dcsimg

Outside storage shed what to get?

• This topic has 74 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by CB.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I want to build a shed to store things. Not really looking to build something to have a workshop in. I’m not even going to have electricity in it.

That seems to be a sensible approach; a place to put the summer stuff in winter and the winter stuff in summer. Having a shed really keeps the clutter in the yard under control.

Exactly. If there is room to store lumber for projects fine. If I wanted to work out of it in the summer I can always run a extension chord out it it

Lumber storage is easy. Just drill holes in the framing to accept lengths of 3/4″ EMT and you’re good to go. EMT is cheap and easy to get and plenty strong enough.

Good idea I was going to use shelving brackets with a piece of wood to go on it.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

sheds and small car tent. I built my shed when I bought my place. Then few years later I need a place store my Atv and lumber. So I bought a car tent. Which I have replace every few years. Then about 4 years ago I need place kids bikes & toys for the winter. I bought a small metal shed. I don’t think I would buy metal again. It is pain put together and the doors are pain to open. I also build wood floor to put this shed on. Really this shed isn’t big enough. But the size of my lot I can’t have any bigger. When I built my shed I bought all my lumber from local mill and work a few hours every night after work for about week until I had done. I would say I was just over a week to a 12 x 8 shed.

would you rebuild your shed to have insulation? I am thinking of building a workshop and was thinking I could do with an insulated larger shed/workshop.

I would say no. This size too small. My walls are 6 foot. I have a small lot here where I live. When I built the shed I wasn’t into woodworking. When I did built it I was thinking about insulating. I really want a bigger shop garage. I am tired of working on vehicles outside.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

sheds and small car tent. I built my shed when I bought my place. Then few years later I need a place store my Atv and lumber. So I bought a car tent. Which I have replace every few years. Then about 4 years ago I need place kids bikes & toys for the winter. I bought a small metal shed. I don’t think I would buy metal again. It is pain put together and the doors are pain to open. I also build wood floor to put this shed on. Really this shed isn’t big enough. But the size of my lot I can’t have any bigger. When I built my shed I bought all my lumber from local mill and work a few hours every night after work for about week until I had done. I would say I was just over a week to a 12 x 8 shed.

would you rebuild your shed to have insulation? I am thinking of building a workshop and was thinking I could do with an insulated larger shed/workshop.

I would say no. This size too small. My walls are 6 foot. I have a small lot here where I live. When I built the shed I wasn’t into woodworking. When I did built it I was thinking about insulating. I really want a bigger shop garage. I am tired of working on vehicles outside.

it all depends whether or not the new house I find has a garage or not, i may need to build a insulated shed or insulated garage if I have time

it all depends whether or not the new house I find has a garage or not, i may need to build a insulated shed or insulated garage if I have time

Thats the good thing about looking. Right now, everything is possible. But with a baby on the way, you won’t have the time. Trust me.

That said, one day, I will build a shed. It will be too small to use as a shop, but will be perfect for storage in the off season, and can be built as a hand-tool only workshop. In that case, a 10X10 is fine.

Doobie

I did build mine with an insulated base/floor. Even if I never insulate the rest of the structure, mine could easily be converted to another purpose structure down the road. It’s a seeling feature and when it comes to insulating it’s a heck of a lot cheaper and easier doing it when you are building it.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

@doobie , how did you go about insulating the floor, did you close off the bottom side of the joists bays first and use batts or did you use rigid foam?

its definitely a good idea as it saves the hastle later on

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think it’s time for another pallet shed.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I think it’s time for another pallet shed.

I’m gonna make a firewood shed from pallets hopefully in a few weeks

Doobie

@doobie , how did you go about insulating the floor, did you close off the bottom side of the joists bays first and use batts or did you use rigid foam?

I closed off the bottoms with half inch PT and 8 big tubes of PL premium. I also put galv mesh on the underside. I put Roxul between the joists and poly on top them my 3/4 inch exterior rated subfloor G1S which I biscuited and glued edge to edge with TB3.

I have another structure to build soon that I NEED to insulate the floor, and I’m not so sure I will go about it the same way. It’s a sauna for my wife with a small change area integrated. The way I did my shed took a lot longer to do the insulated floor than I anticipated. Still pondering how to go about doing the next one. I think I’m gonna start a thread on the sauna build itself and bring it up there at some point.

I closed off the bottoms with half inch PT and 8 big tubes of PL premium. I also put galv mesh on the underside. I put Roxul between the joists and poly on top them my 3/4 inch exterior rated subfloor G1S which I biscuited and glued edge to edge with TB3.

I have another structure to build soon that I NEED to insulate the floor, and I’m not so sure I will go about it the same way. It’s a sauna for my wife with a small change area integrated. The way I did my shed took a lot longer to do the insulated floor than I anticipated. Still pondering how to go about doing the next one. I think I’m gonna start a thread on the sauna build itself and bring it up there at some point.

Im going to have to think about that. While I never planned on insulating my shed when I get around to building it, adding it in during construction is ideal, and I had not considered a metal mesh (I assume to deter furry visitors)

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man Doobie that’s a good floor system you put down! Plenty of H2.5s In fact I’ve never seen one put down that good. Ataboy!!!!!

Doobie

Man Doobie that’s a good floor system you put down! Plenty of H2.5s In fact I’ve never seen one put down that good. Ataboy!!!!!

Thanks Dirty!

Took a lot of time. In greater detail, the implementation of the wire galvanized mesh was the trickiest.I has to glue and place 1X1 PT strips running along the bottom edge of the joist first. Then I had my half inch PT ply cut about a quarter inch shy to fit in between the joists and push them in carefully to nest in the bottom that I had run a thick gob of PL along the tops of the 1X1 PT strips with the galv mesh cut about an extra inch on each side wider than the PT ply with the mesh on the underside of the ply. While they say that Roxul is mice proof, I have heard that mice won’t nest in it, but they will burrow thru it hence the galv mesh being necessary.

What would have speeded all this up would be if I would lay the half inch ply in full sheets with the galv glued on the underside of it under my joists all sitting on top of my 6X6 PT horizontal beams. That would save a lot of work from doing it the way I did it, but it poses other challenges in getting the whole thing flat and level and properly fastening it to the joists. But that’s the way I may try to do it for the sauna structure build coming up later this year once I finish the shed.

I need the sauna structure done to act as a temporary storage work structure for the other backyard builds I need to build. Initially I thought of building it last in my long list of things I’m building out back, but I might as well have it serve another duty to make things more efficient to process with lumber and storage during the rest of the build phases and finish off the inside as intended for the sauna once I’m done.

My 10X20 shed is already crowded with equipment and whatnot and there is very little room for storage of lumber material left. I do have one of those 10X20 temporary metal frame canopy thingies out back, but it is getting beat up and the roof tarp is on its last legs and could tear at any time with a strong windstorm. I don’t want to buy another one to replace it if I don’t have to either, so building the sauna structure will act as its replacement somewhat.

CB
    Spectator

Kevin… very nice looking build.

I’m confused about how you oriented the wire mesh… vertically? around the perimeter, like most foundation venting? Or horizontally, involving the layers in your subfloor structure some way? You might have explained it adequately already, and I need a different (stronger) brand of coffee to wake up the remaining brain cells that haven’t died already. But a second go around with the cliff notes or a photo of the mesh install would probably help me, if you have one.

Doobie

Kevin… very nice looking build.

I’m confused about how you oriented the wire mesh… vertically? around the perimeter, like most foundation venting? Or horizontally, involving the layers in your subfloor structure some way? You might have explained it adequately already, and I need a different (stronger) brand of coffee to wake up the remaining brain cells that haven’t died already. But a second go around with the cliff notes or a photo of the mesh install would probably help me, if you have one.

In some of these photos, particularly along the edges of the narrower edge joist channels, you can see the mesh protruding along the inner perimeter of the joists.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any further images that demonstrate the actual process whereby I push in the half inch ply with the mesh underneath and being wedged on the sides between the half inch ply and the bottom of the joists.

Incidentally, to cut the 3 feet wide mesh, rather than unroll the rolls and cut them by hand, I discovered that keeping them wrapped and fastening the rolls in my Workmate and using a recip saw made quick work of that part of it.

CB
    Spectator

In some of these photos, particularly along the edges of the narrower edge joist channels, you can see the mesh protruding along the inner perimeter of the joists.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any further images that demonstrate the actual process whereby I push in the half inch ply with the mesh underneath and being wedged on the sides between the half inch ply and the bottom of the joists.

That’s quite alright. The new photo that you added in the second set (IMG_20140920_154116.jpg) made it all clear. After you posted this new photo just now, I was able to go back and re read your previous post with much better understanding. Thanks!

Photo I’m referring to attached:

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.537 seconds