dcsimg

paver question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Howdy. Long time no post. Busy summer here!

Anyways, I started that paver project I posted about earlier this year. Got working prepping the subgrade today and started compacting it. Went to compact near the house and the jumping jack just dug itself a hole. It seems like the old backfill never compacted well.

Its an old house(1910-1920 era), the native soil is a hard clay, and the backfill is a mix of that and fine slag. What I’m wondering is if I need to excavate to undisturbed soil, and fill with abc stone and compact, or will a thicker base make up for the less than ideal soil.

The paver base is going to be about 10″ thick because of the way the yard is graded. 10″ is well over the recommended 6″ for non-automotive use for paving stones.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This sounds more like a moisture issue than a soils issue. In a home of that vintage there should be little settling to remain if the soils around the foundation have not been disturbed in a hundred years. I typically see the jumping jack bury itself in wet soils.

I would think that over excavating the area a foot or so and compacting in some coarse stone then installing your base course would firm up the area.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Thanks Kurt.

The area in question was under an old poorly built covered porch/addition that was built in the 50’s The guys who built it just set the first course of block directly on grade! I wish I had some pictures of how bad it settled.

The worst of the area is right near a downspout and we have had some serious rain here this month. So maybe it is moisture. When you say over excavate a foot, you mean a foot below sub grade?

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

Was it just one little area that compacted like that or a whole section? 10″ is a good bed, especially if there aren’t any point loads in the design.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Was it just one little area that compacted like that or a whole section? 10″ is a good bed, especially if there aren’t any point loads in the design.

The area by the downspout was the worst of it. Most of it compacted pretty uniformly. Some area are kind of bouncy still though. I’m assuming that’s just from wet soil conditions though.

the only point load will be for a trex stair case leading up to the landing for the entry door. But that won’t be above the soft spot.

Last paver job I did on wet soil . I made the base 12″ deep with stone down to hard soil . The yard hard bad drainage from neighboring homes run off into there’s .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.264 seconds