dcsimg

Pica Pencil

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I just ordered one of these, looked at them on Amazon, they sell for about $65 there. Found them here much cheaper. http://www.festoolproducts.com/pica-dry-3030-pencil.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKEAiAtefDBRDTnbDnvM735xISJABlvGOvkH7DkYrd9cDqI4TmPxiFvcyMhpY2TIm_FG3uRgndnxoCxbDw_wcB
    Has anyone used these? They look like a really good pencil.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have seen then at my local WoodCraft store and was wondering about them, I’ve almost bought it in the past.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I have seen a few guys using them on YT. Even Lee Valley sells them up here for cheaper than that…..$16.95 CDN. I like a 2B lead, darker line than the more common H or HB.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I have an old drafting pencil that has similar features , defiantly not as site tuff as this one looks , but with the 2B lead inside its great
    looks like a good deal

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have seen then at my local WoodCraft store and was wondering about them, I’ve almost bought it in the past.

Same here. The salesman seems to like them, but I prefer a harder lead that doesn’t need to be sharpened as often, so I didn’t pick one up.

And $65 on Amazon? Dang..something is wrong there!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

These interested me so I ordered from Lee Valley a while ago. Just haven’t needed to use one yet so no comment other than I liked what I saw when I unboxed them. What is nice is the different colored lead you can get which will help with marking parts.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i have 2 of them, i like them. they are definitely much sturdier than drafting pencils. only complaint is that you have to retract the lead back into it or it will break off in the green sheath

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have an old drafting pencil that has similar features , defiantly not as site tuff as this one looks , but with the 2B lead inside its great
    looks like a good deal

I have an older style Statler Mars and prefer to keep a 2H in there.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

woodman_412

I got one a couple weeks ago for my birthday and I really like it. I’ve been looking at one for awhile but never pulled the trigger. I’ve been using it for all my marking on the trim work I’ve been doing and I like it better than a regular pencil. It’s nice to always have a sharpener with you.

Dan

danpattison.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I got one a couple weeks ago for my birthday and I really like it. I’ve been looking at one for awhile but never pulled the trigger.

Same boat have it on my list but have not pulled the trigger. Maybe a short review is in order. Nice to see you like it though.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

one thing about the pica pencils is that they do have various leads for it.. my only beef is that they are slightly larger than the staedtler drafting penil leads which i have a ton of for drawing.

price point wise they are $20 now at lee valley in canada

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

one thing about the pica pencils is that they do have various leads for it.. my only beef is that they are slightly larger than the staedtler drafting penil leads which i have a ton of for drawing.

@jkirk
    , are any of the lead options on the harder side? Like a 3H or 4H?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I had thought about it, but I find I am one of those that can lose a pencil in a blink of an eye. I prefer just wood pencils I can stash all over the place, so i’ll always have a fresh one to use.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@jkirk, are any of the lead options on the harder side? Like a 3H or 4H?

LV has added an H option to the standard 2B. I don’t think either of those would be my choice but I do like the colour choices. A bit pricey for my means, though.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

as of right now it only looks like they have h , hb, 2b and yellow and red.. if you want softer leads you will have to go to a drafting pencil as they come in the full range of leads which you can get at any art supplies store.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=71121&cat=1,42936

https://www.deserres.ca/en/slumog
    https://www.deserres.ca/en/lead-holder-deluxe-2mm-metal-tn570

Doobie

I’ve looked at these pencils online briefly. Why would I want them? Nothing jumped out to me insofar as features and benefits and said ‘I want/need that’. Maybe I missed something.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I have one with the various colors of lead and like it. I primarily use it for marking through paper patterns onto uneven surfaces, split rock, etc. It works well for that.

The only drawback I’ve experienced is if it’s kept in a hot vehicle, the lead gets soft/brittle and the container for the lead gets warped and won’t close which causes the lead to fall out.

Resident Sign Guy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have one with the various colors of lead and like it. I primarily use it for marking through paper patterns onto uneven surfaces, split rock, etc. It works well for that.

The only drawback I’ve experienced is if it’s kept in a hot vehicle, the lead gets soft/brittle and the container for the lead gets warped and won’t close which causes the lead to fall out.

Moze Thank you for the insight. I have one on my list, guess I will not keep it in a hot car. LOL.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like mine , it sharpens up nice to make a very fine line.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I like mine, especially for marking aluminum for bending on the brake. For marking rough surfaces such as OSB I find the Fatboy with the thicker lead works better.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.344 seconds