dcsimg

Outside storage shed what to get?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I would like your thoughts on storage shed. I live in the Mid West region – Michigan. I get all the weather types and all 4 seasons. I have read differences between Metal, Wood, Plastic/Vinyl sheds and still not sure what would be the best option.

I like the idea of the wood shed so I can add shelves to the walls is I choose to or hooks & etc. I know over a period of time it will start to rot and I see quite a few squirrels.

The plastic too, but my concern is UV protection and security protection as it’s plastic.

Metal seems the way to go for durability and security. The bad is it could rust over period of time and hanging stuff off the walls.

I just need some opinions on this. I’m not even sure what size I will be looking for yet as I need to see what my options are for area and city limitations if their is any. Plus with me being fairly new to the neighborhood I hate to say it, but I don’t trust anyone so I wanna have it locked up. I appreciate it.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I prefer wood sheds myself .The metal , Plastic/Vinyl sheds are cheap and never last as long as a home built shed .

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nice shed CB .
    I agree with building ur own shed. You can make it any size you want and even add on to it later. Did you see what @Doobie built??

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Wow That’s to detailed for me for a shed lol. It’s looks amazing almost like a playhouse.

If I did a wood shed I have a feed sooner or later squirrels would make their way into it.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive built quite a few wood sheds, they offer the best customization.. and you can fastne shelves to them.. the biggest thing is building hte floor out of pressure treated lumber or having a concrete slab with a curb..

the plastic sheds are good for storging items that your not worried about as teh doors are easy to break into,,, fastening shelves to them is a no go as screws have no holdng power

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I’d definitely agree with those saying a wooden shed. You can build your own from scratch or buy a kit with instructions.

You have the most versatility and a much stronger product in the end.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I prefer wood sheds myself .The metal , Plastic/Vinyl sheds are cheap and never last as long as a home built shed .

That’s a amazing looking shed. good job on that one.
    I agree on that – wood shed is the way to go.

I have a shed on my list as well. but not sure if I am able to build it this year. Need to make room first before I can start.
    plastic/vinyl would not survive here in the desert.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Around here there are several companies that build portable wood sheds. You can get them with a metal or shingled roof, siding can be metal, vinyl, or painted Smartside , lots of size and style options. They are built in a shop and hauled out to your lot, or they will build on site if you want.
    Here’s a link to one of the companies here, they may have a dealer close to you I don’t know.
    http://mobile.dudasite.com/site/derksenbuildings_3?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.derksenbuildings.com%2F&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F#2847

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Last summer I built a shed based on used pallets. One winter so far and it’s been ok. I’m about the same weather as you here in southern Ontario.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I would definitely build a wooden structure but maybe if you are worried about the elements using something else fore the siding and such. Make it just like a house frame it and sheath it. You could probably put vinyl siding on for cheap. Just make sure to use house wrap because vinyl siding won’t protect it from the elements. It’s purely for looks.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Last summer I built a shed based on used pallets. One winter so far and it’s been ok. I’m about the same weather as you here in southern Ontario.

quite a transformation. before with only the pellets and then the after picture.
    definitely like your garden set up 😛

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

Build your own out of wood. That’s what I’m doing.

Did you see what @doobie built??

And I hope to get back at it real soon now that we’re starting to get spring type weather. The siding is in my driveway ready for me.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Build your own out of wood. That’s what I’m doing.

Did you see what @doobie built??

And I hope to get back at it real soon now that we’re starting to get spring type weather. The siding is in my driveway ready for me.

you can’t call doobies building a shed. its a 2 story tiny home. The thing is massive, its more like a mini barn and I want one.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Build your own out of wood, it doesn’t have to be anything fancy.
    I had a Royal Shed (vinyl 10’x10′) and it lasted 10 years without issue, until I out grew it and built a garage.

Now that is a NICE shed.

@smallerstick
    Have you noticed if any animals made a home inside?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

If you build it right, you shouldn’t have a problem with squirrels getting in .

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

I agree with the others who say build it with wood. If it’s built properly then you shouldn’t need to worry about rotting for a long time. Use PT for the sill plates (if you plan to pour a slab), weatherize the siding and grade the land appropriately and it should last as long as a house.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Thanks for everyone’s input on this. How do you keep Woodpeckers from putting holes in the wood shed if you have them around?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Thanks for everyone’s input on this. How do you keep Woodpeckers from putting holes in the wood shed if you have them around?

I be more worried about Carpenter Bees moving in.
    Woodpeckers don’t bother with either of my neighbours sheds.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I be more worried about Carpenter Bees moving in.
    Woodpeckers don’t bother with either of my neighbours sheds.

I didn’t think about that and I have a 1 yr old son that I don’t want tog et stung if the bee’s, wasp. hornets build their nest’s

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve got two sheds in my back yard, Both are wood and barn style. One is a little 12′ x 8′ on a cement slab (nothing special), The bigger one is 16′ x 12′ on a full 8′ poured concrete basement foundation. It’s wired with 240v and a breaker box that also feeds 120v to the smaller shed, It’s also insulated and finished off with drywall and T-111 siding. Has an enclosed staircase with a door at the top and bottom to the basement, Although it’s evolved into a junk/storage place now it used to be my little shop years ago.

Whatever size you decide on I suggest to go a bit bigger lol, You’ll be glad you did in the long run

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.488 seconds