dcsimg

Palm Nailers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    mark
    Pro
    Jackson, TN

I just recently ran across this cordless Palm Nailer from Milwaukee.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2458-21

Do people still use these things for something other than barn spikes? I seen this cordless version and had to flip a coin to decide between posting this in the power tool or carpentry forum. 😮

I have an old Bostich palm nailer that’s annoying at best, but they save an elbow when driving a lot of long nails. I wouldn’t expect a cordless nailer to put out very long.

Does anyone here use a palm nailer?

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive used them in the past, mostly the bostich.. since metal connectors are more and more common in both renovation and new construction situations.. newere nailer technolgy has come along. theres the rapi-nailer guns which are basically palm nailers but with a magazine… i use the bostich strap nailer though.. its a single fire hanger gun..

the only time a palm nailer comes in handy is for extremely tight quarters such as putting squash blocks in place between joists when the floor is already sheathed. its so rare that i use one now thouhg

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

mark
    Pro
    Jackson, TN

The last time I used mine was for hanger nails, but it was before the strap nailers. I guess tight quarters is about the only application that makes sense. I was looking at mine on Thursday wondering why I continue to keep it around.

kzcarp
    Pro

I use mine still for longer hanger nails and the toe-nails into the side of the joist hangers. But mostly where I can I use a single shot Paslode pp-nailer

kevin

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I use my palm nailer every now and then. I always keep it at hand when I build a deck. PP nailers are great but I always reach for my palm nailer at least a few times.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

they use to be rather pricey.. now with so many companys making plate connecter guns. the palm nailers have really come down in price

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

redwood
    Pro

Yes, the PP nailers have put the palm nailer on the back shelf. I probably use mine 3 or 4 times a year.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

mark
    Pro
    Jackson, TN

I think you have me beat on the usage, Mark.

I wondered if these nailers were headed to the graveyard with folding rulers, but after seeing this Milwaukee version, they’re obviously not.

redwood
    Pro

You might be right, Mark. 3 to 4 times might be stretching it.

Great first name, by the way. Can you change it here so people don’t get confused. Just Kidding.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will try one and be back

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Boyd ask one of the Mark’s if you can buy one cheap. I would never get a cordless one, but for plumbers I could see how it would be useful. strapping in joist bays, and crawl spaces.

mark
    Pro
    Jackson, TN

That’s a good point Brian. I never thought about the plumbers.

redwood
    Pro

I thought that all plumbers do is hack up our framing. JK.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

choadjmd@aol.com
    Pro
    New Cumberland, PA

I own a pneumatic Ridgid palm nailer. I also have an attachment head for my cordless Ridgid multi-tool. Used both for nailing metal hangers before I got a positive placement nail gun.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a couple and they dont get used often. I did have a job way back where one got used for about 3 days straight. We were sistering LVL’s to existing floor joist. We had abour 40 to install about 24 feet long. Two rows of nails 3″ O/C. About 6000 nails. When both LVL’s were in place we only had about 6″ between. We started all of the nails by hand on horses then put them in place and finished driving the nails with the palm nailer. I had the guys alternate on the nailer ,you could only take the vvibration so long. The nailer really paid for itself on that gob.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I have a little Senco, I only use it usually for joist hangers, which I don’t do often. Most of the time I just hand nail it because it’s too far away.

redwood
    Pro

Speaking of cordless palm nailers. A few years ago I saw a add for a Craftman cordless palm nailer. I think it was around $80 including battery and charger. I thought, what the heck, I’ll give it a try because I don’t like dragging a hose around that is heavier then the palm nailer.

It was a joke, I’m not sure it could drive a 8d nail in softwood in less then a minute. It went back the next day. Lesson learned.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Thatkid
    Pro

I am not a big fan of Palm nailers. I would rather hand drive the nail than use a palm nailer.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I am not a big fan of Palm nailers. I would rather hand drive the nail than use a palm nailer.

That seems crazy. Palm nailers save me time and make me $$. I use them often in silly tight spots on renovations. Also for all strapping. I need to get a PP gun to change that but I’ll still use the palm often. Especially now when trying to renovate old damaged homes from hurricane Sandy. The retrofitting makes tight spots.

redwood
    Pro

I use them often in silly tight spots

And that is where they are worth gold. When you don’t have room to swing a hammer or use a nail gun.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.532 seconds