dcsimg

Pallet Shed

This topic contains 275 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  smallerstick 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 276 total)
  • Author

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

but for $115 so far you are doing pretty good.

That is great so far. Really keeping the expenses down on this project.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Great idea! I am thinking I need some sort of structure to store fire wood in. This is giving me ideas. Particularly since I want the air to be able to flow through the wood shed.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Pallets are just the structure. It will have pine board and batten outside and unfinished inside. I will be using it for lumber storage as well as a utility garden shed.

I will be using some pallets for the roof, as well.

I was wondering what you’d store in there! Seems like the design of the pallets would allow for a certain amount of air flow, even with the board and batten on the outside.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

Interesting idea for a build. Not sure I’d build it so close to the ground that way. I would have wanted to keep any pallet wood at least 6-8 inches from grade myself.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

That’s…Uh…Interesting.

But….Why would you do that?????

I can frame an 8×12 shed for probably less than a hundred bucks in 2×4’s.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Looking forward to seeing the progress pictures , great use of reclaimed wood too .

Anonymous

My only comment so far is about the lack of precision in the pallets. There is maybe 1/2″ variation in the height all around. The top plates will not be pretty but with any luck at all will be level enough for a roof.
    It’s only 8 x 12 so what can go wrong? LOL

Total investment so far is $115.

How many pallets will it take? If your pallets are only 1/2″ diff then I’d say you did pretty good, As some peeps know I built a Redneck patio up at my camp with pallets then covered with ply. Painted and carpeted, It came out ok and it’s still perfect today.

I’ve done it before a few times for other peeps but with just any ole pallet I could acquire from my job but they were not identical is size by any means, This time I bought them for only $3 each at a pallet rebuilding outfit. I was able to pick the exact same style and size for them all, Much better.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

My only comment so far is about the lack of precision in the pallets. There is maybe 1/2″ variation in the height all around. The top plates will not be pretty but with any luck at all will be level enough for a roof.

How many pallets will it take? If your pallets are only 1/2″ diff then I’d say you did pretty good, As some peeps know I built a Redneck patio up at my camp with pallets then covered with ply. Painted and carpeted, It came out ok and it’s still perfect today.

I’ve done it before a few times for other peeps but with just any ole pallet I could acquire from my job but they were not identical is size by any means, This time I bought them for only $3 each at a pallet rebuilding outfit. I was able to pick the exact same style and size for them all, Much better.

I estimated 30 pallets max including the roof. I did have to pick and choose to get them lined up for the walls. the shed is based on a standard 40 x 48 size which is the most common.

Great idea for the Redneck patio.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Interesting idea. Seems like a nice, cheap way to build yourself a shed. Look forward to seeing more progress! Good luck!

Clev08
    Pro

Glad it is still holding up for you! For $3 a pallet that’s the route I would go.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

Are you going to sheath the walls and/or the roof? Are you going to put shingles on the roof?

Doobie
    Pro

That’s…Uh…Interesting.

Delta

I’m kinda with Delta on this one. How much effort lugging that to the site and having to wield them around is one doing versus the cost savings in materials which are likely minimal. Isn’t that a bit of an assembly challenge?

But I do like to repurpose things. If that was a strong incentive to do such, I get it. Power to ya! 🙂

Careful if you decide to burn some leftovers or scraps from it in a fire place. They treat pallets with crap that can cause chimney fires over time.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Are you going to sheath the walls and/or the roof? Are you going to put shingles on the roof?

Walls will be pine board and batten and I have some steel offcuts for the roof.

That’s…Uh…Interesting.

Delta

I’m kinda with Delta on this one. How much effort lugging that to the site and having to wield them around is one doing versus the cost savings in materials which are likely minimal. Isn’t that a bit of an assembly challenge?

But I do like to repurpose things. If that was a strong incentive to do such, I get it. Power to ya! 🙂

Careful if you decide to burn some leftovers or scraps from it in a fire place. They treat pallets with crap that can cause chimney fires over time.

It is purely an exercise in economy. The only reason I used new 2×4’s in the walls is to allow for lumber racks. I didn’t want to trust the skid sides to support much weight.

The barn board for the siding is going to be the biggest cost overall.

Good advice on the burning; I have no idea where this stuff has been or what’s in it!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I kinda like the idea myself. Great way to repurpose pallets. Following this along to see the finished product.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Good advice on the burning; I have no idea where this stuff has been or what’s in it!

@doobie, @smallerstick,

Here is a link that was posted up a while back and it has some great info on Pallets and what if any chemicals they contain.

http://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/

I now look for pallets that have the following codes.. As they do not contain any hazardous chemicals.
    The treatment code : [HT] = Heat treatment / [DB] = Debarked / [KD] = Kiln Dried.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Anonymous

The biggest worry I ever had when using/burning used pallets was what chemicals have been spilled on them, at my last campspot I built a fire pit big enough to burn whole pallets as I could get as many as I wanted from work. I’d haul them out there 100 at a time with my dump truck.

I like big camp fires, instead of throwing another log on the fire we would throw on another couple 3-4 pallets at a time lol

Doobie
    Pro

Here is a link that was posted up a while back and it has some great info on Pallets and what if any chemicals they contain.

http://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/

Very informative article there Frank. I don’t recall it being posted before, so thanks for that.

I only know not to burn pallets from learning of info from somebody else about 30 years ago.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I do recall seeing that link, Frank, good information. I don’t plan on burning any of these pallets, though.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I do recall seeing that link, Frank, good information. I don’t plan on burning any of these pallets, though.

I’d only burn heat treated or kiln dried pallet wood.

I think it’s more for if you use the pallet wood for making furniture and stuff.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The biggest worry I ever had when using/burning used pallets was what chemicals have been spilled on them, at my last campspot I built a fire pit big enough to burn whole pallets as I could get as many as I wanted from work. I’d haul them out there 100 at a time with my dump truck.

I like big camp fires, instead of throwing another log on the fire we would throw on another couple 3-4 pallets at a time lol

yah that is what we did for our bon fires as well, we never cooked over them as i don’t think we knew where the pallets were coming from lol. They burned pretty good as well, great free fire wood.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 276 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.888 seconds