dcsimg

Permit Snitching – How do they really catch you?

Viewing 20 posts - 321 through 340 (of 457 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

These people were rude and had me pricing all kinds of stuff then I saw them doing the work on the sneak. Getting so tired of these people making us jump through hoops then going for a cheaper route after educating them.

That’s rotten on their part. Don’t blame you for calling it in.

Why fix up your backyard when you’re 80 something years old and one of you can barely walk?

Pride of ownership and it makes you feel good??? IDK that’s the first thing I came up with.

Yes age cannot be a reason to not keep your yard or house in good shape.

For sure, if you let your property go downhill, you will not get the full benefits of the highest price possible.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

These people were rude and had me pricing all kinds of stuff then I saw them doing the work on the sneak. Getting so tired of these people making us jump through hoops then going for a cheaper route after educating them.

That’s rotten on their part. Don’t blame you for calling it in.

Man, I’m glad I live in the neighbourhood that i’m in.
    Sure we have a few nosy ones but no one ever calls the city on anyone.

We have a few in their 80’s/90’s and they sometimes make the younger owners look bad by keeping their property looking immaculate.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@doobie, you mentioned that the fence was on the same side that their gutter drains were, you said you sent in pictures, by any chance did you see the fence that was not finished in those pictures? Maybe it wasn’t your neighbors, or like some other people say, now that they fixed up their back yard, they don’t want to see yours?

The town person told me it was a called in complaint when asked.

I think they may be doing it to get ready to sell actually. Why fix up your backyard when you’re 80 something years old and one of you can barely walk?

maybe they are getting ready to sell. you may have new neighbours soon.

Doobie

Man, I’m glad I live in the neighbourhood that i’m in.
    Sure we have a few nosy ones but no one ever calls the city on anyone.

Mine’s different. I met a nice fellow not long on the other team at my son’s baseball game. He said he lived in my neighborhood when he first moved to Ajax and moved out after a few years because the neighbors were all jerks. I totally understood the stories he was telling why. Bunch of old farts who think they own everything. Nobody is shhoing me away. My attitude is I will always try to work with people, but if you don’t like what I do on my property, F you.

Out of all the half dozen town visits in the past year and a bit which I’d never had in living here for 16 years, none have resulted in having to change anything I had done or was planning on doing. Only created delays and aggravation. They’re all bricks around me. Rock heads who should go ‘Rock Themselves’. (Am I bordering on censorship… hehehehe!)

We have a few in their 80’s/90’s and they sometimes make the younger owners look bad by keeping their property looking immaculate.

Funny enough, the ones who are complaining about the fence and had the sheethole backyard ever since I moved here are the latest complainers. The ones on the other side of me literally cut their lawn every day and go out there with tweezers practically to make themselves look so perfect.

What kinda kills me in all this is that I’m working to improve my property all the time and all the while keep it in good repair and maintenance. They don’t seem to care about any of that. All they like to do is stir the pot. They don’t appreciate that a DIYer takes longer than hiring pros.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

That’s gotta be frustrating, after all, you paid for the property and you pay the taxes. The only time property value would be an issue would be if your neighbor was selling right now, and even then i’m sure a rational conversation between you and your neighbor could reassure him that you are improving your property value, it just takes some time. I don’t understand the mentality of people who are so quick to run and tattle on people, especially people you live next to. Those same people with the perfect lawns are the ones dumping all kinds of toxins on there yards, but will be protesting everything that comes along. I like dogs much more than most people these days!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I actually called the town on a Homeowner this spring. I have only done one other time in 24 years. These people were rude and had me pricing all kinds of stuff then I saw them doing the work on the sneak. Getting so tired of these people making us jump through hoops then going for a cheaper route after educating them.

This is the best reason I see to charge for an estimate.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Funny enough, the ones who are complaining about the fence and had the sheethole backyard ever since I moved here are the latest complainers. The ones on the other side of me literally cut their lawn every day and go out there with tweezers practically to make themselves look so perfect.

Is there a reason why the fence has not been completed? you have the posts set, would it have gotten in the way of the shed build?
    Just trying to understand why the delay on the fence? I know I procrastinate on some jobs and it make one of my neighbours hair on the back of his neck stand up. LOL Sometimes I do it just to get a reaction but he will say right to me or my wife what he’s thinking.

— Glenn Botting

Doobie

Is there a reason why the fence has not been completed?

I worked on other priorities instead. Part of my problem was starting too many projects at once.

I know as soon as I finish building it right up against their old rusted fence which I offered to remove as I built mine but they refused, they will get the sucker neighbor accross the street over to take theirs down.

They suckered him in when he first moved here to basically be their free property manager for when they’re gone for 9-10 months of the year and to do things they can’t do themselves. They tried to get me in that role with their invites to use their pool when I was first moved here, but another neighbor tipped me off that all they do is have others babysit their property when they’re not here and the free use of their pool offer was a trap.

I remember fighting with my wife to not accept their invites to go swim in their pool. Later, she said she was glad that I stopped that sucker’s carrot from getting bitten on when she saw what they did with the next new guy who moved into the neighborhood. He’s been their sucker for well over ten years now.

He even ended up getting a snowblower from them for free in return for shovelling their driveway. Well the snowblower was an old POS and died almost immeditely after he got it and he still does their driveway to this day. I found out a few years ago that the blower actually belonged to the guy who owned my house, and he got it from his widow who sold and moved out of my house shortly after he died. Apparently it had been running like crap for years according to another neighbor.

These people are basically users of others.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I actually called the town on a Homeowner this spring. I have only done one other time in 24 years. These people were rude and had me pricing all kinds of stuff then I saw them doing the work on the sneak. Getting so tired of these people making us jump through hoops then going for a cheaper route after educating them.

I hear ya but…..that sunroom porch I did last month, the owner said they spoke to about 5 contractors and were not happy with their ideas or costs….then the wife corrected him and said more like 10 contractors.

The best referrals have been turning up fruitless way more often than should, this months kitchen was icing on the cake. Really pissed me off.

Im definitely irritated enough to stop doing design assistance without compensation but your general estimate I dont think there are enough action where you would be chasing away work.

Dirty what kind of fee do you propose? Under $100 closer to a few $100 or pending on the size of the estimate.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I agree Dirty, we spend the time estimating our time has to be worth something. Anybody ever see a doctor or dentist give a free estimate?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I worked on other priorities instead. Part of my problem was starting too many projects at once.

I know as soon as I finish building it right up against their old rusted fence which I offered to remove as I built mine but they refused, they will get the sucker neighbor accross the street over to take theirs down.

They suckered him in when he first moved here to basically be their free property manager for when they’re gone for 9-10 months of the year and to do things they can’t do themselves. They tried to get me in that role with their invites to use their pool when I was first moved here, but another neighbor tipped me off that all they do is have others babysit their property when they’re not here and the free use of their pool offer was a trap.

I remember fighting with my wife to not accept their invites to go swim in their pool. Later, she said she was glad that I stopped that sucker’s carrot from getting bitten on when she saw what they did with the next new guy who moved into the neighborhood. He’s been their sucker for well over ten years now.

He even ended up getting a snowblower from them for free in return for shovelling their driveway. Well the snowblower was an old POS and died almost immeditely after he got it and he still does their driveway to this day. I found out a few years ago that the blower actually belonged to the guy who owned my house, and he got it from his widow who sold and moved out of my house shortly after he died. Apparently it had been running like crap for years according to another neighbor.

Wow…that’s an exact description of one of my neighbors. We moved in 6 years ago and the previous owner was his whipping boy.

I wised up to his crap and decided I didn’t want to use his snowblower if I cleared his property too…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Good enough reason to stay clear of that neighbour.

I got one who had his neighbour “go in on a snowblower” I wanted no part of it as that led to problems when the one neighbour moved away.

I’d rather spend an hour out there with a shovel then give him the opportunity to say “well I did your driveway”.

— Glenn Botting

redwood
    Pro

You folks have me worried that I’m falling into a trap. My neighbor across the street has a very ambitious project going right now. A hillside deck and a couple of paver patios. I designed them, I provide the technical expertise and basically all the tools. In exchange, I get a couple of dinners a week and the painting of my signs and stuff. They are a younger couple in their thirties with 2 kids. He is a very hard worker, but basically clueless to construction. I meet with him everyday for a hour or so.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

to do things they can’t do themselves.

Maybe it’s a sign???

Dirty what kind of fee do you propose? Under $100 closer to a few $100 or pending on the size of the estimate.

Look I don’t have a Contractor’s License, I do union work and my work partner and I do work for referred people with a lot of money and don’t mind spending for a petter product.

I wised up to his crap and decided I didn’t want to use his snowblower if I cleared his property too…

We call it Aloha,, it’s way of life here.

You folks have me worried that I’m falling into a trap. My neighbor across the street has a very ambitious project going right now. A hillside deck and a couple of paver patios. I designed them, I provide the technical expertise and basically all the tools. In exchange, I get a couple of dinners a week and the painting of my signs and stuff. They are a younger couple in their thirties with 2 kids. He is a very hard worker, but basically clueless to construction. I meet with him everyday for a hour or so.

Very good RedWood!! Aloha Brudda,

Doobie

Where do you worry that’s looking to lead to Mark?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So Dirty your scabbing on the licensed guys? I hope not.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Kevin, in due respect, you may have said it all. Starting to many projects at once. It is tempting, and bet many of us understand, but wre not your neighbors

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Building inspectors want to close files, not sit on open files for months or years. Stands to reason they are going to hassle the ones that linger. Give them a break and let them close those files that their bosses are shitting all over them about. Next time you have a job to do they will be more than happy to help. Just don’t wait a year to finish.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

So Dirty your scabbing on the licensed guys? I hope not.

Are licenses even required there? They literally do not exist here. Plumbers and electricians are the only guys who are licensed here.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 321 through 340 (of 457 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.657 seconds