dcsimg

Plans for 2020? How to grow in terms of clientelle?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Evening, and first off…..Merry Christmas to you all.
    While this may not be the end of the fiscal year, or even the end of the construction season, I find myself thinking about how I’d like the company I work for to get “bigger”.
    I don’t mean that I’d like to see our team grow, or that we acquire more assets….but rather, how do we get to the next step?
    How do we attract a higher level of client?

I know several of you on here have broken in to a market where you’ve found folks that are willing to pay a fair price for a fair scope of work, and now I’d like to pick your brains…
    How did you reach that level?

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

We made sure that we always talked about the largest jobs we were doing, not the small handyman stuff. That built our image or brand and kept leading us to larger jobs.
    We found out what the best companies were charging and made sure we did the same.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man this Island is on fire with big work. My year is not over and I will do a lot more work before it is. The developer that we are building for has over 10,000 homes planed if the Economy stays good. Union pay is up to big bucks an hour here with very good bennies.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

CB
    Pro

Relationships.

Building bigger better bolder relationships is both the foundation and the scaffold that supports building a bigger better bolder business. And this works for most businesses, not just the business of building bigger better bolder buildings.

A good relationship with a key client. In DWB’s example immediately above, the “client” for his services as a carpenter is the developer who has another 10K units tentatively planned. To the extent that DWB “builds” a good relationship with the developer (or the superintendents acting on behalf of the developer), DWB will have a better chance of remaining involved with the developer’s projects.

The key client in Rob’s example was the larger job. Success in completing the larger job to the satisfaction of that client… leads to other larger jobs, as the best evidence of competence and capability is what one has previously done, and how satisfied the client was with it. That key client likely has relationships with peers who from time to time might seek that client’a advice for recommendations.

Good relationships last for a long time, and often intersect personal lives and interests with the world of work. Go fishing together. Hunting. Golfing. Boating. Little League. Whatever is in common. Those kinds of bonds more often than not lead to friendships, and when new work and opportunities come along, people feel good about recommending friends.

Time is the thread of authenticity that empowers this avalanche of good. The type of relationships discussed here aren’t just hit it and quit it, as what so often happens in small jobs. Rather, the relationships that build a business to the next level endure for many years… just like good businesses.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The developer that we are building for has over 10,000 homes planed if the Economy stays good. Union pay is up to big bucks an hour here with very good bennies.

That is great news DWB, glad to see you had a good 2019, hope 2020 will be even better. Nice you are getting union scale with bennies too.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.296 seconds