dcsimg

Pass me down tips from the Old Schoolers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Pass me down tips from the Old Schoolers. Most of the best things I’ve learned come from the older guys,,,,and gals I’ve worked with.
    I think one of the best things I’ve learned from the old schoolers is the use of my eyeball. I have learned how to use it to it’s fullest extent and now trust it as the straightest thing on the jobsite.
    Please feel free to post up your best tips you’ve learned from others!

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Always take the occasional step back and look at your work.

Know the dimensions of your tools – for example, a carpenters pencil is 1/2″ x 1/4″.

If you don’t have something to do – clean up.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Good ones Chad

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

If you don’t have something to do – clean up.

Amen. Some people just don’t think about it.

msw1978
    Pro
    Vienna, MO

Take care of your tools and they will take care of you.

Don’t rush a job, do it right the first time.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

If you didn’t have time to do it right the first time when are going to have time to do it the second?

Anonymous
    Inactive

One that comes to mind is when I said ‘this project will be easy, I’ve got it all figured out already’, and the ole guy told me, ‘There are always surprises that you don’t see yet’….and yeah, He was right. any of the things I build there are always the tiny little details that I wasn’t ready for and have to figure out……..But I’ve never been stumped 🙂 …yet

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Keep a clean jobsite for safety and efficient materials use.

There is always the oft used “Measure twice, cut once” saying.

He was right. any of the things I build there are always the tiny little details

So very true Boyd.

I’ve been told to buy quality tools the first time to not end up paying more for cheaper tools more than enough to get the point.

Of course, there are certain tools you use less that can be cheapies and there comes a point at which “nice” can go into extremes into “really fancy nice just ‘cuz” – but the point still remains.

Buy nice(r). Buy once.

John S

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Some good tips I was given

How to keep chisels, planes, and saws sharp.

The loop and twist method of attaching a string line – I will try to take some pics later and post them. It’s basically loop the string around your finger, twist it about a dozen times, hook it on your nail, take out the slack, and pull the running end back towards the nail to lock the string line.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

When you are on a jobsite always knot your cords together so they aren,t always pulling out.
    Always work forward never backwards or you may end up walking off a second floor or down a stairwell 🙂

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Here are some pictures of the loop and twist string. It was a little tough doing the string with one hand while I was taking the pics.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Here are some pictures of the loop and twist string. It was a little tough doing the string with one hand while I was taking the pics.
    <P></P>
    <P></P>

That is a good method of straightening long walls, fascia , hips and valleys

Attachments:
    ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

That is a good method of straightening long walls, fascia , hips and valleys

Yeah, there is quite a bit that you can accomplish with a simple piece of string.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

My old timer I learned a lot from was my gramps. He always checked spark plugs with his finger. He’d just pop of the wire and give it a touch. The key was to grab someone else first or you got the shock.

You rarely went around grandpa with an engine running and the hood open…

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I string my hips when I cut them on the ground, this way when they’re put&nailed in place the guy can just nail up the truss jack parts and see when it’s all straight.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

When you are on a jobsite always knot your cords together so they aren,t always pulling out.<br>
    Always work forward never backwards or you may end up walking off a second floor or down a stairwell :-)

Good one John. I had a old fart tell me once and it really stuck!!!”You’re One Step From Living In A Wheel Chair For the Rest Of Your Life” Man did that ever resonate!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Great tips so far.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

When cutting plates, keep a list of short pieces you need acd cut them while the board is in the horses. It is easier ti cut a 30 inch piece from a 12 footer than to recut the shorter piece. All pieces you cant use, write the length on them for easy selection later.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.597 seconds