dcsimg

Pavers for retaining wall

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Pavers
    Pro

Hello, I’m a homeowner and would like some feedback as far as if anyone has experienced the same thing. I’m seeing some dirt in between the pavers. I spoke with the contractor and he says that’s normal and that there is gravel behind the wall.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I can’t see the connection between the dirt, pavers and the wall?
    Could you be more explicit? And better pictures.

We used this PermaSand to fill in the small spaces between our pavers. We also have a metal edging pounded in as a border to prevent migration of the pavers. Water will otherwise get in between and you will have movement. We also sealed the pavers. I hope this helps.

Hello, I’m a homeowner and would like some feedback as far as if anyone has experienced the same thing. I’m seeing some dirt in between the pavers. I spoke with the contractor and he says that’s normal and that there is gravel behind the wall.

Hi , welcome to BTP
    I assume you are talking about the retaining wall ? How high is it
    The person or landscaping company should have used landscaping fabric against the inside of the retaining wall prior to backfilling with gravel and then earth
    If they didn’t , I could see eventually earth sipping threw the gravel (also depends on how much gravel they used

Good luck with that
    Hopefully you can get it solved , hope you come back with answers to the questions.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We used this PermaSand to fill in the small spaces between our pavers.

Pavers are usually set on level sand with sand in between then.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Are the pavers shifting? Are there borders preventing the pavers from drifting? Did they vibrate sand into the seams when setting the pavers?

Doobie

Hi , welcome to BTP
    The person or landscaping company should have used landscaping fabric against the inside of the retaining wall prior to backfilling with gravel and then earth
    If they didn’t , I could see eventually earth sipping threw the gravel (also depends on how much gravel they used

Good luck with that
    Hopefully you can get it solved , hope you come back with answers to the questions.

Not only is the landscape fabric likely not there, but there may have been no draining ability in the build as well.

Hi , welcome to BTP

Good luck with that

Not only is the landscape fabric likely not there, but there may have been no draining ability in the build as well.

Yes I’m still not sure if he’s talking about retaining wall or pavers
    Slightly different installing technique
    Definitely would not use pavers for a retaining wall 🤔
    Hopefully he checks in and gets better pictures
    The topic header said pavers for retaining wall

CB
    Pro

Substitute the word “Blocks” in lieu of “Pavers”, and then the OP’s concern will become more clear.

Re-examine the OP’s second image (# 1015), and mentally rotate that image 90 degrees clockwise, to gain a better understanding of the OP’s concern.

That image has both pavers and blocks, but the image is misoriented as posted, rendering the blocks to appear as if on the “ground”, and the pavers to appear as if a “wall”. The drainage grate on the part that could be errantly misidentified as a “wall”, but is actually the patio floor, instantly clarifies the mis-orientation of the photo.

I’m guessing that what the OP was trying to illustrate with the photo is the seam of dirt infiltration developing at the transition between the floor and the wall, with the concern being that water is transporting grains of soil through the seams between the block, and the particles are gravity sheeting down the wall and collecting at the lowest point… where the blocks meet the pavers.

The other photos are illustrative of the cavitation in the imaginary “grout lines” between the blocks, were gaps appear to reveal erosion of soil particles.

Without seeing what measures were taken both prior to and as the wall was being built, it is difficult to assess whether or not the contractor did a sufficient job building the retaining wall out of the blocks shown.

Kevin (Doobie) brought up an excellent and salient point concerning drainage. A retaining wall has to have a way to relieve the pressure that rain water saturated soil puts on a man made retaining wall.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

Pavers
    Pro

Ok, yes I see now that the photos are rotated. Wasn’t sure how to fix that. This is a retaining wall. The contractor swears that he put crushed rock and landscape fabric behind it, but then how am I still getting run off soil in between the pavers, which you can clearly see from the photos. I mean it should withstand a heavy rain, no? He said he’d seal it, but somehow I don’t think that would solve the problem. I though of digging up some dirt behind the wall just to see if he’s being honest with me.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would say the the question is, did he use a “clean” crushed rock or one with fines behind the wall. If there is good drainage, dirt should never come out through the face of the wall.

Also, Is there a tile behind the wall or some way for the water to escape once it reaches the bottom of the wall. From what I can see in the photo’s, it looks like most of the problem is at the bottom of the wall.

Doobie

Ok, yes I see now that the photos are rotated. Wasn’t sure how to fix that. This is a retaining wall. The contractor swears that he put crushed rock and landscape fabric behind it, but then how am I still getting run off soil in between the pavers, which you can clearly see from the photos. I mean it should withstand a heavy rain, no? He said he’d seal it, but somehow I don’t think that would solve the problem. I though of digging up some dirt behind the wall just to see if he’s being honest with me.

Dig up an area and find out. He may be BS-ing you.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

A retaining wall should be backfilled with #3 drain rock, and have filter fabric both against the wall, and wrapping over the top of, and down the far side of, the drain rock.

The wall should have perforated pipe laid along the bottom.

And the pipe should be sloped to the ends of the wall, so the water can drain out. And there needs to be a place for the water to run to.

Hydro-static head can be considerable in a retaining wall, even causing them to topple. It’s imperative to allow the water to drain.

Just lining the inside of the wall with fabric is not sufficient. The drain rock will very quickly fill with fines, and cease to function properly.

Sealing the outside of the wall will do nothing to fix that.

Goin' Down In Flames........

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Just saw someone looking for a wall repair . Appears they had lots of gravel.

Attachments:

So any news on the retaining wall or pavers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.454 seconds