dcsimg

Pavers on raised Deck – Silca Systems.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

I’ve been eyeing this product for some time now and even had them send me a sample grate. At this point, I am sold on this, but wanted to run it by the pros here to get whatever feedback I can get from this community.

Silca Systems.

http://www.silcasystem.com/

This is a stone to wood installation system for applying pavers/stone to a wooden deck structure that is specifically built with 16″ OC joists. You really need 6X6 posts spaced likely no more 5-6′ apart and maybe even triple beams to do this likely. You can go with 2X8″ joists, but I’m planning on going 2X10″ especially if we go with a thick paver/stone for the top. Silca says you can use 1 to 3 inch stone or pavers.

Silca grates in the US sell for 11.50 USD each, and the best price I found here in Canada is $14.50 CDA. Not bad imo. Each grate covers 2 square feet and requires six 3 inch long screws.

You can install the stone/pavers overtop loose, or by laying landscape fabric underneath (overtop of the Silca grates) and brushing in between the joints polymeric sand in between which will lock them up together.

I’m thinking of looking at topping the joist with Vycor membrane as well to prolong the life of the substructure. Is that worth it?

This product is new to Canada, and I did order and had shipped one of the 4 lb honeycomb Silca grates to me last year for further determination as to whether we are going to commit to this rather than the Ipe deck surface we had planned or a combination of both for a more dramatic look.

My 12″ piers with 6in saddles were put in last year with what at the time I thought was overkill spacing 5 or so feet apart anticipating using Ipe, but now I see it as being adequate for pavers instead now and my substructure is waiting to be built with 2X10’s instead of the originally planned 2X8’s.

My wife and I will make a final decision soon, but really with stone or pavers, the possibilities in design are endless and the maintenance is non-existant. That really appeals to me, especially with this deck being around an above ground pool. And no splinters!

Any and all input/feedback welcome.

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

I’ve seen one system that uses a grid system and composite brick pavers. I’ll try to find the manufacturer

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

azek deck pavers

redwood
    Pro

Looks like a pretty slick system. I’m assuming since you are asking opinions, those pics are not your project.

We’ve done some elevated stone decks, pretty easy, but the stone is expensive.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That must be pretty new , I have never seen it before but it looks like a pretty cool product .

Doobie

That must be pretty new , I have never seen it before but it looks like a pretty cool product .

It is fairly new to Canada. Maybe the last couple of years. They only started selling them thru distributors up here since last year. Before that, you had to have it shipped direct from the US. I would maybe need almost 2 pallets of them if I did my whole deck out of them and at 4lbs per unit, the shipping would have been brutal from the US likely.

azek deck pavers

Staying away from Azek now for any kind of decking purposes based on info I found about how they have been failing and there is litigation pending in the US as a result. I was such a fan of them over other man-made deck materials. Too afraid of them based now upon finding out on this very forum about the litigation issue.

I’ve seen one system that uses a grid system and composite brick pavers. I’ll try to find the manufacturer

Please do! I would be most interested.

In fact, that is one of the reasons I posted up this thread. To see if there are other similar systems out there and whether there is any negative or positive experiences with this product. There’s very scant info on the net about the Silca Sytem in that regard.

I’m assuming since you are asking opinions, those pics are not your project.

No, those pics I copied from their gallery page on the Silca site. I have not started the deck other than all my piers are in place with saddles ready to go.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I’m interested in seeing this one play out.
    When I was landscaping I remember reading about this very system and was intrigued by it… Looking forward to all the responses to this thread.
    Subscribed!

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

@Doobie, I have seen them do a system like that on the TV show with Paul LaFrance , think it was called Decked out. Him and his crew built the deck structure, and the guy he uses for his paving stones finished if off.
    It looked good. I really don’t remember the episode. Maybe you can get information from the site.

Doobie

@Doobie, I have seen them do a system like that on the TV show with Paul LaFrance , think it was called Decked out. Him and his crew built the deck structure, and the guy he uses for his paving stones finished if off.
    It looked good. I really don’t remember the episode. Maybe you can get information from the site.

I did see an episode with him using it although like much of his episodes, he doesn’t tell you much about technique and procedure and mostly they focus on drama content.

Real how-to shows are few and far between nowadays.

I miss Norm! 🙁

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

What’s the span between beams? It sounds like a good system but the 16″ oc would make me really careful of the span. Also what’s the height above grade you are working with?

Putting Vycor on the joists is easy insurance. I do it in place so I can plane the joists after we install blocking. It’s a little more monkeying around but it’s not too bad. I rip down wider rolls into 2″ strips. Make sure you put it on top of those beams too.

Doobie

What’s the span between beams?

Five feet.

Also what’s the height above grade you are working with?

Three and a half to four feet.

Putting Vycor on the joists is easy insurance. I do it in place so I can plane the joists after we install blocking.

That was one of the reasons I was thinking of it as well.

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

At 5′ between beams you’re probably fine with 2×8. Even if you use a 2″ paver you’re still only adding 35lbs per foot. That’s 25lbs more than the standard 10 but at 10lbs dead/ 40lbs live load 2×8’s are rated up to 13′. I don’t shoot for the minimum but I think you’re way past that.

Check a load calculator.

We made our own system using steel pan over our steel frame. Worked great and the customers love it.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Staying away from Azek now for any kind of decking purposes based on info I found about how they have been failing and there is litigation pending in the US as a result. I was such a fan of them over other man-made deck materials. Too afraid of them based now upon finding out on this very forum about the litigation issue.

Any idea if these pavers are made of the same material as the decking involved in the lawsuits?

I miss Norm!

I miss Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

sergey061478
    Blocked

this stuff is pretty cool. i have not seen this before. But, it does look good.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We made our own system using steel pan over our steel frame. Worked great and the customers love it.

That looks good. Man that’s a lot of weight on there.

Attachments:
    Doobie

At 5′ between beams you’re probably fine with 2×8. Even if you use a 2″ paver you’re still only adding 35lbs per foot. That’s 25lbs more than the standard 10 but at 10lbs dead/ 40lbs live load 2×8’s are rated up to 13′. I don’t shoot for the minimum but I think you’re way past that.

Check a load calculator.

I’ve been told I’m “Mr Overkill”, but despite that, even talking to the people at Silca last year, they somewhat adivised that 2′
    X10′ is what they recommend if otherwise possible.

Any idea if these pavers are made of the same material as the decking involved in the lawsuits?

Absolutely no relationship at all. (I assume you were asking about the honeycomb Silca grates and not any possible paver over top of.)

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

jponto07 wrote:
    Absolutely no relationship at all. (I assume you were asking about the honeycomb Silca grates and not any possible paver over top of.)

Yes, sorry. I meant the actual Azek product of course.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

Never seen that method. What is steel pan?

Never seen that method. What is steel pan?

Steel pan is often used in commercial floors, they frame the floor system up and sheet with pan before pouring concrete. We could have easily done a poured concrete slab on this too.

Robert Shaw -Colorado Deck and Framing
    www.mysteeldeck.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.298 seconds