dcsimg

Pass me down tips from the Old Schoolers

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I am now working with 2 apprentices every day and both are eager to learn. I is funny some of the stuff they can pull off and it really test my patience I enjoy teaching those that want to work and like learning. The young guy is only a 40%er and tries but the other lady is a 90%er and really tries hard and takes it bad when she messes up. I try to tell to not let it bother her and life will go on!

Good for you to pass it on to the next gen coming up. I’m sure you’ll teach them well. 👍

That is great, having someone eager to learn is important for this industry. Having a good teacher is just as important. Our industry needs more of this.

apprentices

Aprentiship’s aren’t dead!!! What is a 40% and a 90%? Please elaborate on these percentage based descriptions of these apprentices.

If I’m not mistaken it means one of them only gives 40% effort at work and the other 90%. Its a way to quantify how hard someone works.

% of what though? % of what their capable of with their current knowledge and athletic ability, or % of what the average new apprentice is capable of, or maybe something else. Percentage’s and statistics are usually pretty misleading without context.

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

apprentices

Aprentiship’s aren’t dead!!! What is a 40% and a 90%? Please elaborate on these percentage based descriptions of these apprentices.

Here in Hawaii when you join local 745 the Carpenters Union they start you out at 40%. That means you make 40% of what a journeyman makes. I was mistaken she is a 80%er not 90% so she makes 80 % of what I do. It’s a 4 year apprenticeship program here and it’s school every Saturday and maybe some other days. I don’t know I didn’t go through the program.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

It has been awhile since I have worked with some old timers. I remember when I use go cut firewood with my Grandfather. He would always say you should never go to the woods with a axe & a chain. I remember a buddies dad use to say take $20 bill and tuck it away in wallet some where. You will have it when you need it. This when there was no debit or visa cards.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I remember a buddies dad use to say take $20 bill and tuck it away in wallet some where. You will have it when you need it. This when there was no debit or visa cards.

I don’t use debit or visa cards but I do keep a few hundreds tucked away in my wallet.

Clev08
    Pro

I remember a buddies dad use to say take $20 bill and tuck it away in wallet some where. You will have it when you need it. This when there was no debit or visa cards.

I don’t use debit or visa cards but I do keep a few hundreds tucked away in my wallet.

I thought you were going to say you write checks. One of the old times i used to work with would write checks for everything, if a restaurant didn’t take them he didn’t eat their.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

If you’re cut guy for an installer, always be a few steps ahead. Have a pile of runners read to go. Cut the appropriate angles/bevels on some pieces for starters/enders. Watch the installer, what piece does he need next, what piece after that? Pass it up the right direction. The guy in the lift shouldn’t have to rotate an 18 ft piece because you passed it up backwards.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Good one BC ,, also learn to gang cut when ever possible.

Heard this one from a Hawaiian uncle that works as an Engineer. “I know you already know how fo do dis ting – but listen to how I do it, after I walk away you can do em howeva you like if it works, if no work you can use the way I show you.” I’m adopting that piece of advice into my overall mentality.

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If you’re cut guy for an installer, always be a few steps ahead. Have a pile of runners read to go. Cut the appropriate angles/bevels on some pieces for starters/enders. Watch the installer, what piece does he need next, what piece after that? Pass it up the right direction. The guy in the lift shouldn’t have to rotate an 18 ft piece because you passed it up backwards.

That is the biggest thing I can say about a lot of vut guys. They do not look ahead and cut ahead when they have a little slack time. by paying a little attention they can see repetitive cuts and have pieces ready. Also, as the installer, tack the piece in so it is secure then give the next measurement so the cut guy can be cutting it as they finish nailing or screwing off the piece.

As an installer if you are using a crane or forklift to set something and have more to set, unhook the piece you are working on as soon as it is safe to sent the forklift or crane back for the next one.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I had a laborer that could ‘read my mind’. He knew everything I needed before I did. It didn’t take long for us to be friends. How long do you think it was before I helped him join the apprentice program and start building his career? The guy was sharp.
    We should give it all we have … or go home!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I had a laborer that could ‘read my mind’. He knew everything I needed before I did. It didn’t take long for us to be friends. How long do you think it was before I helped him join the apprentice program and start building his career? The guy was sharp.
    We should give it all we have … or go home!

He sounded like a good one. I have run across one like that on years.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.338 seconds