dcsimg

Painting trim and doors

This topic contains 32 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Driftweed 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

and for the trim do you also calk your casings etc..?

I caulk basically every intersection. Trim to trim, and trim to wall alike. Are you not doing this?

I do the same for all paint grade projects . Stain grade on the other hand no .

Always willing to learn .

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

thats pretty much a must no matter how tight the joint is.. teh paint will still crack it doesnt matter … the caulking gives flex

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Caulking is a art! Some are good at it and some should not touch a caulking gun.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Caulking is a art! Some are good at it and some should not touch a caulking gun.

I fall into the latter group. I am not good at caulking.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro

I’m hit and miss, especially with doing fine caulking using silicone. Takes the right technique and touch along with patience which I don’t always have when it comes to caulking. Caulking is not one of my stronger skills.

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

Haha, so true.

I see most use caulk to fill the gaps between trim and wall but do you use it for nail holes as well ? I have seen some use drywall mud for the nail holes.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Haha, so true.

I see most use caulk to fill the gaps between trim and wall but do you use it for nail holes as well ? I have seen some use drywall mud for the nail holes.

I use spackle for nail holes. Drywall mud on trim? Have never done that but I suppose it could work.

I don’t mind doing caulking. What I mind is repairing caulking. Getting the old stuff out is usually the worst of the job. Well, that and finding what someone else has covered up.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Anonymous

For painting door I prefer foam roll with brush. If I’m doing base moulding and trims I’ll paint them 2 coats first before nailing them in then just touch up with thin line of caulk.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Haha, so true.

No the nail holes get painters puddy or spakel

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro

I usually prime at least and then paint installed after caulking all around and after spackle. Sometimes I’ll pre-paint. Depends on what works best and what I have going on and then just easy repaint after all the caulk and touch ups.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sometimes I’ll pre-paint

Prepainting works for me especially for out door trim. This way you can get all the edges and the back. The trim seems to last longer if i do the back and the edges before it is nailed in place.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Louvered doors are where the Graco proshot 2 shines. Mod it to hold a 211 ff tip, tape a contractor trash bag on the floor under the door and shoot away. Spray straight at the door, not an angle and you won’t have to worry about overspray passing through and onto stuff it shouldn’t be on.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.423 seconds