dcsimg

Outside Electrical outlets question

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I own a older house that only has a one outdoor outlet a the back of the house. I have electrician coming next week to update my service and add couple outlets. I want to add more 1 or 2 outlets outside also. I would like have a outlet at my side door & front door. I am just wondering if this makes sense to do or is this a normal practice?

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Makes perfect sense to me. I like having a few outlets around the house. Makes things much easier when I need power.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

It’s normal.
    Put one next to the garage door too.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Never hurt to have too many receptacles.

I would make sure the receptacles are on 20A wiring just because outdoor usages tend to be more demanding power tools.

Install GFCI receptacles unless they are already on a GFCI breaker.

Since EVs are getting more and more popular you might get the front driveway or inside garage a ready to go special receptacle for your future Tesla LOL!

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Makes perfect sense to me. I like having a few outlets around the house. Makes things much easier when I need power.

Thanks! I know it was a bit of pita to hook Christmas lights on the front of the house when the only outlets is at the very back of the house.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

It’s normal.

Thanks!

Put one next to the garage door too.

No garage yet.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Never hurt to have too many receptacles.

This what I was thinking.

I would make sure the receptacles are on 20A wiring just because outdoor usages tend to be more demanding power tools.

I will keep this in mind. Thanks.

Since EVs are getting more and more popular you might get the front driveway or inside garage a ready to go special receptacle for your future Tesla LOL!

I guess you never what will happen.

Greg

I own a older house that only has a one outdoor outlet a the back of the house. I have electrician coming next week to update my service and add couple outlets. I want to add more 1 or 2 outlets outside also. I would like have a outlet at my side door & front door. I am just wondering if this makes sense to do or is this a normal practice?

Yeah definitely a good idea , obviously the electrician will put them on a GFCI breaker, they definitely are practical , most newer houses have a few of them , usually 1 at the front and back plus 1 at the garage , but seeing as you don’t have a garage , maybe he can put a few in the crawl space you have under the house , unless you already have some

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I would like have a outlet at my side door & front door. I am just wondering if this makes sense to do or is this a normal practice?

Makes sense to me too. I have outside outlets both front and back and even on the back wall to the shop. This way I can have power anywhere outside without having to use a ton of extension cords.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

obviously the electrician will put them on a GFCI breaker, they definitely are practical

This what I was thinking!

, maybe he can put a few in the crawl space you have under the house , unless you already have some

Don’t really need any in the crawl space as there is 2 in the crawlspace already.

Also planning on having another outlet installed in the kitchen. The main reason the electrician is coming to change our fuse panel to breaker panel and update the service coming into the panel. They were suppose come in October.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

when you change to a new panel make sure to get as many slots as you can allow for future expansion.

with more and more demand you never know if you might want to add a circuit for this, a circuit for that down the road.

Many panels allow for “thin” or half size breakers. You can see them advertised as “20 slots 40 circuits” enclosures but to maximize it you have to use thin breakers. The issue with thin breakers is they don’t typically make GFCI or AFCI breakers in half sizes. So go the maximum allowed slots if at all possible.

It’s not always possible to install outside receptacles on a dedicated GFCI breakers. Sometimes it’s easier if there is a box on the inside already and just to extend that box outside to add a surface mount receptacle without going through the trouble of running new wiring all the way from the panel just for one receptacle here and one there. Of course code dictates as some places you cannot extend beyond the area the circuit serves, like if it’s a circuit that serves small appliances inside kitchen many places will not allow it to be split off to one outside receptacle, or some places do not allow lighting and receptacle circuits to mix on new work.

obviously the electrician will put them on a GFCI breaker, they definitely are practical

, maybe he can put a few in the crawl space you have under the house , unless you already have some

Don’t really need any in the crawl space as there is 2 in the crawlspace already.

Also planning on having another outlet installed in the kitchen. The main reason the electrician is coming to change our fuse panel to breaker panel and update the service coming into the panel. They were suppose come in October.

Have you thought about putting in a surge protector in the new panel , I don’t have one , but was thinking about getting one installed , I usually have power /surge protector power bars for tvs and other electronic items , but having the whole house protected I’d good , just a thought

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Have you thought about putting in a surge protector in the new panel , I don’t have one , but was thinking about getting one installed , I usually have power /surge protector power bars for tvs and other electronic items , but having the whole house protected I’d good , just a thought

No I haven’t given any thought. I too have surge protector power bars on my tv’s

Greg

Clev08
    Pro

An easy way to add exterior outlets that I have done on my house and garage was to install light fixtures with outlets built into the side. These are a patriot lighting product I think, they came from Menards.
    The reason we picked them was for their design and the fact that we can just plug our Christmas lights into the light instead of dropping a cord all the way to the ground and around the side of our house. They are 15 amp plugs and they do work with power tools.

The only ‘down side’ if you can even call it that is the light has to be on for the outlets to work.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

An easy way to add exterior outlets that I have done on my house and garage was to install light fixtures with outlets built into the side. These are a patriot lighting product I think, they came from Menards.

The reason we picked them was for their design and the fact that we can just plug our Christmas lights into the light instead of dropping a cord all the way to the ground and around the side of our house. They are 15 amp plugs and they do work with power tools.

The only ‘down side’ if you can even call it that is the light has to be on for the outlets to work.

I haven’t seen lights like this before. Not even sure you can buy them up here. It would be a solution to my problem. But would like to have outside outlets for plugging the block heaters in the winter time and to plug the shop vac into when cleaning out the vehicles. I already replaced all the outside lights on the house.

Greg

Doobie

For the one at your front door for the Christmas lights, do what I did, set it up to a hardwired receptacle programmable timer outlet switch inside. Something like this…

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mytouchsmart-mytouchsmart-simple-set-in-wall-timer/1001002090

That way you can have the lights go on and off when you want. For other occasions, there’s typically an easy overide button press to live the outlet for when you need it, otherwise it is off. During non-Xmas time when you don’t need the timer, you just program the timer not to activate and it stays ready for next year’s lights with all the timer instructions intact.

I also suggest having the plastic cage type of covered outdoor outlets where you can keep things plugged in in any weather. You can get them in white or grey at HD/Lowes.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/red-dot-electrical-cover-for-plastic-duct/1000857211

I currently have four outdoor outlets and still want to add maybe two more. When we bought the house it only had one and like yours, it was at the back of the house.

I concur with what Sami suggested with going 20A also. But that may not be easy in all locations as you will need 12 gauge wiring to it from the panel versus just maybe taping off existing wiring that is likely all 14 gauge for reg outlets and lights in your house.

Those plastic protective covers are so much better than the typical one that comes with the outdoor GFCI outlets
    I put one in about two years ago next to our gazebo , still working great ,

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

As far as those light fixtures that have built in receptacles they are probably not rated for power tools. Typical your house wiring would be either 15A with 14awg or 20A with 12awg, but light fixtures can be 16awg or even 18awg sometimes because they were intended for lights only. I would check to make sure these fixtures have thicker wires before I would plug in an extension cord to it for a miter saw or concrete hammer.

On the other hand why do you all still use plugged in Christmas lights? I threw all mine out years ago
    Solar Christmas lights are so easy and no cords and plugs. Many people have switched over to solar Christmas lights down here where we have sun.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

For the one at your front door for the Christmas lights, do what I did, set it up to a hardwired receptacle programmable timer outlet switch inside. Something like this…

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mytouchsmart-mytouchsmart-simple-set-in-wall-timer/1001002090

That way you can have the lights go on and off when you want. For other occasions, there’s typically an easy overide button press to live the outlet for when you need it, otherwise it is off. During non-Xmas time when you don’t need the timer, you just program the timer not to activate and it stays ready for next year’s lights with all the timer instructions intact.

I also suggest having the plastic cage type of covered outdoor outlets where you can keep things plugged in in any weather. You can get them in white or grey at HD/Lowes.

I really like that idea. I already have programmable plug that can be used in outlet. It works really good. I use to turn on my xmas lights since I got it and I use for block heaters on the vehicles.

I currently have four outdoor outlets and still want to add maybe two more. When we bought the house it only had one and like yours, it was at the back of the house.

Really you had one outlet in the back of the house too. I wonder why this done back then?

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

On the other hand why do you all still use plugged in Christmas lights?

Good question. Now sure really. I bought these led xmas lights 3 or 4 years ago. Honestly I only got them for the girls as they liked looking at them.

Solar Christmas lights are so easy and no cords and plugs. Many people have switched over to solar Christmas lights down here where we have sun.

I can’t say I have that many solar Christmas lights before.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.288 seconds