dcsimg

Peeling house paint

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have a house built in 1958 and it has redwood lap siding.
    One day I noticed some brown streaks coming from between the laps.
    Then the next year In certain areas the paint started bubbling up and pealing off. It is coming off all the way to bare wood. I scraped off all I could and was very careful to get everything I could off.
    The next day after painting new spots are blistered! Again down to bare wood. The blisters seem to come and go too. I can see one in the day and come evening its shrunk back down. The wood is always bone dry under the blisters. The places I get the old paint off of are holding up fine. Any help is appreciated !

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

Putting latex over oil without priming?

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Its all latex. when the paint comes off it is to bare wood.
    I know the rule about putting latex over oil.
    I also have good attic ventilation.

Its all latex. when the paint comes off it is to bare wood.
    I know the rule about putting latex over oil.
    I also have good attic ventilation.

Could the walls be insulated to much? Never dealt with redwood around here. Was the wood washed and allowed ample drying time before painting?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It sound like a moisture issue to me also.

I few years back I painted an apartment I lived in and had an area that did this same thing. Come to find out there was a nasty water leak and zero insulation (winter time) in that area. The paint never really dried and kind of bubbled up.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

It sound like a moisture issue to me also.

I few years back I painted an apartment I lived in and had an area that did this same thing. Come to find out there was a nasty water leak and zero insulation (winter time) in that area. The paint never really dried and kind of bubbled up.

This was my first thought too but he said the patch was bone dry.

moisture is usually the problem when it comes to paint peeling. But the patches were bone dry.

Is it possible to have water coming in from above somewhere? You said it had brown streaks, which sounds like it might be leaking out of the wood.

Edit: reread the OP. You’ve most likely got a leak somewhere. Moisture in the walls pushing out.

Patches are surface, could dry very fast.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Are the blister spots limited to a certain area or or they all over the house?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Could this be a material problem . What side of the house does it happen on in connection with the sun / shade .

Always willing to learn .

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

It started on both sides of my fireplace and about 25 feet down on the front of the house which is the north side. Now it is also doing it on the back side too. I do have quite a bit of shade. I also notice the bubbles swell up in the sun and shrink back down in the evening. Its like the house is breathing!
    I was kinda wondering if it had anything to do with me putting in a new energy efficient furnace ? The furnace had a humidifier on it and I took it out. The puzzling part to me is like I said everything is total dry. I would think if it was the paint I used it would just be that layer of paint peeling. It is coming off to bare wood. Also the places where the paint peeled off and I painted are holding up great. I can’t imagine stripping the whole house.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Starting on both sides of the fireplace sounds like a moisture issue – water run off around the chimney or even a small leak around the chimney. The fact that the bubbles swell up in the sun and shrink at night makes me think that moisture is the issue. The bubbles swell in the sun because the heat is drawing the moisture out of the siding. Before I got too involved in scraping paint and re-painting I would look to find the cause of the moisture.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Do you think that humidifier could have done it? I think the guy had it set for to much humidity the first year . I had ice on my windows and it didn’t seem to be working right so I took it out. Now…… why would the places that have peeled and been repainted be holding up?

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

If the humidifier was set so high that you had ice forming on your windows it is possible that was the culprit. The places that have peeled and been repainted could have dried out enough to not bubble again. Do you have access to a moisture meter? I would be interested in seeing what the moisture content of the redwood siding is in the areas that bubble. If you do not have one HD sells a Ryobi moisture meter that connects to your smart phone for about $30.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

That’s a good idea Chad. I saw harbor freight had one cheap. I will do that. I know that I don’t have any leaks anywhere. I really don’t want to put vinyl siding on the house. I also don’t want to make a mistake of trapping moisture if that’s what it is.
    Maybe the humidifier was the problem and now I just have to repair the damage it caused.

If the humidifier was set so high that you had ice forming on your windows it is possible that was the culprit. The places that have peeled and been repainted could have dried out enough to not bubble again. Do you have access to a moisture meter? I would be interested in seeing what the moisture content of the redwood siding is in the areas that bubble. If you do not have one HD sells a Ryobi moisture meter that connects to your smart phone for about $30.

That’s a good place to start with the moisture Meter . Really see what the wood is at .

Always willing to learn .

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

I haven’t worked with redwood in this area, but because the house was built in the 50’s it probably has older oil based paint under multiple layers of latex. The house is basically sealed tight instead of allowing the siding to breathe naturally. The fix could be as simple as installing siding shims under the laps to allow airflow behind the siding. Try it out on a section and see if this does the trick.

Zinsser makes a product call Peel Stop that I have not used but it gets good reviews online for issues such as this.

Cheers,

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Interesting. I’m Going to get a moisture meter and check that out.
    From what I see its the original paint that has failed. Where the bubbling happens the paint comes off to bare wood. I was looking at the rest of the house and its doing it all over now. Could it be that the original paint is just failing? Everywhere that was scraped of and repainted is holding fine. Its really looking like all the paint needs to come off to me.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

looking like all the paint needs to come off to me.

That will be a pain for sure.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Alot of house that have blown in insulation tend to be a problem since it traps moisture then bubbles off the paint when it tries to dry.

I would also investigate the roof/chimney for leaks. Maybe a small leak.

I believe you can pry openor loose a few siding planks to help dry out.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

The walls have rolled fiberglass insulation. I blew in insulation in the attic when I bought the house 10 yrs. ago .
    There are no leaks anywhere.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.549 seconds