dcsimg

Permit Snitching – How do they really catch you?

Viewing 20 posts - 421 through 440 (of 457 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

OLD Thread Warning.

Follow up….

MPAC assessor who was here in regards to my shed build permit and wanted to clear the file as it was nearing completion.

This brings me to what outcome my shed will have on our assessment. None!

A couple of weeks ago, I got a new reassessment in the mail that didn’t indicate in any way what in fact was being reassessed. So I called them and still had no real answers so then I filed a request for a review. Well today we got a call from them and this is the BS we were told.

Contrary to what the assessor on site said to me who was out here some months ago, they are assessing our new shed some value, but not as a shed, but the lesser value of it being a workshop, which it is not. We were told this is better than it being deemed as a Cabana as instead of attributing as a workshop they only add a $2K value to it rather than a $28K value as a cabana. Apparently this is all because it has electrical running to it, which was one of the requirements the town imposes it to have when you apply for a permit for an accesspry structure on one’s property over 108 square feet. What a load of Catch-22 garbage!

Now you might say I was lucky getting added a $2K value for the shed versus a $28K value, but here’s the burn in my arse. They saw that the windows had been upgraded on the house. That added another 13K to my assessed value. What BS!!! The f-in windows were done in the 90’s years before we moved into this house 17 years ago and were there when a door to door MPAC assesor came by about a dozen years ago.

Such bullcrap! While the total reassessed value being 15K higher now adds another $120 in property taxes yearly, it is obviously just a game they play to assess something rather than nothing. While I want to take this to another level and argue all this, my wife doesn’t want me to and just accept it as it is.

Now, what do I do when I go to build my wife’s 150 square foot sauna building next year and a large deck around our pool? I did ask the inspector who had signed off on the shed permit about this, and he finally admitted to me that the only reason I got called out on my shed for a permit was because of a complaint by a neighbor rather than what he said to me originally that it was him who saw it going up from accross the way one day in his travels. He did say if I applied for a permit for the sauna that he would have to have me dig out a pier as it is mandatory on any situation like that and not some kind of slap on the wrist they impose. He said if a guy is being a real jerk with him, that’s where he would get the guy to dig out all piers to inspect depth rather than just one. One pier dig out is not a nightmare, but it is a big waste of time in my mind and on my end. The pier digout I had to do on the shed build took me around 3 hours to do, but where the sauna building is there is a huge maple’s root structure to contend with.

He also said if I didn’t apply for a permit and they got a call at the town, the penalties for building without a permit would be no different than the first time which is basically a doubling of the $120 permit fee. Prior to today I was gonna get a permit, but now I’m heavily leaning towards not getting one for the sauna building structure. The inspector did say if he saw it going up, he would NOT knock on my door. I guess he likes me somewhat. It pays to not piss off a guy who’s just doing his job.

The real question is though, will the neighbors call again. The first time, I could understand as they only did so once they saw the roof was 15 feet high. The sauna structure isn’t even on their side of my property and will not be some super high structure like the shed either. Time will tell what I’ll actually do and what will happen. I may just decide to build my sauna structure to the max size that doesn’t require a permit, but I kinda end up with wasting piers that I would have to break up that are already in place for a larger originally intended structure.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD Thread Warning.

Follow up….

MPAC assessor who was here in regards to my shed build permit and wanted to clear the file as it was nearing completion.

This brings me to what outcome my shed will have on our assessment. None!

A couple of weeks ago, I got a new reassessment in the mail that didn’t indicate in any way what in fact was being reassessed. So I called them and still had no real answers so then I filed a request for a review. Well today we got a call from them and this is the BS we were told.

Contrary to what the assessor on site said to me who was out here some months ago, they are assessing our new shed some value, but not as a shed, but the lesser value of it being a workshop, which it is not. We were told this is better than it being deemed as a Cabana as instead of attributing as a workshop they only add a $2K value to it rather than a $28K value as a cabana. Apparently this is all because it has electrical running to it, which was one of the requirements the town imposes it to have when you apply for a permit for an accesspry structure on one’s property over 108 square feet. What a load of Catch-22 garbage!

Now you might say I was lucky getting added a $2K value for the shed versus a $28K value, but here’s the burn in my arse. They saw that the windows had been upgraded on the house. That added another 13K to my assessed value. What BS!!! The f-in windows were done in the 90’s years before we moved into this house 17 years ago and were there when a door to door MPAC assesor came by about a dozen years ago.

Such bullcrap! While the total reassessed value being 15K higher now adds another $120 in property taxes yearly, it is obviously just a game they play to assess something rather than nothing. While I want to take this to another level and argue all this, my wife doesn’t want me to and just accept it as it is.

Now, what do I do when I go to build my wife’s 150 square foot sauna building next year and a large deck around our pool? I did ask the inspector who had signed off on the shed permit about this, and he finally admitted to me that the only reason I got called out on my shed for a permit was because of a complaint by a neighbor rather than what he said to me originally that it was him who saw it going up from accross the way one day in his travels. He did say if I applied for a permit for the sauna that he would have to have me dig out a pier as it is mandatory on any situation like that and not some kind of slap on the wrist they impose. He said if a guy is being a real jerk with him, that’s where he would get the guy to dig out all piers to inspect depth rather than just one. One pier dig out is not a nightmare, but it is a big waste of time in my mind and on my end. The pier digout I had to do on the shed build took me around 3 hours to do, but where the sauna building is there is a huge maple’s root structure to contend with.

He also said if I didn’t apply for a permit and they got a call at the town, the penalties for building without a permit would be no different than the first time which is basically a doubling of the $120 permit fee. Prior to today I was gonna get a permit, but now I’m heavily leaning towards not getting one for the sauna building structure. The inspector did say if he saw it going up, he would NOT knock on my door. I guess he likes me somewhat. It pays to not piss off a guy who’s just doing his job.

The real question is though, will the neighbors call again. The first time, I could understand as they only did so once they saw the roof was 15 feet high. The sauna structure isn’t even on their side of my property and will not be some super high structure like the shed either. Time will tell what I’ll actually do and what will happen. I may just decide to build my sauna structure to the max size that doesn’t require a permit, but I kinda end up with wasting piers that I would have to break up that are already in place for a larger originally intended structure.

I too got my new reassessment a couple weeks ago. I disputed my assessmnet and got lowered my $15 000. It funny I put new windows in my place 5 years ago. Nothing was mention about the new windows.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Well….that’s what happens when you invite the government to your house @doobie!

Why did you call them exactly?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well that sucks,

Doobie

Well….that’s what happens when you invite the government to your house @doobie!

Why did you call them exactly?

Unfortumately, it was the post permit review and cannot be avoided that they come over and take a look.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

I might be looking at adding 6 x 12 addition to a workshop at my new place. I was planning on building a garage this year. I don’t think I have the budget or time this year. Moving into a new neighborhood that might have a few stitches I will probably get a permit for this job. Adding addition on to the workshop is a job I can do and have it done before winter hits. I hope!

Greg

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I might be looking at adding 6 x 12 addition to a workshop at my new place

Hope it all works out and you get it done fast.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

OLD THREAD WARNING

I might be looking at adding 6 x 12 addition to a workshop at my new place. I was planning on building a garage this year. I don’t think I have the budget or time this year. Moving into a new neighborhood that might have a few stitches I will probably get a permit for this job. Adding addition on to the workshop is a job I can do and have it done before winter hits. I hope!

That existing shed looks awful close to grade. Any signs of water infiltration in it? Is the bottom of that door rusting or rotting?

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

That existing shed looks awful close to grade. Any signs of water infiltration in it? Is the bottom of that door rusting or rotting?

Yes your right the shed is close to grade. I couldn’t see much in the shed as it is full of stuff. I didn’t notice the bottom of the door.
    This shed/workshop was built 40 plus years ago so anything could be wrong with it. The man that used it as workshop passed away 14 years ago. It has been mainly used as storage since then.

Greg

OLD THREAD WARNING

Will you be attaching it to that one in the picture , it’s hard to see , but it does look like it’s had it’s time , maybe it would be better just to rip it all down and rebuild a better more up-to-date place , just a thought ,
    Good luck with that , will be interesting to see what you decide to do.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

Will you be attaching it to that one in the picture , it’s hard to see , but it does look like it’s had it’s time , maybe it would be better just to rip it all down and rebuild a better more up-to-date place , just a thought ,

Yes I would be attaching the addition to the one in the picture.

If it is hard to see how can you tell it has seen it’s time?

I don’t think I will be tearing it down. I mentioned in my original post due to time and budget I won’t be building a garage this year. So it wouldn’t make much sense to tear this workshop down and not have one. It might not look like alot in the picture with roof that needs replaced and steel sheathing on exterior of the building. I will be replacing the roof and removing the steel off the exterior at some point.

Greg

OLD THREAD WARNING

I don’t think I will be tearing it down. I mentioned in my original post due to time and budget I won’t be building a garage this year. So it wouldn’t make much sense to tear this workshop down and not have one. It might not look like alot in the picture with roof that needs replaced and steel sheathing on exterior of the building. I will be replacing the roof and removing the steel off the exterior at some point.

Well because you mentioned it was 40 years old just above , that’s why I asked about the condition , 🤷‍♂️ sorry if I crossed the line , I was just asking a question besides you mentioned replacement of the roof and siding , at that point , I’d probably just make it better and bigger , seems like by the sounds of it , you didn’t even notice that the door was not in good shape 🤷‍♂️

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

Well because you mentioned it was 40 years old just above , that’s why I asked about the condition , 🤷‍♂️ sorry if I crossed the line , I was just asking a question besides you mentioned replacement of the roof and siding , at that point , I’d probably just make it better and bigger , seems like by the sounds of it , you didn’t even notice that the door was not in good shape 🤷‍♂️

Yes I mention the age of the workshop was 40 plus years old. It has been since June since I saw this workshop/shed. From what remember it wasn’t falling down.and I didn’t notice the door was in bad shape. So most likey the door wasn’t. Doors can be replaced. I was planning on relocating the door if I built the addition. It all look to be decent shape and there was more important this look at then the shed/workshop. It just came with house we bought.

I love a bigger new workshop. But I think this building will do just find. A older shop is perfect fit for my older tools. I will know alot more when we take ownership

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Is the bottom of that door rusting or rotting?

I took a look again at some of the photos I have of the shed/workshop. I think what you might be seeing is grass or weeds. There is a section of eavestrough above the door. You would think this might help water run off from the door. I will find out more at the end of September.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I love a bigger new workshop. But I think this building will do just find. A older shop is perfect fit for my older tools. I will know alot more when we take ownership

Just keep modifying it until it fits what you want.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Just keep modifying it until it fits what you want.

Maybe that’s what I will have to do. Like I said I will know more when I get there. There isn’t alot I can do in the fall.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Maybe that’s what I will have to do.

That was my plan and it worked out alright when I did my garages.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Maybe that’s what I will have to do.

That was my plan and it worked out alright when I did my garages.

Good to hear to worked it out for you when you were building your garages.

My original plan has changed since we purchase the our new place. I guess this what happens when you have a long closing date. Since there was no garage with house. I want see if there was enough property to build one. The workshop/shed would be shed for storing stuff. I have enough property to build a garage. Now I not sure if I want take up that much back yard. It also includes extending the driveway. Deciding doing more upgrades to the house has changed my mind to using the shed/workshop as workshop for now. I know some have suggested to tear it down due to it’s age and condition of the outside of the building. By add a 6 x 12 addition would give me pretty decent work space. The new work space would be 12 x 20. It won’t be huge shop. It will give enough space to do what I want to do. I will put a new roof & siding on it . I do plan on sprucing up the inside.

Greg

Doobie

Is the bottom of that door rusting or rotting?

I took a look again at some of the photos I have of the shed/workshop. I think what you might be seeing is grass or weeds. There is a section of eavestrough above the door. You would think this might help water run off from the door. I will find out more at the end of September.

I was thinking more about built up snow melt being the bad element.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The new work space would be 12 x 20. It won’t be huge shop. It will give enough space to do what I want to do. I will put a new roof & siding on it . I do plan on sprucing up the inside.

Sounds like a good deal.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 421 through 440 (of 457 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.425 seconds