dcsimg

Outside faucet replacement

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kurt@welkerhomes.com 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

So about 2 months ago I used my outside faucet and it sprayed out of the house and back inside the house which I had water on the floor in the basement. It was a frost free faucet. The way they hooked it up was with irrigation hose up the a fitting that went to the copper faucet pipe. it was like that when I house the house. I bought a new one that was 10 inches long and copper. I put on a extension copper piece that is about 10-12 long that had a fitting to screw in the faucet pipe and the other end tapered down to maybe a 1/4 inch. I hooked up the irrigation hose up to the tapered end (which was bigger than 1/4 inch and didn’t know what to do. I used electrical tape and wrapped it around so the hose would fit snug. I used a clamp that was on there before and it seemed. After about 15 minutes I heard water gushing and it was flooding my basement. The hose came off (I assume due to the water pressure). I don’t know what to do to hook this back up the way it originally was. I don’t know if I am making myself clear and describing this the correct way. I can take some photo’s tonight of the bad part and what I installed.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

by Irrigation hose I am guessing you are talking about black plastic pipe. If that is the case, you want to use a barbed fitting to transition the irrigation pipe to the copper. they make male and female fittings

Attachments:

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

. I don’t know what to do to hook this back up the way it originally was

That’s good, because it’s wrong. A picture would help, but I suggest removing everything from the new frost free to where ever that hose comes from. You can then do it correctly

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Ok Kurt. Here are so pics of the old line that I cut off and pics of the line and fitting hooked up.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

More pics .

Here is a question can you hook PVC pipe to copper?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Yes, you can connect copper to CPVC. Electrical tape and a worm clamp isnt the way to do it though.

Your hose bib should have some sort of fitting on the interior end of it…threaded, pex, copper swet, something. Looks like a copper swet to me from the pictures. I would return it for a version with threads and get a CPVC adapter that threads onto the hose bib and gets glued to the plastic pipe that connects to the rest of the system.

EDIT: @hojo04, is your house plumbed with CPVC pipe or copper? I’m not seeing any plastic in the picture, but you asked if it could be connected to copper….

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

It’s copper but, I was wondering if I could use PVC from the faucet to the black irrigation hose. Just that section only.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It’s copper but, I was wondering if I could use PVC from the faucet to the black irrigation hose. Just that section only.

I missed something…why do you need the irrigation hose anyway? Where is it going?

Jon P.
    Instagram

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

Why do you want to keep the black tubing ? Are you planning to irrigate your basement ? Have you or can you sweat copper ? If not you can put this back together with a few compression fittings and a length of copper pipe. Like Jon said get a valve with threaded end to start with. Personally I would add a union right at the end of the valve and end where it ties into the house copper with a boiler drain valve. That way you could shut off the supply to the bib, open the bib to drain it over the winter months so it doesn’t freeze again, and the union would make it super easy to replace the bib if ever needed.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

That’s how it was when I got the house. They ran a separate line that didn’t goto the water softer so when you use the water its straight from the well. I have 2 outside faucets. Looks like the put a T connector/fitting on the copper pipe and ran the black irrigation hose from there to each outside faucet. So I’m trying to keep wheat they have till I have the money and time to fix it.

I have not sweat copper before and I know you have to make sure you get all the way around the fittings.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That’s how it was when I got the house. They ran a separate line that didn’t goto the water softer so when you use the water its straight from the well. I have 2 outside faucets. Looks like the put a T connector/fitting on the copper pipe and ran the black irrigation hose from there to each outside faucet. So I’m trying to keep wheat they have till I have the money and time to fix it.

I have not sweat copper before and I know you have to make sure you get all the way around the fittings.

Ah, I see now.

Ditch the irrigation tubing. Its junk and not the right stuff for this application. Trace it back to the beginning and start fresh. If you are concerned with sweating the copper pipe, use a shark bite fitting on the copper and transition to PEX. Run the Pex to the hosebib (both of them) and call it a day.

Jon P.
    Instagram

The original looks to be like it is not the proper faucet for frost protection and the pipe burst due to freezing. You want one with the guts inside the home where it is warm. I have had the same issue in my home due to someone cutting corners. You want one similar to the photo, and plumbed in with proper fittings.

https://cdn2.tmbi.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/FH05APR_FAUCET_01.JPG

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Thanks for the info Jon and Jim. I hope I explained myself enough for others and you to understand.

RyanF
    Pro

Use sharkbites and cpvc, yellow glue. It’s the most sensible and DIY friendly solution.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would ditch the Irrigation tubing also and replace it with PEX. it is quick and easy, use the shark bite fittings if you do not have access to an expander they are quick and easy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.468 seconds