dcsimg

Pet allergies on the jobsite

This topic contains 28 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  roninohio 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

No animal allergies here. Only mineral wool. If I don’t have the mask on every time I handle that stuff, I start to cough.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

No animal allergies here. Only mineral wool. If I don’t have the mask on every time I handle that stuff, I start to cough.

I hate that stuff!

Most dander is in the 5-10 micron range. Get an ambient air filter for a couple of hundred bucks that will clear out better than that range, like one of these

https://www.grizzly.com/products/category/570030

Put up plastic, and clean the air inside your bubble with it. Wont get the really small stuff, but if you’re only feeling 1% of it instead of 100%, will make a huge difference

And you can tell the client it is to control the dust levels in the house. Better air for you (both contaminants and allergens) and sounds good to the client

I have one of those (a Wen from Amazon) and run it for a few hours before my SIL visits. We have one cat, but she is really allergic. Keep the cat upstairs, run the filter on the main level and vacuum the soft surfaces, and she does not feel any symptoms. Works well

Sure make it sound easy. Think from your previous job site you have to admit that here is a little difference between keeping a cat upstairs for a visit with little microns of whatever all settled down as to going into rehab a house where your tearing out carpets, repairing drywall or pulling off base boards to put new floors in (stirs up the air a little more). Also not sure of how bad the allergies are, first 30 years I never was, now if I go into a house with several cats I can tell in a matter of minutes and it usually isn’t good. Sounds like a great idea for the right job/person, just don’t think it would be beneficial on some of the jobs.

I could see how that could be the case.

Doesnt someone here have a big monster (hepa even?) air cleaner? That would help, likely

If the little pieces of cat dander never make it to you, and arent in the air near you, it should help, even if its only removing half of it

Not saying its a solution, especially for people with a dozen cats running free through where youre working (seriously, why cant people keep their pets in a safe place during renovations?)

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I think I would just move on to the next job. I’m not sure how it affects you. If it is just a minor thing I would just hurry and get done and get out. Maybe a good dust mask would help?

kzcarp
    Pro

I agree with @roninohio about the dust mask. I know that I’ve gotten very close to mine in the last couple of months.
    I’m similar to @jponto07 with how I react to cats. I pet one and inevitably touch my face. And then they eyes get itchy and on and on.

kevin

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Most dander is in the 5-10 micron range. Get an ambient air filter for a couple of hundred bucks that will clear out better than that range, like one of these

https://www.grizzly.com/products/category/570030

Put up plastic, and clean the air inside your bubble with it. Wont get the really small stuff, but if you’re only feeling 1% of it instead of 100%, will make a huge difference

And you can tell the client it is to control the dust levels in the house. Better air for you (both contaminants and allergens) and sounds good to the client

I have one of those (a Wen from Amazon) and run it for a few hours before my SIL visits. We have one cat, but she is really allergic. Keep the cat upstairs, run the filter on the main level and vacuum the soft surfaces, and she does not feel any symptoms. Works well

Sure make it sound easy. Think from your previous job site you have to admit that here is a little difference between keeping a cat upstairs for a visit with little microns of whatever all settled down as to going into rehab a house where your tearing out carpets, repairing drywall or pulling off base boards to put new floors in (stirs up the air a little more). Also not sure of how bad the allergies are, first 30 years I never was, now if I go into a house with several cats I can tell in a matter of minutes and it usually isn’t good. Sounds like a great idea for the right job/person, just don’t think it would be beneficial on some of the jobs.

I could see how that could be the case.

Doesnt someone here have a big monster (hepa even?) air cleaner? That would help, likely

If the little pieces of cat dander never make it to you, and arent in the air near you, it should help, even if its only removing half of it

Not saying its a solution, especially for people with a dozen cats running free through where youre working (seriously, why cant people keep their pets in a safe place during renovations?)

Do they have portable air cleaners like that? i’ve never seen anything like that and of the air cleaners i have used, i am unsure it works all that well. I know humidifiers with filters somewhat works

I always add a cat fee on. Just to pay for the allergy medicine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I always add a cat fee on. Just to pay for the allergy medicine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What kind of allergy medicine do you take? I’ve never taken any, since I’m seldom around cats, but if I do this job it might be a good idea.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I just use Visine allergy eye drops since my eyes are all that usually gets affected.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.872 seconds