dcsimg

Permit Snitching – How do they really catch you?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 457 total)
  • Author
    thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Just to clarify, when you pull a permit in the city you need all those as NJBuilder listed. They do come and inspect, and there are BIG fines if you continue to build without the tag signed off.

In the country…not so much.

Even when you do pull permits in the city, it sometimes depends on what it is, for my garage as an example, I had the first framing inspection done, the electrical inspection done (dude didn’t even look in the garage) and that’s it.

I still have the gas and final inspection notice tags hanging up in my garage… from 8 years ago 🙂

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the same kind of A-hole neighbors

Neighbors suck. I will never have one again.

That stinks…I love my neighbors! Great people. We all look out for each other.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

@Skillman, that’s right, if you have a permit and it is done correctly, no problems should arise when, if you sell.
    But on the other hand. I have bought and sold 4 places in the town I live in presently 2 of those where brand new builds, but the other 2 are about 10 years old, my point is every time I buy, they come and hand me another welcome tax, the previous owner paid that the first time, and I have to pay it again. And when I sell, the next owner has to pay it again. SCAM, I lived in the same town for the last 11 years, it’s not as I am new here.

Sorry that was my rant :o.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I understand that on your own property pulling permits might be a pain. As a professional, how silly will you look when the city shuts you down on a project you are doing for someone else. That is probably one of the most unprofessional things that can happen. I don’t even like to have corrections noted on the permit card on projects that we are doing in homes.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

That stinks…I love my neighbors! Great people. We all look out for each other.

Good neighbors make a big difference. My neighbor on the east side of me is a great dude – we do a lot of cookouts, drink some beers together – good guy. The neighbor on the west side of me….not so much. He calls the city 3 or 4 times a year complaining that I am disruptive to the neighborhood because I am operating a business in a residential zoned area, he calls the cops when my dogs bark, calls the cops and the FD if I have a fire in the back yard, if the other neighbor or I have a party he calls the cops repeatedly….

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

I understand that on your own property pulling permits might be a pain. As a professional, how silly will you look when the city shuts you down on a project you are doing for someone else. That is probably one of the most unprofessional things that can happen. I don’t even like to have corrections noted on the permit card on projects that we are doing in homes.

Very good point, would not look to professional.

@ChadM
    I had a neighbor like that at our 2 ND home, your right what an A hole,
    Not to many people liked him on the street.
    An old friend once said that the best neighbor is a tall fence. Lol. I’m beginning to believe him

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

@ChadM
    An old friend once said that the best neighbor is a tall fence. Lol. I’m beginning to believe him

He is an A hole – I usually ignore him but sometimes he really gets under my skin so I will get on the bike and sit in front of his house for 5 minutes adjusting my helmet and my jacket…and I usually open up the choke a little to give the exhaust that little extra volume lol.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

@ChadM

He is an A hole – I usually ignore him but sometimes he really gets under my skin so I will get on the bike and sit in front of his house for 5 minutes adjusting my helmet and my jacket…and I usually open up the choke a little to give the exhaust that little extra volume lol.

Good for you. Love to have you as a neighbor. I send out the hounds from hell and let them bark up a storm lol

Oh sorry wrong pictures can’t find the ones of my pit bull
    Lol

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

@ChadM

Sometimes when my neighbor goes outside for a smoke at night ill toss a large firecracker in the air and scare the snot out of her . Then I hear her yell You F,in A-hole 🙂

@ChadM

Sometimes when my neighbor goes outside for a smoke at night ill toss a large firecracker in the air and scare the snot out of her . Then I hear her yell You F,in A-hole :-)

I just choked on my coffee, man that would be hilarious to see.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Since I manage an apartment complex, I make sure permits are pulled every time work is done here. I had a pool contractor tell me he didn’t need a permit for some work he was doing. Well, I found out after he did a lousy job that he did need a permit. From then on, I make dang sure that an inspector comes out for every stage of work. I go to the building and planning office myself to check on which work needs permits.

I can understand not wanting to pull a permit on your own property, but I’m responsible for the welfare of 26 families and I’ve seen enough screwups on this place from the original builders. I’m working hard to make them right and I don’t want a contractor coming in here cutting corners any more.

Pat

redwood
    Pro

First of all let me say that having a permit in no way guarantees anything. It doesn’t speak to quality, it doesn’t necessarily speak to safety, and it doesn’t guarantee that it was done right. Your region might be different, but I doubt it. If a issue arises down the road for anything, who get’s sued. It’s usually not the government that oversaw the project, it’s the guys who did the work.

I’ve done a fair share of work without required permits. If I didn’t, I would have been out of business long ago. I don’t have a problem pulling permits. I’m licensed, bonded and insured. Unfortunately, some (a lot) of my clients have issues with getting permits. In 40+ years of contracting, we have been stopped twice and red tagged. Both times, I was a sub, so my name never came up with the gov’t agency. Both times, the owner knew the risks and both times it was a neighbor that complained. The agencies here are so understaffed there is no way they can send people out looking for violations.

This isn’t Kansas, here in Calif. The hoops you have to go through and the costs to pull a permit would have some of you pulling out your hair.

OK, shoot me. But remember I’m retired now.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

First of all let me say that having a permit in no way guarantees anything. It doesn’t speak to quality, it doesn’t necessarily speak to safety, and it doesn’t guarantee that it was done right. Your region might be different, but I doubt it. If a issue arises down the road for anything, who get’s sued. It’s usually not the government that oversaw the project, it’s the guys who did the work.

Exactly. Something the average non-contractor can’t seem to get. Many think the government somehow forces us to do quality work, and without it, we’d all just be a bunch of thieving hacks.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I would never suggest that we do a project without a permit to any homeowner. If they bring it up, as sometimes they have their reasons, I will consider doing the job without one. Really depends on the customer. To me, it looks bad if I start out with “We don’t need permits for this”

redwood
    Pro

I would never suggest that we do a project without a permit to any homeowner. If they bring it up, as sometimes they have their reasons, I will consider doing the job without one. Really depends on the customer. To me, it looks bad if I start out with “We don’t need permits for this”

Just to be clear, I have never told anyone they don’t need a permit, in fact, I will tell them when it is required. The last 10 years, most of my client base was in the small mountain range where I live. We are in a Seismic zone. What this means for even a small replacement deck is that most likely we will require soils engineering and structural engineering. Gone are the days when inspectors used common sense to OK plans. Now everything is to protect their A**.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Just to be clear, I have never told anyone they don’t need a permit, in fact, I will tell them when it is required. The last 10 years, most of my client base was in the small mountain range where I live. We are in a Seismic zone. What this means for even a small replacement deck is that most likely we will require soils engineering and structural engineering. Gone are the days when inspectors used common sense to OK plans. Now everything is to protect their A**.

I wasn’t referring to you Mark. That is just how I do things. There have been times when I was insistant on the permit because I didn’t want to take any chances. Most of the reasons for not getting a permit are time related. In some areas, with plan review and such, it can take a couple weeks to get one.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I’ve done a fair share of work without required permits. If I didn’t, I would have been out of business long ago. I don’t have a problem pulling permits. I’m licensed, bonded and insured. Unfortunately, some (a lot) of my clients have issues with getting permits. In 40+ years of contracting, we have been stopped twice and red tagged. Both times, I was a sub, so my name never came up with the gov’t agency. Both times, the owner knew the risks and both times it was a neighbor that complained. The agencies here are so understaffed there is no way they can send people out looking for violations.

This isn’t Kansas, here in Calif. The hoops you have to go through and the costs to pull a permit would have some of you pulling out your hair.

OK, shoot me. But remember I’m retired now.

No shooting from me, sometimes you have to do what the customer wants – if they are willing to risk not pulling a permit so be it. In the county I live in 90% of the areas I work in do not even have a building department let alone issue permits. The areas that do issue permits it a simple pay a fee and get your permit – quick and painless. When I work in a neighboring county that has a county-wide building department it is a little more involved but not much – I have pulled permits on whole-home remodels where I gutted the entire house and all I needed was a basic sketch on a piece of notebook paper. For home builds or additions you need a set of stamped drawings; the last addition I built I turned in a set of plans for review around 9 am and got a call shortly after lunch that I could come pick up my permit.

Probably quite a bit simpler than what you have to go through in Cali @redwood

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Just to clarify, when you pull a permit in the city you need all those as NJBuilder listed. They do come and inspect, and there are BIG fines if you continue to build without the tag signed off.

In the country…not so much.

Even when you do pull permits in the city, it sometimes depends on what it is, for my garage as an example, I had the first framing inspection done, the electrical inspection done (dude didn’t even look in the garage) and that’s it.

I still have the gas and final inspection notice tags hanging up in my garage… from 8 years ago :-)

Funny how he didn’t even look and just passes you. I do suppose out in the middle of no where you can do what you want lol.

redwood
    Pro

We did a 2 story 80,000 sq. ft. office building, from the ground up. Not once did the inspector go up to the 2nd floor.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 457 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.732 seconds