dcsimg

Permit Snitching – How do they really catch you?

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 457 total)
  • Author
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Building inspectors want to close files, not sit on open files for months or years. Stands to reason they are going to hassle the ones that linger. Give them a break and let them close those files that their bosses are shitting all over them about. Next time you have a job to do they will be more than happy to help. Just don’t wait a year to finish.

My BI license just expired because I havent filled seminar credits but 6 months is the grace period here with permits, unless there is a revision or extension.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So Dirty your scabbing on the licensed guys? I hope not.

Are licenses even required there? They literally do not exist here. Plumbers and electricians are the only guys who are licensed here.

Technically thats the same for us. We have a consumer fraud protection license with Community affairs division of NJ that requires a general liability insurance policy and no prior criminal behavior. Its a questionnaire with a fee the State call a license. Your grandmother can sell home improvement if she buys a cheap insurance policy.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So Dirty your scabbing on the licensed guys? I hope not.

Explain your self more?? A scab is a nonunion guy on a union job. Or a guy that crosses a union picket line. No I have never or will never cross a union picket line.
    I will do what every it takes to keep a roof over my family’s head.

Doobie

Building inspectors want to close files, not sit on open files for months or years. Stands to reason they are going to hassle the ones that linger. Give them a break and let them close those files that their bosses are shitting all over them about. Next time you have a job to do they will be more than happy to help. Just don’t wait a year to finish.

There is no building inspector involved with this. It is strictly a by-law officer. Fences don’t require permits here.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Permits are a 2 way street. Nobody likes to get them but on the other hand they prevent the “permanent” project that never seems to get finished. People shouldn’t have to live next door to an eyesore.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

Permits are a 2 way street. Nobody likes to get them but on the other hand they prevent the “permanent” project that never seems to get finished. People shouldn’t have to live next door to an eyesore.

Up until a month ago I’ve been living beside one for the last 16 years. Until I embarked on all this, my yard was always in a state of maintenance and repair. Theirs was never touched. They’d even go away for the summer some years and not open their pool and leave a green swamp beside me. I can’t say I’m ashamed of what I’m undertaking and how long it has unexpectedly taken.

When I lived in the Seattle area, there was a Snohomish County guy that would drive around on Saturday and Sunday looking for people doing work. He’d write down the address, then check on Monday morning. If there was no permit, then he’d nail them. Kind of a dick move IMO.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

When I lived in the Seattle area, there was a Snohomish County guy that would drive around on Saturday and Sunday looking for people doing work. He’d write down the address, then check on Monday morning. If there was no permit, then he’d nail them. Kind of a dick move IMO.

Yeah, kind of lol. Several years ago there was an inspector in this area that did the same thing – he busted a lot of non-permitted work.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

My shop went up without a permit. On advise from the inspector himself. Technically, I fixed the existing 12 x 12 shed and added an 8′ extension to it for which a permit is not required.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

My shop went up without a permit. On advise from the inspector himself. Technically, I fixed the existing 12 x 12 shed and added an 8′ extension to it for which a permit is not required.

That’s what I’m talking about. Sounds like a great kind of inspector to work with.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

That’s what I’m talking about. Sounds like a great kind of inspector to work with.

Yeah, the mobile home park is kind of the town’s “dirty little secret”, I think they try to ignore us for the most part. Every once in a while they come through and issue a bunch of paperwork to try and get the owner to conform to property standards by laws. He is the most complacent guy I have ever seen, nothing bothers him and he does not care at all. I think they are denying him permits now so he can’t put any more units in. Some are ready to fall over, and some are already gone due to town orders. He is accustomed to buying old units for around $5k, putting them in and then trying to sell them for $50k after doing a bare minimum of work. He doesn’t even completely clean up the property from the last one taken down in the process.

Cheap to live here though, and I just look after my place. I try to make what goes on in the rest of park none of my business. Though it does surprise me sometimes the way people choose to live and how they do things sometimes. Ever watch Trailer Park Boys? This is pretty close to the same park in some ways.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

Speaking to them where I live, they say they don’t do that and it’s all called in generated. I walk around my neighborhood and see all sorts of non-compliant stuff. Basically, I have bricks for my nearby neighbors.

We think we’ve figured out who the real culprit is as our most recent incident does not seem to maybe be the actual neighbor affected. It is the son of the other neighbor beside me on the other side of me. These incidents always seem to occur when he comes to visit from afar. It’s making more sense as we think about this more and more for a slew of reasons.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We think we’ve figured out who the real culprit is

I take it you don’t live with a HOA.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That worked out real nice JDO. Improving over building new.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

You know what, Im glad the inspectors are stepping it up and hope they enforce more. I used to think it was BS but you know Im tired of hacks and DIYERS doing more harm than simply saving some money.

A home is your property while your paying for it, when its sold its public property and the buyer needs protection from things not meeting the code or safety.

So towns are making people tear stuff down or redo at point of sale if there is no permit record of that deck or finished basement. And I let people know that. Even though you look out for the owner and provide the best advice you can offer they still gravitate to shortcuts to save money. At least this puts a shred of doubt on their mind.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

You know what, Im glad the inspectors are stepping it up and hope they enforce more. I used to think it was BS but you know Im tired of hacks and DIYERS doing more harm than simply saving some money.

A home is your property while your paying for it, when its sold its public property and the buyer needs protection from things not meeting the code or safety.

So towns are making people tear stuff down or redo at point of sale if there is no permit record of that deck or finished basement. And I let people know that. Even though you look out for the owner and provide the best advice you can offer they still gravitate to shortcuts to save money. At least this puts a shred of doubt on their mind.

There is a strange grey area too. Our town has lots of older homes, and used to not bother with code enforcement and permits. As such, its often hard to tell what work predates the arrival of permits. There is actually a market for the better quality old stuff, so the DIY crowd has a chance of claiming it was done 10-20 years ago, by some past owner, maybe with a contractor

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is a good point. I can see the reasoning behind checking the mods done to a home vs the record of the building permits for the address. Makes sense in a way.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

We think we’ve figured out who the real culprit is

I take it you don’t live with a HOA.

No we don’t.

I assume HOA stands for Home Owners Association?

Doobie

OLD THREAD WARNING!

We think we’ve figured out who the real culprit is…..

Now I’m 100% positive who is calling the town on me. It’s not one of the neighbor’s son(s) who live outside of Canada as I previously thought might have been as the actual neighbors themselves are adamant it is not them, it’s the old farts next door themselves and here’s the proof.

A few months ago, I had asked the inspector what was involved with making a few changes to the original design. One of those changes involved adding a window beside my front entrance door. He said to go ahead, and all that was involved was him signing off on it on the spot without me having to submit revised drawings.

Well, yesterday near the end of the day I finally cut out the sheathing where the new window was to go and within an hour had the Tyvek housewrap over it. Surprise! This morning I get a call from the inspector asking me about the window for which I remind him he OKd a few months back. He says OK, that’s fine and go ahead.

The only people who could have figured out and seen there wasn’t originally supposed to be a window there per the plans would be that neighbor on that shed side of my property. Proof they are the ones who have been snitching on me for this building and everything else over the years. It also tells me that they must have gone to the town and have copies of my plans in their possesion. The unequivocal truth finally rears its ugly head!!!

OLD THREAD WARNING!

We think we’ve figured out who the real culprit is…..

Now I’m 100% positive who is calling the town on me. It’s not one of the neighbor’s son(s) who live outside of Canada as I previously thought might have been as the actual neighbors themselves are adamant it is not them, it’s the old farts next door themselves and here’s the proof.

A few months ago, I had asked the inspector what was involved with making a few changes to the original design. One of those changes involved adding a window beside my front entrance door. He said to go ahead, and all that was involved was him signing off on it on the spot without me having to submit revised drawings.

Well, yesterday near the end of the day I finally cut out the sheathing where the new window was to go and within an hour had the Tyvek housewrap over it. Surprise! This morning I get a call from the inspector asking me about the window for which I remind him he OKd a few months back. He says OK, that’s fine and go ahead.

The only people who could have figured out and seen there wasn’t originally supposed to be a window there per the plans would be that neighbor on that shed side of my property. Proof they are the ones who have been snitching on me for this building and everything else over the years. It also tells me that they must have gone to the town and have copies of my plans in their possesion. The unequivocal truth finally rears its ugly head!!!

Stuff like that is how wars between neighbours start. I hope it doesnt escalate too far now that you have a culprit.

Wish people would mind their own business….

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 457 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.702 seconds