dcsimg

@overanalyze's basement (Finally!!)

This topic contains 773 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dirty DirtyWhiteBoy 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 774 total)
  • Author

So after 10 years of living in the house I built, it is finally time to get off my butt and get the main basement room complete. Over the years I have finished a bedroom and a full bathroom in my basement but have always wanted that bar/theater area complete.

This week I got started clearing out the space. That proved to be the most challenging part! Man you can accumulate a lot of stuff!! Once it was clean and empty it was much easier to get motivated about the project.

I took our large floor scrubber down and scrubbed the entire floor. Next I sealed the concrete to add some protection from possible moisture coming up through the concrete. 10 years ago, pouring the basement floor over a vapor barrier wasn’t standard practice in my area so this was the next best solution. I used a penetrating sealer that bonds to the concrete at a molecular level…or so says the manufacturer. It seemed to work well because the next day I mopped the floor again and the water would just bead up on the surface.

Next up this weekend was the framing. I had some friends come over and we slammed it out in a few hours. I will have an 18′ x 16′-6″ theater room and a 20′ x 16′-6′ bar area and extra space for card table, dart area, etc. I think there would be enough room for a 7′ pool table but that isn’t on my list of priorities.

This week will be wiring the basement to get ready for spray foam insulation.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Impressive job and I’m envious of the space. Looking forward to seeing this thread develop.

Impressive job and I’m envious of the space. Looking forward to seeing this thread develop.

Thanks!! I am going to be doing some sound deadening/proofing in the theater area so I will make sure to give details of what I end up doing there.

Andrew

Profile photo of Ron
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Looks like a fun project. What will you use for flooring and ceiling?
    Where do the steps come into the basement?

Looks like a fun project. What will you use for flooring and ceiling?
    Where do the steps come into the basement?

The steps come down where I took the pictures. When I built the house I lined up the basement door and entrance to the house from the garage. Also at the bottom of the stairs is the entrance to the basement bedroom. This way it is a straight shot to get long materials down there.

The steps will be hardwood. Wife doesn’t like carpeted stairs. The bar area will be tile of some kind and the rest carpet for comfort and sound reduction.

Andrew

Profile photo of Ron
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Be careful not to get the wood finish to shiny on the steps. I built a beautiful stair case for a guy a long time ago. I finished them with a catalyzed lacquer and they were to slippery. The guy came down them the first morning in his socks and almost slid down them. Ended up putting a carpet runner down them. Was kinda sad after all the work I had in the finish.
    Good idea having the steps from the garage.
    My garage is in the basement and I love it. I have my shop in the basement and I can carry everything right in or out.

I know…I tried to talk my wife out of it but she doesn’t want the carpet. (Happy wife=happy life) I will use a matte finish for sure. Thanks for the reminder.

Andrew

Profile photo of Ron
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I wonder if you could rout some small groves in the treads for a little traction ?

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I wonder if you could rout some small groves in the treads for a little traction ?

I was going to say nail some plastic mesh type runner down the middle so it doesn’t detract too much from the wood finish.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

What do you plan on putting down as flooring on the painted concrete floor?

I have to tell you, I’m of the thought of never painting concrete floors. Concrete needs to breathe and allow any hydrostatic moisture to transmit away. I’ve perceived over such reading over the years that concrete is like a big hard slow moving sponge in a sense. In painting it, that is largely defeated.

You’re way more the pro than I’ll ever be, especially about concrete. What are your thoughts on this Andrew?

Kevin.

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Looking forward to watching this one come together. It’s always nice when you can work on your own projects.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Profile photo of Bill
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Very nice space. Should be a nice area when you get done. Living in NC that is one thing I miss is a basement. None here the water table is way to high.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Profile photo of Jie
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

What’s the name of the concrete sealer you’ve used? I’ve been thinking about painting the floor but concerned about it chipping and looks like crap down the road.

Profile photo of Christopher
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Nice Andrew! Thought when I first saw the thread you may have some concrete demo involved. Nice that you are already on the framing part of the project. Going to be nice to see the space when you are done.

A Working Pro since 2004

Profile photo of James
    jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

This is going to be a really nice space for you and your family to enjoy. I’m looking forward to seeing it as it goes along!

This would be such a cool project to be able to do. Our basement is just over 6 ft tall and built out of barnstones. They are about two foot thick by 3 foot long.

Profile photo of Warren
    Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Ten years in is actually good progress. Life gets busy, and it takes time to get to things. We have been in for twenty years and I still think I have a few landscape items to finish.

Profile photo of John. L
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That is a nice large amount of space ! Im looking forward to seeing the end results .

Profile photo of Charles
    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

That’s a good sized space. I wish I had that amount of room to work with in my basement.

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Good size space for a entertainment room.
    What did you use for a sill plate gasket?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 774 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 3.805 seconds