour.
    I’ve only had a couple ripe Aji Limon’s so far.

@madman_us
    That looks like a nice little crop you picked there.
    Those small one would make nice oven baked crisps, sliced in half.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

You are ready to go to Mars!

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Those look good, what will you be making with those, anything special, or just the basic for cooking, fries and so on,

Thanks Brian, I might use a handful for some hash browns or some mashed potatoes. the rest goes back in the ground for growing season #2 😀
    I started with 15 potatoes this year and got quite a nice return/yield.
    A bunch of plants are still growing, they just don’t wanna die off haha. That means they still enough energy to produce tubers/ potatoes.

That looks like a nice little crop you picked there.
    Those small one would make nice oven baked crisps, sliced in half.

That sounds like a great idea. I still have more potatoes in the fridge which I harvested couple weeks ago.
    Red thumbs, cherry reds, yukon golds and gemstones
    all waiting for growing season #2

You are ready to go to Mars!

well, only if I can take all my bosch tools with me to build a farm up there 😀

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Don’t forget, Scoville units is not a linear scale, it’s a logarithmic scale …. way more than 40 times hotter!

I didn’t know that. After a certain amount of heat, it really doesn’t matter about the measurement. Mild,Tangy, Spicy, Hot, Dang Hot, and after that, it is irrelevant…..lol.

I must have had a bit of the juice on my finger. A couple of hours later I had an itch near my eye, and when I rubbed it I could feel my eye start to burn. Went and washed my face and hands right away.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I didn’t know that. After a certain amount of heat, it really doesn’t matter about the measurement. Mild,Tangy, Spicy, Hot, Dang Hot, and after that, it is irrelevant…..lol.

I must have had a bit of the juice on my finger. A couple of hours later I had an itch near my eye, and when I rubbed it I could feel my eye start to burn. Went and washed my face and hands right away.

At least you didn’t go pee!

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@RonW lol i’ve learnt my lesson when i visit @58chev, when he offers me one of those hot peppers i take half, but the last time he gave me a super tiny little pepper, i thought what the hey, i popped the whole thing and burned my mouth for half an hour.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Some of my grow, Have only picked a couple of Aji Limon and a couple red habs.

Black Pearl is doing well in the front flower garden. Great ornamental.

Bhut Jolokia, This from a ghost pepper in a can.

So far the only flower on my Chocolate Scorpion

Hot Portugal, this pepper is the largest I have in my yard that the critters have not touched.

Aji Limon, Lots of pod showing, hope they get a chance to turn.

Serrano’s, but the critters keep eating them.

@r-ice wrote:

ronw lol i’ve learnt my lesson when i visit 58chev, when he offers me one of those hot peppers i take half, but the last time he gave me a super tiny little pepper, i thought what the hey, i popped the whole thing and burned my mouth for half an hour.

hehe That was priceless, it was a White Habanero, these things are slightly bigger than a bean.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

A few reapers today

Oh those look nice! What will you do with them? It looks like I mixed up a bad batch of dirt and am have a bad year with my peppers. I do have a few habaneros getting ready. I’m trying to start some Hawaiian Chilies now too. They been in the dirt 8 days now and nothing yet.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I am still waiting on some lemon drop but everything else is doing ok. I need to get more pots so i can pot up some from the garden to over winter. This plant is doing the best, though my hungarian wax are keeping me in eatable peppers.

Not sure I am tempted to try some hot sauce with these, it will be my first attempt so who knows

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

A few reapers today

you and @58chev should do a homemade hot pepper sauce exchange. I can also send you guys some beef jerky i make from franks peppers.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

A few reapers today

they turned out nice daniel.
    I don’t know if there are any other reapers out there but are those Carolina Reaper? aren’t those the hottest pepper ?

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Not sure I am tempted to try some hot sauce with these, it will be my first attempt so who knows

Oh that would be narly!! I can’t seem to get any of the Carolina Reapers seeds over here. Maybe try roasting one to see if it calms it down any LOL! They just look mean.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 320 total)
  • The topic ‘Plants? You Got Any?’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 0.615 seconds