dcsimg

PHONES & The APPS We Use On Them

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Maybe open a phone thread???

Sounds funny, but it definitely would be a good idea,

And with all the connected tools and accessories, it makes sense to have a dedicated phone thread.

I could probable learn something.

Not so sure that would fly.

Why Not???

Cell phones or smartphones are a great tool for sure. I use mine daily and use while in the shop.

Well let her fly!!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I consider myself technologically impaired so I will be following this thread to learn rather than contribute.

Thanks for taking the initiative, DWB.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I use a free app called units plus which is pretty handy for converting between metric and imperial. Also good for some other things, definitely worth checking out.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m no techno genius myself – I have an iPhone and use it mostly for finding contacts for jobs I need done and taking pictures of people problems to ask questions of people who know more than I do. I’d be curious to know what other uses you all have for yours and whether you all like iPhones vs android phones better, and if that preference is mostly price related or if there are some functional benefits to one platform over the other.

Charlie

Instagram

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have quite a few Bosch apps on my phone: iNVH,Toolbox, and the professional converter.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I’m no techno genius myself – I have an iPhone and use it mostly for finding contacts for jobs I need done and taking pictures of people problems to ask questions of people who know more than I do. I’d be curious to know what other uses you all have for yours and whether you all like iPhones vs android phones better, and if that preference is mostly price related or if there are some functional benefits to one platform over the other.

I would say that I am not a techno genius either. I like Android over Iphone. I find with Iphone people get then for the wrong reason. They have them because there friends has them. I am not saying there a bad phone. I just don’t want one. I like Android they seem to be easy to use and there lots of free apps. I usually get the free phone. I know is not free. But there is no money out of pocket when getting a new phone.

I use a app called Handyman Calculator I use mainly for adding up board feet of lumber I need for a project or checking the BDFT I just bought. It has other calculators on there also. I use YouTube app everyday to watch woodworking videos or figure how repair something. I also use other apps like Home Depot, Cdn Tire, Home Hardware, Amazon, Google search, Picture resizing app and my Podcast app. I would be lost with out my Camera on my phone. I use it take pictures of projects I make or projects would like to make. It is handy to have when your at Home Depot and you want to remember the price of something. I take a picture of it for future reference.

I find the biggest problem I have with my phones is never enough memory. With alot pictures apps & podcasts on my phone I run out of memory. So my pictures are usually backed up in Google photos. Then I delete them. Sometimes remove some apps I don’t use that much and if there is podcast I don’t like or don’t plan on listening to I remove them to free up memory.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

I just upgraded my Blackberry Q10 to a Blackberry Priv. I stayed with BB as I still wanted a physical keyboard and I also needed their better security for the work that I do. Something tells me though that this will likely be my last BB. I hope to get 4-5 years out of it. I’m not an Apple fan, so the next will likely be a Samsung or other decent branded Android device.

Took me close to a day to figure out how to transfer all my contacts over. Nothing I tried from the how-to’s on the internet worked. I finally figured out a way to do it all on my own. Real PITA. It was coming close to being a deal breaker and sending it back.

This Priv is way more a better Android phone than my Q10 pretended to be. It’s got a heck of a lot more functionality too. With having a full screen now I won’t feel the need to drag around and tether my tablet with me near as often as well.

I wasn’t really looking to upgrade my phone, I just tripped over it on the internet at $300 unlocked which I think is about a third of the price it was when it first came put in late 2015. So far I like it more and more every day. Still gotta watch some more online tutorials to learn all its features and little secrets. I just discovered a few days ago that I can take screen shots with it. That’ll be handy at times.

The camera on it is 18 megapixel which kinda surprised me. We brought our Nikon little Coolpix camera on our vacation last week and never used it once.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Doobie wrote:
    Not so sure that would fly.

Why Not???

Just keep it work related, and the thread can keep running. There is no need for games, social media apps, etc!

I’m an iPhone user myself. I have the 8plus version, which is mostly used for pictures and accessing my estimates/invoices in the field.

Frankly, the most common “app” I use is Google. I don’t really have a need for specialized apps (maybe I just haven’t found the right one) as I can just search for the info I need.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I have a few different apps that I use for work on a regular basis…Quickbooks app for invoicing, Office Lens for scanning documents to email, Construction Master for calculating, Facebook for business ads and marketing…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I use the BuildCalc app for my construction calculator. It’s not free, about 30 bucks I believe, but well worth it. My camera gets used a lot, and Google maps for finding new jobsite. I have a Bosch app that connects to my laser measure, but haven’t really taken the tome to learn how to put it to use.

@DirtyWhiteBoy thanks for the thread

I am definitely not a techie either.
    I use my BlackBerry calculator ,
    Plus the maps app,
    I also have two Websites that were recommend by members here
    One is a stair calculator and the other is for wainscoting

I am not an apple fan, will be looking to upgrade to another BlackBerry, but the android platform

I don’t check out that app you recommend Kyle @kswiss

Oh, I forgot, the other thing I did was download the Bosch application on my wife’s apple tablet for the PB360C

I don’t touch my phone at work or else some old timer may say some wise man anecdote about millennial’s and their phones not working hard as they boast about climbing a ladder 38 times that day! Nah I do bust out my phone to go on manufacturers websites and read up on all the things not included on the label of products or tools, and I try not to be discouraged that the juicy info is hidden behind paywalls. I tend to receive comments on my phones case a lot when I use it – https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Shockproof-Aluminum-Military-Fingerprint/dp/B00LHHM8XC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521312765&sr=8-1&keywords=iphone+5+military+case which I bought 2 years ago after an $80 “life proof” shredded itself to death from being in my pocket.

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I use the BuildCalc app for my construction calculator.

I use the BuildCalc also and the Pitch Gauge is a handy one to find the roof pitch fast.

Dirty

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I use a free app called units plus which is pretty handy for converting between metric and imperial. Also good for some other things, definitely worth checking out.

I have add Units Plus app too phone to give it a try.

I have a few different apps that I use for work on a regular basis…Quickbooks app for invoicing, Office Lens for scanning documents to email, Construction Master for calculating, Facebook for business ads and marketing…

I have add this Office Lens app to my phone to try. I tried it on a sketch and seem work pretty good.

Greg

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

I have several apps I use as a truckdriver and I use the HD and Lowes apps

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I use the BuildCalc app for my construction calculator.

I use the BuildCalc also and the Pitch Gauge is a handy one to find the roof pitch fast.

I have Pitch Gauge. And like it. Fraction calculator plus is another good one.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Some good ideas here. The Office Lens is one I will be trying very soon.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

BuildCalc has come up a few times…anyone want to describe what it does and why its necessary?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have used this Level app a few times. I found to pretty handy when I didn’t have a level near by. The last time I use was level the fridge in my rental apartment.

Some good ideas here. The Office Lens is one I will be trying very soon.

The Office Lens looks a very good app.

Greg

Attachments:
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I use the HD and Lowes apps

What do those apps do??

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.436 seconds