dcsimg

paddle making

This topic contains 46 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  GTokley 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)
  • Author

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

I am starting to make laminate canoe paddles, and wondered if anyone on here has any experience making wooden paddles and can share some tips?

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a friend that makes them, I will see what he has to say.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

IIRC @gtokley here has experience from a paddlemaking factory.

I live in fear that when I die, my wife will sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

No tips on making but I have found a couple of websites that sell wooden paddles so you can check out the style. I would think waterproof glue like Titebond 3 would be an essential. As you move forward, I think a lot of us would like to see your progress and comments. I know I would.

Here’s REI: https://www.rei.com/c/canoe-paddles?r=c&origin=web&ir=category%3Acanoe-paddles&page=1&s_kwcid=PS_Bing%7C401_2743180%7Cwood+canoe+paddle%7CNB%7Cb5d84371-991a-4d24-9b0f-c33dec667395%7Ckwd-25553859009&msclkid=0cf20d73d5e51e0283f15704a00f5466

And Boundary Waters: https://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/paddles

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I am starting to make laminate canoe paddles, and wondered if anyone on here has any experience making wooden paddles and can share some tips?

Yes Peter is right I did work making paddles. It was production shop. Our paddles when all over the world. I never made a paddle from start to finish. But I do have understanding how they are made. Most of the paddles we made were laminate. That was my job making paddle blanks.

Feel free to ask questions. I will see how I can help.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

No tips on making but I have found a couple of websites that sell wooden paddles so you can check out the style. I would think waterproof glue like Titebond 3 would be an essential. As you move forward, I think a lot of us would like to see your progress and comments. I know I would.

Here’s REI: https://www.rei.com/c/canoe-paddles?r=c&origin=web&ir=category%3Acanoe-paddles&page=1&s_kwcid=PS_Bing%7C401_2743180%7Cwood+canoe+paddle%7CNB%7Cb5d84371-991a-4d24-9b0f-c33dec667395%7Ckwd-25553859009&msclkid=0cf20d73d5e51e0283f15704a00f5466

Those are some nice paddles. When I was doing a lot of tripping, I was close to getting a bent shaft paddle but the question was always, what do you do with it on a portage?

I live in fear that when I die, my wife will sell my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Here is some paddle made by the place I worked at.

https://www.mec.ca/en/brand/redtail/products/gear/paddling-gear/paddles/c/1363

Here is some videos of making paddles.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Those are some nice paddles. When I was doing a lot of tripping, I was close to getting a bent shaft paddle but the question was always, what do you do with it on a portage?

I have a bent and love it. It will slide in just like a regular one on a portage. Never had a problem with it when portaging in the Boundary Waters in Northern Minnesota.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I have a bent and love it. It will slide in just like a regular one on a portage. Never had a problem with it when portaging in the Boundary Waters in Northern Minnesota.

I agree with you, Kurt. I was doing a lot of solo tripping and my canoe didn’t have a yoke. I did the old school trick of lashing the paddles across the thwarts for portaging. So, special case, yes, that’s what held me back. Hindsight being 20-20 I should have bought a yoke and a bent shaft but money was tight. What can I say. Just really glad I had those tripping experiences, though.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Paddle making is huge over here with all the 6 man canoe and OC-1 racing. Lot of carbon fiber and wood too. It’s all open ocean over here. This one has carbon fiber edges and back on it. It’s the one my boy used in the Molokai Ho race.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Yes Peter is right I did work making paddles. It was production shop. Our paddles when all over the world. I never made a paddle from start to finish. But I do have understanding how they are made. Most of the paddles we made were laminate. That was my job making paddle blanks.

Maple? What wood goes into lamination process?

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@WSorpa What do you mean about Maple? We use different woods. Sometimes the shaft is made from a different wood.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

@WSorpa What do you mean about Maple? We use different woods. Sometimes the shaft is made from a different wood.

Ash, cherry and birch are commonly used for solid wood paddles. I had an absolutely beautiful birds eye maple paddle at one time but, damn, it was heavy.

Laminated paddles offer an opportunity to use a wide variety of woods, hardwood and soft.

If you can’t learn it on YouTube you can’t learn it at all. I’ve seen a few good videos over the years on this topic. Titebond III would be the absolute best option for glue. Post some pics when you’re done! Would love to see them.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Ash, cherry and birch are commonly used for solid wood paddles. I had an absolutely beautiful birds eye maple paddle at one time but, damn, it was heavy.

Laminated paddles offer an opportunity to use a wide variety of woods, hardwood and soft.

We also used walnut for one piece paddles. I think cherry & walnut were the popular ones we make.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Titebond III would be the absolute best option for glue.

For glue up we only use epoxy.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Epoxy seems to be the favourite for marine use. Some would use TBIII but personally, I would choose epoxy.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Neat pictures and videos, Greg! Thanks for posting those. I someday hope to be asking the same question but for a kayak paddle. My aim is to start this spring/summer in building a strip built kayak. I’ve been following along with Nick Schade’s builds, which are terrific. Highly, highly recommend his videos, especially his more recent ones. I am hoping that he’ll do a video on how he makes paddles at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/user/guillemot12

Good luck with your paddle!

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

We used wood glue. I think it was Titebone. It was white in colour. We used a press to clamp the paddle blanks in. When started the clamping cycle. It would start heat cycle increase drying time. This usually was about a minute.

Neat pictures and videos, Greg! Thanks for posting those. I someday hope to be asking the same question but for a kayak paddle. My aim is to start this spring/summer in building a strip built kayak. I’ve been following along with Nick Schade’s builds, which are terrific. Highly, highly recommend his videos, especially his more recent ones. I am hoping that he’ll do a video on how he makes paddles at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/user/guillemot12

Good luck with your paddle!

Your welcome. Good luck with kayak build.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

Yeah epoxy seems like a stronger glue, I am using titebond 3 for the moment. I plan on fiber-glassing the blades for strength.
    Anyone have any resources for purchasing fiberglass supplies?

I attached photos of my first paddle, one while gluing, and one after initial shaping of the blade.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.819 seconds