dcsimg

paddle making

This topic contains 48 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

a bent blade paddle usually 12-14 degrees gives a longer duration of stroke. I like using bent blades and can perform a J-stroke with it, just something to get use to.
    I will eventually make a jig for bent blade paddles once I make a steamer box so I can bend the wood.

When I made bent shaft paddles we didn’t use a steam box or a jig. Our shafts were bent at the blade of the paddle.

So you didn’t bend any wood, just glued the blade on at an angle?

That’s right we didn’t bend any wood. We added a piece of wood to the shaft. Then cut the 2 on a angle.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

@irish_red Do you do any paddling or paddle making over there?

I was on Hanalei Canoe Club paddling team for a while when I was younger. They do really well in the inter island competitions but I never competed, I was there for the work out which is incredible. My friend’s family own the team and it’s interesting to see how much technique can be developed over the years, you’d think it’s more about muscle but technique is huge.
    Consumer quality paddles break under stress all the time so everyone who takes it seriously spends a lot of money for really high quality paddles. If I was to start making paddles I wouldn’t accept money for them until I knew the Kanaka Maoli I’m selling it to won’t snap it on it’s first week out on the water.
    Edit: I posted this already but when I edited it disappeared so posting again

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

I guess the paddles for sea use would be much different than others. Actually, there are probably lots of variations for different uses. A sea boat paddle would probably not be the first choice of someone doing white water on river rapids…but better than nothing too….lol.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

a bent blade paddle usually 12-14 degrees gives a longer duration of stroke. I like using bent blades and can perform a J-stroke with it, just something to get use to.
    I will eventually make a jig for bent blade paddles once I make a steamer box so I can bend the wood.

When I made bent shaft paddles we didn’t use a steam box or a jig. Our shafts were bent at the blade of the paddle.

That’s right we didn’t bend any wood. We added a piece of wood to the shaft. Then cut the 2 on a angle.

I am going to bend the wood with the steamer box. have the plans in my head so I am going to give it a try.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

I guess the paddles for sea use would be much different than others. Actually, there are probably lots of variations for different uses. A sea boat paddle would probably not be the first choice of someone doing white water on river rapids…but better than nothing too….lol.

True true. I based my reply on only my experience of seeing a specific type of paddle instead of thinking bigger picture. Don’t white water rafters use oars though?

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

True true. I based my reply on only my experience of seeing a specific type of paddle instead of thinking bigger picture. Don’t white water rafters use oars though?

Been white water rafting several times, some guided trips where the guide does all the paddling via oar’s mounted in the center of the raft. Other trips were paddle trips where everyone in the raft paddled and the guide in the back just steered the raft. on those trips we basically had canoe paddles.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I am going to bend the wood with the steamer box. have the plans in my head so I am going to give it a try.

Sounds interesting. Look forward seeing how it turns out.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

OLD THREAD WARNING

I am starting to make laminate canoe paddles, and wondered if anyone on here has any experience making wooden paddles and can share some tips?

@protom. I am just wondering how you made out with your paddle making. Maybe when you have time you could let us know?

Greg

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Canoe Club

I guess most youths are in a Canoe Club at some time. My son was front seat on the Molokai Ho for Kamanu Composites where he worked. That was the year Luke was chewed up by the prop. Luke is from over there.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.912 seconds