dcsimg

Permit Snitching – How do they really catch you?

Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 457 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

I do a lot of stuff here that by law needs a permit but I don’t get one. Here anything over 1000$ needs a permit. You really can’t do a lot for under a K.

You can’t put a light fixture up without a permit here.

Really ? is that because it is overhead ? I have never heard of that before .

No, probably because it draws current. You can’t add a receptical either. Not saying everyone pulls a permit for such a thing, but in theory, you are required to do so.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I do a lot of stuff here that by law needs a permit but I don’t get one. Here anything over 1000$ needs a permit. You really can’t do a lot for under a K.

You can’t put a light fixture up without a permit here.

Really ? is that because it is overhead ? I have never heard of that before .

No, probably because it draws current. You can’t add a receptical either. Not saying everyone pulls a permit for such a thing, but in theory, you are required to do so.

I don’t pull any permits unless they are outside my house where the building inspector can see them when he drives by 😉 He doesn’t seem to miss much .

Doobie

OLD THREAD WARNING.

Well, I just got a visit from the town. This is like the sixth time in the past year and a half. Now they are gripping about a fence I started last year that half of it was done and the rest is waiting as I got nailed for the shed I had to get a permit for which I’m still working on.

While I’l admit the posts have been getting to be an eyesore waiting for the rest of it to be built, it’s not like there is no fence at all as it is butted up against my neighbors rickety old plastic temp link fence which he refuses to remove. My neighbors are bricks!!!

They’re giving me 30 days to finish it without me applying for an extension. Another thing on my plate I don’t need right now. 🙁

OLD THREAD WARNING.

Well, I just got a visit from the town. This is like the sixth time in the past year and a half. Now they are gripping about a fence I started last year that half of it was done and the rest is waiting as I got nailed for the shed I had to get a permit for which I’m still working on.

While I’l admit the posts have been getting to be an eyesore waiting for the rest of it to be built, it’s not like there is no fence at all as it is butted up against my neighbors rickety old plastic temp link fence which he refuses to remove. My neighbors are bricks!!!

They’re giving me 30 days to finish it without me applying for an extension. Another thing on my plate I don’t need right now. 🙁

How detailed is the permit? Can you cheat and just put a couple of horizontal 2X4s from post to post to satisfy the official request? Would be ugly as hell, but thats sort of a bonus – and it lets you easily remove them as needed to properly complete each section

It can be a pain to deal with on your end Doobie but the town has a point. Most projects have a reasonable time limit. It is to protect your property values as well as others. When we build in our town you have 1 year to get the exterior finished. They are flexible if they see progress but you can’t just start a bunch of things and then let them sit. This isn’t for every area of my town but the nicer parts for sure. Sounds like you need to hire some help for a weekend to finish up some things.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

OLD THREAD WARNING.

How detailed is the permit? Can you cheat and just put a couple of horizontal 2X4s from post to post to satisfy the official request? Would be ugly as hell, but thats sort of a bonus – and it lets you easily remove them as needed to properly complete each section

If he’s already on their radar, it’s probably best not to antagonize them further lol.

Doobie

They are flexible if they see progress but you can’t just start a bunch of things and then let them sit.

That was my problem. I had a pier hole digger do over 100 holes all at once for five different projects that I planned on doing sequentially. I did the fence on one side as in order to drill the holes we had to tear down the old one, and the other side all the posts were planted and left there as there is already a fence there, so I went on to work on the shed, which I ended up getting nailed on for a permit and that delayed things even more.

It is what it is. I’m not overly worried. As long as you show progress and you are working on things, they don’t tend to get nasty and hit you with sticking rigidly to time lines when you are doing it as a homeowner. Or so I’m told. Fingers crossed on that!

I do believe part of the reason that people complain is jealousy. They can’t do, so they like to crap on others who can. I can, it just takes me longer than real pros by far.

There is no permit required at all for fences here, you simply have to adhere to allowable heights and locations as well as not make them climbable, although I see a fair amount of horizontal fencing, nobody but me seems to know they are not permitted so they don’t call about them and they get away with it. I’m not a brick and go and call the town every time I see someone doing it wrong or without a permit unless it in some way affects me.

A few weeks ago, my neighbor had a shed put up by one of those firms that just makes nothing but wooden sheds. I had to call the town to find out for sure what was right about the gutter drains as they directed them onto my property in a 100% fashion.

I told the town I didn’t want them to knock on my neighbors door as they are real old and instead told them I will send them pics and they could tell me if I was within my rights to ask the neighbor myself to get the firm they were dealing with back out to trim them back so the water drained onto his property. I was pretty sure you can’t drain off onto a neighbors property, I just wanted to make sure and get the town in the know but not get the town themselves to act against the neighbor unless my own attempts to get it rectified failed.

Well things kinda worked out funny. The guy that was supposed to handle the file was away on holidays til today actually from when I sent the pics in about two and half weeks ago. Late last week, the neighbor asks me whether I could cut the metal pipes from the gutter drains so that the water ended up in his garden. I had never even said a word to him about it. I gladly removed them and trimmed them for him and reinstalled them. Took less than half an hour. I then sent an email to the contact who took my call at the town and let her know that the problem has been resolved and to notify the fellow it had been forwarded to at the town to close the file and no further action was required on their part. Well guess who served me notice this morning on the fence. The contact girl at the town I had been dealing with in regards to my neighbors gutter drains which is on the same side as the unfinished fence. She hadn’t even connected the dots about the drain issue in dealing with me on the fence issue til I mentioned it to her.

I’m too nice of a guy. I had even been watering 2-3 times a day for a couple of weeks new grass laid where I saw that their garden hose out front couldn’t reach. And how many times have I called them or knocked on their door at 10 O’clock at nite to let them know they left either car windows down or their garage door wide open. Countless times in the 16 years I’ve lived here. I just can’t win with the people around me. But I know what’s really going on and I can sleep nites knowing better.

It is to protect your property values as well as others.

They even told me to my face that I am affecting their property values, meanwhile up until last month, their backyard was the most rundown one in this neck of the woods. One of the reasons I was making my fence a full privacy fence, was so I didn’t have to look at it any longer. Now it’s gorgeous after spending about $50K I’m guessing on it.

And when they were doing that work, it was me who came running into the backyard to tell them to stop digging with the power auger where I knew the electrical was buried. Their contractor tried to fluff me off until I showed 4 past locates where it clearly showed he was about to hit the electrical. He continued by hand, found the line, and then decided that their pergola was to be two feet shorter and refilled that hole. Did I call about him not doing locates? Of course not. But maybe I should have. I help my neighbors where I can, all they try to do is screw me over and give me a hard time.

Sorry, venting/ranting and mid-day break time over. Back to work!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

These projects need to be done over the weekend when no city people are working. So by Monday it looks beautiful. When you leave the eyesore there so long no wonder that nag on you.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It can be a pain to deal with on your end Doobie but the town has a point. Most projects have a reasonable time limit.

Gotta agree with you OA who wants to live next door to a bunch of half finished projects. Instead of starting a new project finish the old one first.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It can be a pain to deal with on your end Doobie but the town has a point. Most projects have a reasonable time limit.

Gotta agree with you OA who wants to live next door to a bunch of half finished projects. Instead of starting a new project finish the old one first.

I agree too, but the neighbour should be coming to talk to you before complaining to the city

I have good neighbours. We occasionally disagree, but we sort it out amongst ourselves. Helps that everyone wants to get along, and nobody wants to overly inconvenience each other. Also helps that we are all doing renovations these days, so we are understanding of the occasional sign of construction or noise

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

I’m not sure how they catch you but they do, a couple years after i moved into my house i decided to close in my carport. I had it framed and sheeted with osb, came home frim work to find a notice stapled ti my wall to stop work and obtain a permit. In retrospect, was probably a good thing, since i had solidly framed 2×6 directly down to the concrete slab. The inspector pointed out that the slab was free to heave with frost, and my framing could lift the existing deck and roof over the carport. I had to shorten my framing to allow room for movement, and once i did that was able to carry on construction with a permit.
    Doobie, that must be frustrating to be so helpful towards your neighbors, and not have the same courtesy returned. i’ve been lucky with neighbors over the years. I’ve always believed that you payed for your priperty, i payed for mine, therefor you do what you want on yours, as will i. I’ve put up with a few inconveniences over the years from them, and they have from me, but never any formal complaints from either side, like i said, lucky i guess. Too many people want to control their entire neighborhoods.

Think time is what kills ya. If they start saying they arn’t happy, it is time to make them happy now, or it is real hard to make them happy latter

I guess I have always been fortunate to have awesome neighbors. I can’t understand not at least being abke to talk to them about an issue. People suck sometimes though.

@Doobie
    you said their yard was bad for a long time but now isn’t. They might have realized that and fixed theirs and just want the same from you? I don’t know…hard to know what people think sometimes.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I guess I have always been fortunate to have awesome neighbors. I can’t understand not at least being abke to talk to them about an issue. People suck sometimes though.

@doobie you said their yard was bad for a long time but now isn’t. They might have realized that and fixed theirs and just want the same from you? I don’t know…hard to know what people think sometimes.

Some one may have called on them and they are pissed at the world?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@doobie you said their yard was bad for a long time but now isn’t. They might have realized that and fixed theirs and just want the same from you? I don’t know…hard to know what people think sometimes.

Some one may have called on them and they are pissed at the world?

lol that sounds like my street, one guy called one another guy. He thinks its another guy and calls on them. So one of my neighbours now has to store more of his stuff in a new shed, another one had to take apart his plane and store it under cover and another one got called for fire alarms or something. Its just never ending.

@Doobie, you mentioned that the fence was on the same side that their gutter drains were, you said you sent in pictures, by any chance did you see the fence that was not finished in those pictures? Maybe it wasn’t your neighbors, or like some other people say, now that they fixed up their back yard, they don’t want to see yours?

Time to plan what is most important to get done first.
    Or can you get any friends to help out.

Doobie

@doobie, you mentioned that the fence was on the same side that their gutter drains were, you said you sent in pictures, by any chance did you see the fence that was not finished in those pictures? Maybe it wasn’t your neighbors, or like some other people say, now that they fixed up their back yard, they don’t want to see yours?

The town person told me it was a called in complaint when asked.

I think they may be doing it to get ready to sell actually. Why fix up your backyard when you’re 80 something years old and one of you can barely walk?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Why fix up your backyard when you’re 80 something years old and one of you can barely walk?

Pride of ownership and it makes you feel good??? IDK that’s the first thing I came up with.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Gotta find the time to wrap it up Doobie, when you have the work you never have the time. When you have the time you dont have the extra money.:(

Good Luck.

I actually called the town on a Homeowner this spring. I have only done one other time in 24 years. These people were rude and had me pricing all kinds of stuff then I saw them doing the work on the sneak. Getting so tired of these people making us jump through hoops then going for a cheaper route after educating them.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Why fix up your backyard when you’re 80 something years old and one of you can barely walk?

Pride of ownership and it makes you feel good??? IDK that’s the first thing I came up with.

Yes age cannot be a reason to not keep your yard or house in good shape.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 457 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.840 seconds