dcsimg

Palm Nailers

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I use them often in silly tight spots

And that is where they are worth gold. When you don’t have room to swing a hammer or use a nail gun.

Exactly and I’m running into a lot of those spots lately

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

And that is where they are worth gold. When you don’t have room to swing a hammer or use a nail gun.

Oh yes the tight nailing spots. Gotta have the palm nailer.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

Oh yes the tight nailing spots. Gotta have the palm nailer.

If not I’d be really screwed

Brutus
    Pro
    Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

I bought the little Grip Rite palm nailer for 30$ at home depot around Christmas. Little thing is a beast. Company I work for doesn’t do much framing, but we had about 60 hangers to put on. Labourer loved me when I showed up with that thing on hanger day

Carpenter-Hockey Fan-Cheap Beer Connoisseur

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

I use for hangers and tight spots.
    Better on the ole’ elbows
    not for the ole’ ears though

I use my palm nailer quite often. Sees a lot of use on all my decks.

Like NJ, I need to get a PP gun!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I use for hangers and tight spots.<br>
    Better on the ole’ elbows<br>

I like the earphones for that tool.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I use for hangers and tight spots.<br><br>
    Better on the ole’ elbows<br><br>

I like the earphones for that tool.

Same. I put my ear buds in, crank up the tunes and go crazy with the palm nailer.

CB
    Spectator

Resurrecting an old thread, to help keep all related info in one basket for future searchers…

I’m looking for recommendations on a new full size palm nailer.

The one I’ve had for the last 30 years finally won’t work anymore. At first it was stuck passing air with no beat, so I took it apart and reassembled it. Must have done something right because now it won’t stop beating. Obviously not right enough. It is a no name brand palm nailer I picked up at Post Tool, back in the mid ’80’s when Post Tool was the hottest, newest, coolest place to buy tools ever. (Gone now). So no manufacture name, no user manual, no instructions, no parts.

Time for a new one. I already have a Hitachi Mini (NH90AB). It’s great. I use it all the time. When remodeling around existing obstructions, palm nailers are useful where PP nailers won’t fit. But I miss the power of my full sized palm nailer, and more importantly, miss the diameter opening of the collar around the hammer piston. I made an extension that has a socket head on the opposite end, and can’t fit the extension inside the collar of the mini palm nailer.

In shopping for a full size palm nailer, I suddenly became reminded about why I don’t like the majority of tool review websites. Most of them are click bait, written by stay at homes who live off of the ad revenue or click to purchase credits their review websites generate through traffic. They don’t live off work performed actually using the tools.

But I would accept this… even if all they did was review tools and didn’t have a clue about real world circumstances where nuances between the tools might matter, versus the obvious differences between tools that they identify which really don’t matter… as long as they were comprehensive about including ALL the available comparable tools in their review. But they never do.

A typical review site headline reads: Best Palm Nailer Reviews: Our Top 5 Picks. When all they review is 5. And all 5 are picks. Ok, maybe they like one more than the other 4, but how can any comparative review of palm nailers entirely omit altogether the offerings of Hitachi, Porter-Cable, Ridgid, Powernail, GripRite, etc? And two of the five they did pick are of the SAME manufacture. And one of those is the top pick. Hmmm

So, what’s your favorite full size pneumatic palm nailer? I’ve often not been able to detect a difference in designs at first glance. For example, my knock off nailer from Post Tool doesn’t appear from the casting body to be much different than the Porter Cable PN650… but once taking a closer look at the hammer base, the hammer head, the hammer guide bushing, etc, the differences then come into focus. Same with my Hitachi mini palm, which appears to have an identical casting body, but differences emerge in the back cover (Hitachi has a built in rubberized back) etc.

So… seeking input from the few folks remaining who use palm nailers.

Thanks in advance.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

In shopping for a full size palm nailer, I suddenly became reminded about why I don’t like the majority of tool review websites. Most of them are click bait, written by stay at homes who live off of the ad revenue or click to purchase credits their review websites generate through traffic. They don’t live off work performed actually using the tools.

man you summed that up well.
    I’m not sure what one the best one is but I will say I have friends that have used the Ridgid and it didn’t last lone for a few guys I know.

Clev08
    Pro

One of my coworkers has an older hitachi model that leaks air. Probably just a simple gasket problem that could be fixed easily though.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I totally understand your feelings about the review sites! Most are total junk….any site called “palm nailer review dot com” or whatever you searched for it usually junk! Its amazing how many one off sites there are out there that are dedicated to reviews like that…

Anyway..I have a Grip-Rite palm nailer. I got it for free about 3 years ago when I bought a bunch of metal hardware for a deck. The manager at the local yard threw it in because they happened to be on sale that day. While I probably wouldn’t have chosen that brand if I paid for it myself, it has been a big surprise. It always works, doesn’t leak and seems to have plenty of power. I think the retail price is around $50ish…can’t go wrong there!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

CB
    Spectator

Thanks guys for the discussion.

With palm nailers especially, given their staccato operation (versus one big bang), it is ALL about those “simple gasket” and seal issues that determine how long they last between services.

I don’t mind re-servicing. The problem is getting the parts.

When I was younger I took pride in hand nailing, and was bigger, faster, and stronger at it than I am today. I had L shaped pieces of steel I’d use to bang in nails were there wasn’t swing clearance for a hammer. But now my right elbow hurts just sipping a cup of coffee. So I’ve made more use of a palm nailer in the last 2 years than I had in the previous 20. My old Tawainese knock off palm nailer had not been challenged in years past like it has been recently.

What kills me is that there is nothing physically wrong with the nailer. It likely just needs new elastomerics, and there is at least a half dozen of them inside of various diameters and profiles. I don’t know which one is bad, but that isn’t the problem. The problem is, I don’t know where to get replacements. If I did, I’d replace them all.

Which leads to the first set of characteristic I am seeking in a new full size palm nailer…

1. It MUST be a MAJOR NAME BRAND

2. That brand must have enough reputation, depth, and market penetration to remain around for 20 more years. (After 20 years, I’ll be needing pall bearers, not palm nailers… the last job will be nailing my cedar box)

3. The brand must have a means of selling service parts to mere mortals like me, not just limited to authorized service centers whose labor rates I cannot afford and whose turn around time I cannot abide. I want to be able to strip and reequip in the field.

But there is just one problem with that plan…

I’ve browsed through some schematics of various palm nailers on ereplacement parts, and the price for all the parts to any given palm nailer exceeds the price of a brand new palm nailer by an estimated 500%. It is cheaper to buy a new palm nailer for $100, than it is buy all the parts for it for $500. No wonder our world is drowning in it’s own garbage. Economic coercion into a throw away society. I start pontificating when I can’t get my work done due to the rain.

So, the Ridgid nailer sucks. Check.
    The Grip Rite nailer has been hanging in there for 3 years. Check.

Does anyone have any experience with the Stanley Bostich PN100, or the older PN200?

Based on my local lumber yard having one on the shelf ready for me to buy, and based on b*llsh*t review dot com’s glowing review, I was thinking of picking up the PN100K, because of the different noses… including the long nose. That is the very reason why my otherwise solid little Hitachi NH90AB is not enough… I use extension rods with the palm nailer to positively place nails in hangars in corners at odd angles where not even the palm nailer body can fit. The mini Hitachi nose is not wide enough to use an extension rod thick enough to transfer the beating to the nail.

Yet… every pneumatic Bostich tool I’ve had has failed. Wide crown lathing stapler. Failed. Pin nailer. Failed. I’m sure they are fixable, I just haven’t had time because I haven’t needed those tools in several years. But it makes me gun shy about buying another Bostich.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I have 3 of the Ridgid ones. Two of them are ready to be serviced again. These qualify for the lifetime service, and work as good as any other palm nailer.

KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

My only experience with palm nailers is a bostitch, so I can’t speak to how it performs versus other brands. It’s probably at least 15 years old, don’t know the model #, never serviced, doesn’t get used often but abusively when it does come out, only when there’s a ton of metal connectors to put on. I agree with you that bostitch nailers seem to get leaky prematurely and in fact I think mine was a little the last couple times used….but bostitch parts are readily available, often even on amazon, and other bostitch guns I’ve repaired were easy enough to work on. The name has been around and probably will be for a while, seems like you’ve already talked yourself into it, but thought I’d add my 2 cents. I didn’t know the new ones came with additional tips/extensions, seems pretty handy.
    If you have a HD in your area, I’d also consider the ridgid for the lifetime guarantee, I’m sure it’s an adequate tool and comparable to most other name brand palm nailers

CB
    Spectator

I hadn’t even thought about the Ridgid lifetime guarantee. I normally ignore those type of things as marketing gimmicks. I’ve outlived many so called lifetime guarantees offered by other companies.

However, I have no experience with Ridgids lifetime guarantee. I have some real, original (pre China, Pre Home Depot) Ridgid pipe wrenches from the 1950’s that I inherited. Those don’t need a lifetime guarantee… they actually last a lifetime. Or two.

Warren6810… it sounds like when you said “serviced again” that you were successful at getting Ridgid to service them before. Was that a painful or easy experience?

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I hadn’t even thought about the Ridgid lifetime guarantee. I normally ignore those type of things as marketing gimmicks. I’ve outlived many so called lifetime guarantees offered by other companies.

However, I have no experience with Ridgids lifetime guarantee. I have some real, original (pre China, Pre Home Depot) Ridgid pipe wrenches from the 1950’s that I inherited. Those don’t need a lifetime guarantee… they actually last a lifetime. Or two.

Warren6810… it sounds like when you said “serviced again” that you were successful at getting Ridgid to service them before. Was that a painful or easy experience?

There is a place that is about 20 to 25 minutes away from me. I have had other stuff serviced there, including the palm nailers. I try to wait until I am going that direction before taking them in.

KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

There is a place that is about 20 to 25 minutes away from me. I have had other stuff serviced there, including the palm nailers. I try to wait until I am going that direction before taking them in.

I didnt realize you actually had to take them to a service center. I’ve heard some people say that you could just return to a HD and they would swap you a new one, seemed to good to be true… maybe it depends on the individual store’s policy

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I didnt realize you actually had to take them to a service center. I’ve heard some people say that you could just return to a HD and they would swap you a new one, seemed to good to be true… maybe it depends on the individual store’s policy

Not sure if it is the same everywhere, but around here, you have to find a Ridgid service center. I was just lucky to have one nearby.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You can always send it in to a service center if one is not nearby.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.396 seconds