dcsimg

Pica Pencil

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

lol.. osb.. i hate marking on osb it chews up lead so fricking fast.. when im framing i carry like 3 pencils becasue i know ill go through em in no time

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

kzcarp
    Pro

I For marking rough surfaces such as OSB I find the Fatboy with the thicker lead works better.

I will second that, I’m a fan of the Fatboy for framing for that reason.

kevin

RyanF
    Pro

I just ordered one of these, looked at them on Amazon, they sell for about $65 there. Found them here much cheaper. http://www.festoolproducts.com/pica-dry-3030-pencil.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKEAiAtefDBRDTnbDnvM735xISJABlvGOvkH7DkYrd9cDqI4TmPxiFvcyMhpY2TIm_FG3uRgndnxoCxbDw_wcB
    Has anyone used these? They look like a really good pencil.

For $11.99 and free shipping, I’ll give it a whirl.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

For $11.99 and free shipping, I’ll give it a whirl.

That a better price than the 17 bucks I paid, I think it’s worth that.

I paid 20 for mine with 10 spare 2b leads.

I have been using it for about 3 weeks and really like it.

The 2b shows up well on tile and hardwood flooring.

I'm the only person I ever hit in the head with a hammer.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have abandoned the 0.5 mm mechanical pencil that is so easy to find. The lead just keeps breaking. Instead, I found a 0.9 mm model that gives a nice fine line but doesn’t break nearly as often.

I don’t know how a 2.8 mm pencil would work for me. It must need constant sharpening to keep a fine line.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive given up on using my pica. hate having to retract the lead every time you go to put it back in its sheath. if you dont retract the lead it just breaks

i will second the .9mm mechanical pencils. i use them for rough layout for my drawings. they dont break as easy. one thing i do need to do is find some red or white leads sot that i can mark on dark surfaces with it though

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

A tip on pencils. I learned this one in my drafting course when I was younger.

As you draw a line, hold the pencil at a slight angle with the back leading the direction of drawing. As you strike the line, spin the pencil slowly as you draw. This keeps the pencil sharp as you keep wearing the lead away in a conical fashion.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

As you draw a line, hold the pencil at a slight angle with the back leading the direction of drawing. As you strike the line, spin the pencil slowly as you draw. This keeps the pencil sharp as you keep wearing the lead away in a conical fashion.

Good tip! I’ll try to remember that next time I’m marking lumber.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

awesome advice right there JDO, but this probably takes quite some practice

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

ive given up on using my pica. hate having to retract the lead every time you go to put it back in its sheath. if you dont retract the lead it just breaks

i will second the .9mm mechanical pencils. i use them for rough layout for my drawings. they dont break as easy. one thing i do need to do is find some red or white leads sot that i can mark on dark surfaces with it though

I too would like to find coloured leads for the 0.9 mm. I’ll do some checking today.

Good tip, Jim.

I have abandoned the 0.5 mm mechanical pencil that is so easy to find. The lead just keeps breaking. Instead, I found a 0.9 mm model that gives a nice fine line but doesn’t break nearly as often.

I don’t know how a 2.8 mm pencil would work for me. It must need constant sharpening to keep a fine line.

I have used the 0.9 for years in the aircraft production, great pencil.
    And I remember seeing and using the color red led refills, I will try to find them.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good idea Thank you JDO

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

the best place to find colored leads is at a art supply store such as deserres they have the best pricing in canada.. michaels arts and crafts has a terrible selection along with god awful pricing.

last night i was digging around on amazon.ca. there was a seller who had colored .9 leads for a decent price but the shipping was almost double the price of 2 dozen leads….

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

the best place to find colored leads is at a art supply store such as deserres they have the best pricing in canada.. michaels arts and crafts has a terrible selection along with god awful pricing.

last night i was digging around on amazon.ca. there was a seller who had colored .9 leads for a decent price but the shipping was almost double the price of 2 dozen leads….

I found that, too. Best place I found was a quilting supply house in the mid-west somewhere. Shipping wasn’t bad but the exchange was the killer.

With the amount of quilting being done in my area, I’m sure I can find some locally. Job for next week.

Finally found my pencil, have had it for over 25 years, had to put some shrink wrap around the base, just because it was getting week at the threads,
    But definitely still working,

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Finally found my pencil, have had it for over 25 years

25 years for a pencil, the thing lasts. I need one of those.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Lol yeah working in aircraft is definitely not as hard on pencils and other things as construction, I definitely would not use this for rough construction, maybe finish work and stuff, but definitely not rough work.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Lol yeah working in aircraft is definitely not as hard on pencils and other things as construction, I definitely would not use this for rough construction, maybe finish work and stuff, but definitely not rough work.

I would say it owes you nothing by now.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

For those looking for a 0.9mm pencil with coloured leads… I think the Rite In The Rain mechanical pencil is 0.9mm,and I know for a fact that they have red and yellow lead refills.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.412 seconds