dcsimg

PEX for compressed air lines

Tagged: 

This topic contains 40 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2588060&postcount=13

That’s one of those copper piping cooler setups.

Anonymous

I didn’t know there were this many ways to connect PEX. Pretty neat.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/xCwxbT_hhFQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Great video showing all the methods, I only knew of the metal crimp rings plus sharkbites. I’m still trying to figure out that expansion method, I don’t think I like that one. Boy it would be fun to put a system together with sharkbites, Except for the cost of them

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/xCwxbT_hhFQ?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Great video showing all the methods, I only knew of the metal crimp rings plus sharkbites. I’m still trying to figure out that expansion method, I don’t think I like that one. Boy it would be fun to put a system together with sharkbites, Except for the cost of them

Neat stuff but, for me, I’ll do it in copper. I don’t have any PEX tools and don’t think I would have use for it in the future.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

Anonymous

Something else that might help with a PEX air system is to run the PEX line high like Brad mentioned but make all your drop legs from copper. The big issue with PEX air lines is that the PEX allows moisture to stay airborne so if you had a 5 foot copper drop with a tee for your connection a foot up from the bottom of the drop and a drain at the end of the drop…It wouldn’t get rid of all the moisture but it would surely help.

Oh man I really like that idea, Especially with the drain valve at the bottom of the drop. Sounds a lot better then like what I have to do, Get down under the tank to drain it. Perhaps that’s why it doesn’t get done for me, But if the drain valve is nice and handy like that it would get done daily

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

How about air hoses run to where you want . Start from a homemade manifold. You can use old ones you don’t use anymore.

That is a great idea , I have a bunch of older hoses that leak at the ends but I could still use then for running permanent lines in my shop .

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Another issue that I have with soft line (pex or old airline) in a permanent install is it blowing. I’ve had rubber lines blow with no apparent (visible) signs. We used to be pretty diligent about shutting off the air in our shop but not any more.

I shut off my air in my garage every night.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Anonymous

Another issue that I have with soft line (pex or old airline) in a permanent install is it blowing. I’ve had rubber lines blow with no apparent (visible) signs. We used to be pretty diligent about shutting off the air in our shop but not any more.

Dang it, shutting off the air ‘supply’ to the lines every night is a good idea. I usually shut off the compressor but never close the valve coming out of it, I gotta start doing that since all my air is rubber hose. And about 80 ft total from compressor to end of reel, Close to 20 years old too..Yikes!!

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Dang it, shutting off the air ‘supply’ to the lines every night is a good idea. I usually shut off the compressor but never close the valve coming out of it, I gotta start doing that since all my air is rubber hose. And about 80 ft total from compressor to end of reel, Close to 20 years old too..Yikes!!

I always unplug my big compressor every night .Sometimes if there is a slow leak the compressor would kick on at night and it gets pretty loud .

staker
    Pro

I shut it off and drain the tank if there is moisture in the tank it wont corrode. I don’t use my compresure every day

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I shut it off and drain the tank if there is moisture in the tank it wont corrode. I don’t use my compresure every day

A lot of people never drain their tanks. It is crazy how much condensation builds up.

I would recommend using anything other than plastic pipe for compressed air. I myself have worked in many compressor installations, and going plastic is the last thing I would do (yes i have had it explode in my face). I bought a product called AIRnet for my garage. It was easy to install, and the price was reasonable.

Check it out. I’ll try to load some pictures from my garage later. I hope you find this info helpful as I did.

http://www.airnet-system.com/us/

http://www.airnet-system.com/us/videos/airnetpfseriesinstallationvideo.aspx

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

@jonnycopco welcome to BTP. You will notice at the head of the first page there is a sticky thread for new members to introduce themselves and another that has the forum rules. Please take a minute and check those out then enjoy your time here.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

@jonnycopco welcome to BTP. You will notice at the head of the first page there is a sticky thread for new members to introduce themselves and another that has the forum rules. Please take a minute and check those out then enjoy your time here.

What happened to John’s post @chadm?

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I would rather run copper/steel but pex will work just make sure you have a way to drain condensation.

Please don’t even think about using copper for compressed air. The moisture in the air contains an acid byproduct of the compressor oil breakdown that will blow through copper.
    Schedule 40 iron is best for any air line.

Something else that might help with a PEX air system is to run the PEX line high like Brad mentioned but make all your drop legs from copper. The big issue with PEX air lines is that the PEX allows moisture to stay airborne so if you had a 5 foot copper drop with a tee for your connection a foot up from the bottom of the drop and a drain at the end of the drop…It wouldn’t get rid of all the moisture but it would surely help.

That’s the correct way to plumb a drop, but, no copper. Moisture stays in air as long as the temp is high enough. Drop the temp and the water drops out. Take drops from the top of the line through a u-bend down to the tee to keep water away from your tools.
    Lubricate tools at the end of each use. Couple of drops of oil into the inlet; quick shot of air and put them away.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

@maukarunner I have no idea why my post was deleted.

Anonymous

@maukarunner I have no idea why my post was deleted.

@jonnycopco Welcome to the place, Please check your PM’s. Thanks

Thanks for posting this. Very informative.

Anyone ever used the compression fittings? I’ve only seen the crimp and sharkbite.

It holds a LOT of moisture in the droops if that makes sense.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Any dip in the line is going to be a spot for moisture to collect.

If you are going to use it for paint spraying purposes, consider galvanized piping. That’s what I have everywhere in my shop. 1″. Almost like it’s own storage container.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Schedule 40 iron is what I always seen air lines run with. That stuff is thick. We use it for fence post too.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Anonymous

I used PEX to plumb up one of my work benches with air, Here’s the thread on it. so far I haven’t had a bit of trouble with it,It’s a very handy addition http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/upgrading-my-work-bench/

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.866 seconds