dcsimg

Painting Pressure Treated lumber

This topic contains 44 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

I have some PT treated balusters and rail on my front porch that I waited a year to paint, and some is starting to crack and peel after 2 years, but most of it is not bad.

Will

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have some PT treated balusters and rail on my front porch that I waited a year to paint, and some is starting to crack and peel after 2 years, but most of it is not bad.

@wbembrid, I would avoid “paint” on a deck at all costs. A solid stain will look just like paint, but will perform much better. Paint seems to stick when applying it, but the way it forms a skin can lead failure.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie
    Pro

@wbembrid, I would avoid “paint” on a deck at all costs. A solid stain will look just like paint, but will perform much better. Paint seems to stick when applying it, but the way it forms a skin can lead failure.

Totally agree. Paint just ends up trapping water between it and the wood as it cracks and fails over the years which will hasten the wood to rot.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I agree a color fast solid stain is the way to go.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie
    Pro

Even semi stains I’m not crazy about…I like penetrating oils as a first choice that have tones. Doesn’t accelerate rot and if you don’t like it you can usually wait and stain color again different.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.354 seconds